Mexican Street Corn Salad is just like the traditional version with the corn on the cob - but dare we say, better? Sweet corn, tomato, peppers, cheese, and the most wonderful creamy lime dressing. Eat is as is - dip your tortilla chips, or top your tacos or favorite grilled meat with it. Let's make it!
You'll ❤️ Mexican-Style Street Corn Salad
"Just like your favorite Mexican street corn on the cob - but now it's an extra tasty salad!"
I have enjoyed this side salad so many different ways! It's a salad, it's a dip, it's a topping. Goes with so many main dishes and proteins.
It's always a hit at family potlucks, work parties, or over to a friend's house.
This salad is both delicious is gluten-free and loaded with vegetables. The fat and calorie content can be adjusted by using low fat or fat free mayonnaise and sour cream.
🥘 What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Mexican street corn salad:
Frozen Sweet Corn - can use fresh ears if preferred.
Green Bell Pepper - green bell pepper is the classic but if you want to go sweeter you could use red, orange, or yellow.
Red Onion - adds sweetness and color.
Tomato - use any favorite fresh tomato.
Cotija Cheese - if you haven't tried this cheese before, it will remind you of finely grated parmesan cheese.
Fresh Lime Juice - fresh juice has the best flavor and much more preferred than bottled.
Garlic - to save time feel free to use minced "jar-lic."
Salt - kosher salt is what I use the most.
Ground Black Pepper
Fresh Jalapeno - adds a little spice. Start with a little and adjust as needed.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making Mexican street corn salad:
Pull your corn out of the freezer and thaw. Drain any excess liquid from the corn.
Add All Ingredients
Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl.
Mix dressing ingredients in a separate bowl, and then pour over salad ingredients in the large bowl.
Mix all ingredients until well coated.
Cover and refrigerate your salad for a minimum of 1 hour, then serve!
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve this corn salad:
- Serve this salad with some tortilla chips as a dip at a party!
- Top your Cowboy Ribeye Steak or Chipotle Steak with the corn salad, or serve with some Quesabirria tacos!
- Serve over your favorite protein for lots of flavors! I suggest chicken breast, steak, pork, and fish.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- You can also use grilled corn. I like to char grill the corn to give it flavor, then remove when still crisp. You can buy frozen grilled corn kernels in some stores - making it super easy! A third option is to toast the corn kernels in a dry skilled over high heat. Be sure to cool the corn before adding to your salad.
- Increase the spice level by adding more jalapeno or using some red pepper flakes.
- Add any additional spices to your taste! Common spices used in street corn are chili powder and smoked paprika. Start with a small amount and increase to taste.
- Frozen or canned corn can be used. Either will work perfectly! I prefer to use fresh ears of sweet corn in the summer when in season. Just cut the kernels off.
💭 Top Tips
- Store this salad in the refrigerator for an hour before serving to allow it to blend together.
- If your salad is too sweet, add more lime juice to your salad until a balanced taste.
- Keep the same size dice cut when chopping, so all ingredients are equal.
Mexican street corn is made by grilling corn on the cob and then coating the grilled cob with a mixture of mayonnaise, sour cream, cotija cheese, chili powder, and lime.
It is said that corn on the cobb is a popular street food down in Mexico. Also known as elote, corn on the cobb is very colorful and flavorful. It is topped with crumbled cheese, spices, and herbs.
✔️ More Mexican Recipes
Your street corn salad would go well with any one of the dishes below! Enjoy!
- Carne Enchiladas
- Mexican Ground Beef and Potatoes
- Chicken Tinga Tostadas
- Seafood Enchiladas
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 4 cups frozen sweet corn (or, 5 medium ears corn, husks removed and corn cut off)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped ¼" pieces)
- ½ cup red onion (chopped)
- 1 large tomato (about 8 ounces, cut into ½" cubes)
- ¾ cup cotija cheese (crumbled)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1 jalapeno (finely chopped)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- juice of ½ a lime (add extra to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Thaw corn and drain any liquid.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- Add salad dressing ingredients to a medium sized bowl and mix. Pour over salad and toss together.
- Refrigerate a minimum of 1 hour.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Add fresh jalapeño if you want to add spice.
- TOP TIPS: Adjust any seasoning to taste. Allow salad to sit a minimum of 1 hour so that the flavors can blend. If the salad is too sweet add more lime juice.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Pairs really well with this Cowboy Ribeye Steak with Cumin Chili Rub or Quesabirria.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™