Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix is a great substitution for the packets that you buy in the store. Easy to make (less than 5 minutes) using all-natural ingredients with spices right out of your pantry! Hooray for that - let's make it!
- 🎥 Watch How to make Taco Seasoning
- Why you'll love Keto Taco Seasoning
- How to use this Copycat Taco Seasoning
- Low Carb Taco Seasoning Ingredients
- Keto Taco Seasoning Recipe Variations
- How to make Taco Seasoning
- How to use Low Carb Taco Seasoning
- How to store Copycat Taco Seasoning
- Top Tips for the Best Taco Seasoning Mix
- Keto Taco Seasoning FAQs
- ✔️ More Mexican Recipes
- More Recipes You Will Love
- ⭐ Let's Connect
- 💬 Comments
🎥 Watch How to make Taco Seasoning
Why you'll love Keto Taco Seasoning
"I have been making this homemade taco seasoning mix recipe for years as it is super simple, healthier, and cheaper. I love that I know that I am putting real ingredients in my family's food." -Kori
Make your own! Homemade taco seasoning is super easy to make! Like, less than 5 minutes easy to make. More than likely, you will have these ingredients in your pantry already too! Make extra to store and keep on hand for later.
Have you ever read the ingredients on the back of a taco seasoning packet? I am staring at a packet that I have had in my pantry for probably as long as I have come up with this recipe. It is an omen. I must have kept it long enough to read off the ingredients to you. 🙂
Here are the ingredients as they are listed on the back of my packet:
Whey onion, modified corn starch, salt, sugar, paprika, garlic, natural flavors with oleoresin paprika (for color), silicon dioxide (anticaking agent), spices including chili pepper, caramel color (contains sodium bisulfite), disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate.
I had to look up disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate, and they are similar to MSG and can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals. I am actually allergic MSG, so I'm glad I looked this up.
Do you really want to eat this stuff? You don't need to anymore...
Healthy Keto Taco Seasoning Recipe
Because the store-bought versions of taco seasoning mix packets contain so many unhealthy ingredients, I played around with ingredients until I came up with this healthy taco seasoning mix recipe!
I'm so excited because it literally tastes better than my store-bought packet! Voila! a keto taco seasoning recipe was born! 🙂
- This is a low carb and keto taco seasoning recipe.
- No dairy has been added.
- This is a sugar free taco seasoning.
- This taco seasoning is gluten free.
- No unhealthy "unprounceable ingredients" are used.
How to use this Copycat Taco Seasoning
There are several ways you can use this taco seasoning mix recipe!
1 taco seasoning mix recipe = 1 store bought packet
Use 1 recipe for per pound of ground beef.
- Use 1 recipe per pound of meat.
- Use any ground meat - ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey, ground pork.
- Make tacos! Mexican Ground Beef Recipe or Shrimp Tacos
- Use it in soup! Creamy Beef Taco Soup or Chicken Fajita Soup
- Make zucchini taco boats, taco stuffed peppers, or zucchini ground beef taco casserole.
Low Carb Taco Seasoning Ingredients
Here are the ingredients and equipment you will need to make this taco seasoning mix recipe:
Full ingredient amounts are listed in the recipe below 🙂
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
- Granulated Sugar Substitute or Regular Sugar
- Garlic Powder
- Paprika - I used regular in ths recipe but frequenly use smoked paprika. It adds an amazing smoky flavor!
- Cayenne Pepper - I used ground cayenne pepper but you could also use crushed red pepper flakes. Adjust the seasoning to taste
- Kosher Salt - I use this kosher salt brand which is less salty than table salt. If you use table salt use slightly less and adjust to your taste preference.
- Ground Black Pepper
- Optional thickener: 1 teaspoon cornstarch (or substitute 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
Keto Taco Seasoning Recipe Variations
There are several ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- This taco seasoning recipe is mild. Make it spicier by adding more ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, or more cayenne pepper.
- Make it green taco seasoning by using green chili powder in place of the red chili powder.
- Make it smoky! Use chipotle powder (will add spicy heat too) or smoked paprika.
