Copy Cat Taco Seasoning Mix is a great substitution for the packets that you buy in the store. The best part is, this mix actually tastes better, and you are in control of what is going into your food. For something this simple there is no need to buy commercial taco seasoning packet ever again.
Why Make Your Own Taco Seasoning?
I have been making this recipe for years as it is super simple, healthier, and cheaper. I love that I know that I am putting real ingredients in my families food.
Have you ever read the ingredients on the back of a taco seasoning packet? I am staring at a packet that I have had in my pantry for probably as long as I have come up with this recipe.
It is an omen. I must have kept it long enough so I could read off the ingredients to you. 🙂
Here are the ingredients as they are listed on the back of my packet:
Whey onion, modified corn starch, salt, sugar, paprika, garlic, natural flavors with oleoresin paprika (for color), silicon dioxide (anticaking agent), spices including chili pepper, caramel color (contains sodium bisulfite), disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate.
I had to look up disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate and they are similar to MSG and can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals. I am actually allergic MSG so I’m glad I looked this up.
Do you really want to eat this stuff? You don’t need to anymore…
Low Carb and Sugar Free Version of Taco Seasoning Mix
Due to some health concerns of mine, my husband and I recently started following a keto diet. Because my original version of the taco mix has corn starch and sugar, I played around with substitutions until I came up with a sugar free and cornstarch (carb) free option. I’m so excited because it literally tastes that same as the original version!
The recipe calls for cornstarch in order to help thicken the water and seasoning mixture into a sauce. To make this a lower carb version, I substituted 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon of xantham gum, but it’s not necessary. You could just use 1/2 cup of water, instead of 3/4 cup and let the liquid reduce. If you do use xantham gum, be careful not to add too much as it can quite literally give it a gummy texture.
What Do I Need to Make Taco Seasoning Mix?
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
- Erythritol (Sugar Substitute)
- Garlic Powder
- Zantham Gum
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt (My Favorite Salt!)
How to Make Copy Cat Taco Seasoning Mix
Each recipe makes the equivalent to one taco seasoning packet. I often triple or quadruple the recipe and store in a airtight container to have on hand. When you go to make the recipe you would use approximately 4 tablespoons of the mixture.
To make taco meat, brown 1 lb ground beef, then add seasoning along with 3/4 cup of water. Cook until the water reduces and the mixture thickens to your desired consistency. Usually this process takes about 5 to 10 minutes on medium high.
This version is mild, but you can definitely add cayenne pepper to increase the heat. Actually feel free to play around with any of the seasoning quantities to your liking.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tsp oregano powder)
- 1 teaspoon.sugar (or substitute 1 tsp. stevia or 2 tsp. erythritol)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (or substitute -1/8 to ¼ teaspoon xantham gum)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, adjust to your liking
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl combine all of the above ingredients.
- Each recipe is equivalent to a package of taco seasoning mix you would buy in the store.
- To make taco meat: brown 1 lb. ground beef (drained), add taco seasoning mix, and ¾ cup of water.
- Over medium high heat, cook until liquid is reduced and meat mixture reaches your desired consistency.
Popular Recipes You’re Going to Love
I Would Love to Hear From You!
- Tell me how your healthy eating plan going? How do you juggle your diet plan with your lifestyle and family needs?
- Let me know how you like these recipes. Maybe you made the recipe but a different variation? Let me know about that too!
- Get your recipe featured on this site! Feel free to send any of your favorite recipes and I’ll select a few from our readers to add to our site – and I’ll give you all the credit! Please only send recipes of your own creation!
Email us at email@example.com
Sign Up For Our Newsletter So You Don’t Miss Any Recipes
We’d love for you to sign up for our newsletter so you can get all the tasty goodness straight into your inbox. xoxo
Pin me please! Share me with others…