These Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs are packed with fresh flavor from soaking in a quick marinade! Plus, they are cooked on the grill, which enhances so much more flavor. Great with bone-in chicken thighs too and instructions are provided. 🙂
You'll ❤️ These Grilled Chicken Thighs
"Boneless grilled chicken thighs are so easy and stress-free. Everyone is happy to eat these - and I'm happy because they are simple to make!"
This grilled chicken thighs recipe with this delicious marinade is quick to throw together before work and have the chicken marinate in the fridge all day! After marinading it's just a matter of grilling.
The perfect weeknight meal to come home to after work. Marinate your chicken thighs while you're gone, and fire up the grill when you're ready to cook dinner. It's as easy as it sounds!
This recipe is keto-friendly, low-carb, dairy-free, and gluten-free! Make any adjustments to this recipe as you need to meet your dietary restrictions.
🥘 What You Will Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this grilled chicken thighs recipe:
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
Parsley - fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried
Basil - fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
Rosemary - fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried crushed
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Lemon Juice - fresh squeezed lemon juice is best
Brown Gugar - or sugar-free brown sugar substitute
Ground Black Pepper
Dried Red Pepper Flakes - these can be options, but they add a really nice zest and a hint of spice.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make
Here's how to make this recipe and grill chicken thighs:
Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
In a large resealable bag, pour the marinade over the chicken thighs and seal. Make sure to cover all sides of the chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 10 hours.
Note: This recipe makes enough to marinate 6 to 8 bone-in or boneless chicken thighs.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Add the boneless chicken thighs and cook 5-7 minutes per side or until chicken reaches 165°F using an instant-read thermometer.
Make sure to close the lid when grilling to enhance the flavor!
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, with the heat on one side only. Place the chicken thighs face down on the lit side of the grill (direct heat) and grill for 4 to 5 minutes until they turn golden brown. (Note: watch the heat carefully. You don't want them to burn. Move the chicken around if needed.)
Turn the chicken over and move the chicken to the unlit side (indirect heat) of the grill and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Remove chicken from the grill, cover, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve grilled boneless chicken thighs:
Meal idea! Served grilled chicken thighs with baked beans and a strawberry goat cheese salad!
Pairs well with - a side of air-fryer green beans, or with a blue-cheese wedge salad to keep your meal on the healthy side, or add a side of potato salad, mashed potatoes, or grilled scalloped potatoes.
Garnish - with scallions and any sauce you happily enjoy with your grilled chicken.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Spicy - add more chili pepper flakes with the marinade, or sprinkle a little on right before the chicken hits the grill.
- Substitute - chicken breasts, pork chops, pork loin, fish fillet, or various cuts of steak. Remember that cooking times may differ from protein to protein.
- Kid-friendly option - marinate fresh chicken strips made from breast meat, create healthy, homemade chicken fingers for the kids, and serve with our peach bbq sauce or blueberry bbq sauce!
💭 Top Tips
- Use fresh herbs to marinate your chicken for the best flavor before grilling.
- Marinating chicken thighs for at least 6 to 8 hours is ideal for maximum flavor, tenderness, and juiciness!
- Make sure to preheat your grill to the proper temperature before placing the chicken thighs onto the hot grate. This will allow for nice caramelization and charring flavors on your chicken thighs.
- Remember to cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees at its thickest part.
Skinless chicken thighs take approximately 7 to 10 minutes to grill per side and have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F using an instant-read thermometer. When using a thermometer, please insert it into the thickest part of the protein to guarantee proper doneness.
Gas grilling is more indirect heat than a charcoal grill, which can take a bit longer to cook but is more temperature-controlled and can help prevent your chicken from burning. At 425 degrees F, larger bone-in thighs can take up to 45 minutes to cook, whereas smaller 6-ounce thighs can cook more quickly in about 35 minutes.
Start by preheating your grill to approximately 400 degrees. Once it's preheated, brush or spray your grates with a bit of cooking oil and drop the temperature to 350 degrees. Set your chicken on the hot grate and close the lid to trap it in the heat! Grill 7 to 10 minutes per side or until the chicken thighs have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees or higher using an instant-read thermometer.
✔️ More Boneless Chicken Thigh Recipes
Be sure to check out these delicious chicken thigh recipes:
- Italian Style Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprika
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley or 2 teaspoon dried
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried crushed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar (or sugar free brown sugar substitute)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon (optional) dried red pepper flakes
- Note: makes enough to marinade 6 to 8 bone-in or boneless chicken thighs.
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix.
- Pour over chicken thighs and seal. Marinate in refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours up to 10.
How To Grill Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Add boneless chicken thighs and cook 5-7 minutes per side or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Remove chicken from the grill, cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
How To Grill Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat, with the heat on one side only.
- Place chicken thighs face down on the lit side of the grill (direct heat) and sear for 4 to 5 minutes until they turn golden brown. (Note: watch the heat carefully you don't want them to char. Move the chicken around if needed.)
- Turn chicken over and move the chicken to the unlit side (indirect heat) of the grill and continue cooking, covered until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove chicken from the grill, cover, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Marinate any chicken, bone-in or boneless. Play around with different fresh or dried herbs and come up with your own unique combination. If you don't like red pepper flakes you can omit them.
- TOP TIPS: Fresh herbs will have the best flavor, but you can also use a combination of fresh and dried, or even all dried. Marinate your chicken for 2 to 10 hours.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™