- Eliminate the sugar substitute or regular sugar if desired. The sweetness is used to counterbalance the spices but it is not essential.
How to make Taco Seasoning
Here's how to make your own taco seasoning mix recipe:
Each recipe makes the equivalent of one Taco Bell taco seasoning packet.
Mix The Spices
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together (images 1 and 2).
Use or Store Mix
- Use wherever a taco seasoning packet is called for - or in any favorite recipe. (image 3). To make taco meat, see next steps.
- Store in an air-tight container for later use.
Note: This version is mild, but you can definitely add cayenne pepper to increase the heat. Actually, feel free to play around with any of the seasoning quantities to your liking.
How to use Low Carb Taco Seasoning
Making your own taco meat is easy. Here is what you need to do:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown 1 lb ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey, pork).
- Once ground meat is done cooking, drain the grease.
- Add taco seasoning along with 3/4 cup of water. Bring to a rapid simmer and cook until the water reduces and the mixture thickens to your desired consistency , approximately 5 to 10 minutes. (Image 4)
How to store Copycat Taco Seasoning
Store this seasoning mix in an air-tight container for up to 6 months in your pantry.
Top Tips for the Best Taco Seasoning Mix
- I often triple or quadruple the recipe and store in an airtight container to have on hand for future recipes! When you want to use your large batch seasoning in a recipe, use approximately 4 tablespoons of the mixture for each pound of meat or seasoning packet called for. Use more if needed.
- For best flavor use the freshest dried spices as possible - especially if you plan on making a large batch of this to store for later.
- Adjust any seasoning to your taste preferences - make it spicier make it milder, etc. It's your recipe feel free to play around with it.
Keto Taco Seasoning FAQs
Each recipe is different, but in this one, we use chili powder, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, ground black pepper, and a sugar substitute.
We also call for xanthan gum as an optional thickener. It is not required. The sugar substitute can be omitted as well.
A store-bought taco seasoning packet usually calls for 3/4 cup water. This homemade recipe also uses 3/4 cup.
This recipe should be used with 1 pound of meat. Double the recipe for 2 pounds of meat. Most store-bought seasoning packets call for 1 pound of meat. So you will need 2 packets for 2 pounds of meat.
When making tacos you do not need to mix the taco seasoning with water first. After draining the ground meat, return it to the skillet, then add water and the taco seasoning mix. Mix it all then simmer until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
Whether you buy a store-bought taco seasoning packet or make our healthy homemade recipe, the instructions are the same. Here are the taco seasoning packet instructions:
1. In a large skillet brown 1 pound of ground beef over medium high heat.
2. Once cooked, drain the grease. Return beef to the skillet and add seasoning packet and 3/4 cup water.
3. Bring to a simmer and cook until water starts to evaporate and the sauce thickens to your liking.
This taco seasoning recipe is keto-friendly. Many store-bought taco seasoning packets are not.
Each recipe is different, but this taco seasoning recipe has only 2.6 grams of carbohydrates (1.4 net carbs)
There is 1 ounce of taco seasoning in a packet, which is about 2 tablespoons of seasoning mix.
You should use 2/3 cup water for each taco seasoning packet. If using our taco seasoning recipe, 2/3 to 3/4 cup of water is used.
For every 1 lb ground beef, use 2 tablespoons of store-bought taco seasoning mix, or our entire recipe.
✔️ More Mexican Recipes
Looking for more Mexican-inspired recipes? Here are a few tasty recipes I think you'll really enjoy:
- Seafood Enchiladas
- Carne Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup)
- Easy Fresh Homemade Guacamole
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas Bake (Low Carb and Keto)
- Skinny Lemon Mojito Recipe
- Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup (Low Carb and Keto Soup Recipe)
More Recipes You Will Love
⭐ Let's Connect
If you tried this Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix (Healthy Taco Seasoning Recipe) is a great substitution for the packets that you buy in the store. Great seasoning mix for your next Mexican recipe adventure. A low carb, gluten-free, keto taco seasoning recipe. #tacoseasoning #mexican #seasoningmix #healthyrecipe #lowcarb #keto #tacobellseasoning #spices #tacos #glutenfree #whole #sugarfree