This crock pot cube steak recipe is super easy and delicious, making it the perfect fuss-free dinner for busy weeknights! Just picture this: melt-in-your-mouth cubed steak cooked low and slow all day in a creamy mushroom soup and brown gravy with fresh onions and mushrooms. Oh yeah. It's de-lish!
- Watch How to Make Slow Cooker Cubed Steak
- You'll love this Cube Steak Crock Pot recipe
- Crock Pot Cube Steak Ingredients
- Cube Steak Slow Cooker Variations
- How to make Cube Steak in Crock Pot
- How to Serve Crockpot Cube Steak
- Beef Cube Steak in Crock Pot Tips
- How to Store Cube Steak (Slow Cooker Recipe)
- Crock Pot Cube Steak FAQs
- Slow Cooker Cubed Steak
- More Recipes You'll Love
Watch How to Make Slow Cooker Cubed Steak
You'll love this Cube Steak Crock Pot recipe
Melt-in-your-mouth beef cube steak with scrumptious mushroom soup brown gravy - yum! 🙂 -Kori
Easy Crockpot Recipe! One of my favorite things about making cube steak in the crockpot is that you dump the ingredients in and go. Come back after 6 hours (or so) and make the gravy - that's it. Super simple!
Family Favorite. This has been a go-to recipe in our house for YEARS. My kids beg for this! I love how simple it is to make. Grab ready-made mashed potatoes and a side of fresh greens beans to microwave and you've got a simple meal!
Healthy. This is a perfect gluten-free, low-carb, keto dinner idea with 20.2 grams of fat and only 7.3 grams of net carbs! Slow cooker cube steak is delicious and satisfying, so you won't leave the table feeling hungry - or wanting something more.
- Want to lower the fat? Use low-fat or fat-free versions of the dairy and condensed soup.
- Following a keto diet? Use either canned condensed soup or my homemade condensed mushroom soup. Which version you use will depend on what type of keto plan you are on. Both versions are low in carbs, at only 7.3 grams of net carbs.
- Low carb and keto followers should serve over riced or mashed cauliflower.
- Gluten-free followers can serve the same as above or use a gluten-free pasta choice.
Crock Pot Cube Steak Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make crock pot cube steak:
- Onion - I used yellow, but you can use what you have on hand.
- Beef Cube Steaks
- Mushrooms - use white button mushrooms or even baby bellas.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup - use canned or homemade
- Ground Black Pepper
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Optional: xanthan gum or cornstarch - used as a thickening agent
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
Cube Steak Slow Cooker Variations
- Want to add some veggies? Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups of carrots or diced zucchini. You can add potatoes, too, but they will soak up some liquid so that you won't have as much gravy.
- A packet of onion soup mix can be added for extra flavor. Omit the salt and pepper until the end.
- If desired, use a chuck roast or even stew meat instead of cube steak.
- Add in a tablespoon of herbs such as parsley, thyme, marjoram.
How to make Cube Steak in Crock Pot
Add Ingredients to the Pot
Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Add sliced onions to the bottom of the slow cooker, then top with the cube steaks, mushrooms, soup, garlic, and pepper.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender.
Once the meat is tender, remove cube steaks and set them aside.
Soften the cream cheese in a microwave for a few seconds until it is very easily spreadable. Add to the crockpot along with the sour cream. Stir until incorporated.
Add cube steak back to slow cooker to keep warm if needed.
How to Serve Crockpot Cube Steak
Since this recipe is intended to be a super easy weeknight meal, it's best to keep your sides simple. Here are some suggestions for serving:
- Mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles are perfect for serving with this dish. Serve over riced cauliflower if you follow a low carb and keto diet.
- Steamed or roasted vegetables make a great side dish. If you're into air fryers be these Air Fryer Green Beans would go well!
- Another favorite of mine is to serve a fresh green salad with a favorite dressing such as Italian dressing, French, Blue Cheese, Thousand Island, etc.
- Try this delicious overnight layered salad that can be made 24 hours before serving - it will keep for several days so that you can eat it for multiple meals!
Beef Cube Steak in Crock Pot Tips
- You do not need to add any additional liquid to the crock pot. The meat and other ingredients will cook in their own juices.
- Soften the cream cheese in your microwave until it is very spreadable. This will help it to melt and blend better.
- Feel free to substitute 1 tbsp minced onion for the small fresh onion. You can also use canned mushrooms in place of fresh ones.
- If the gravy is not as thick as you would like, thicken it with a little cornstarch dissolved in a small ladle of sauce. Or, for a low-carb thickener option, use 1/2 tsp xanthan gum dissolved in 1 tsp of olive oil. Add cornstarch or xanthan gum mixture to the slow cooker and stir. Allow the slow cooker to sit with the lid off for a few minutes until thickened.
- Sear the outside and cook to a minimum internal temperature of __
- There are temperature variances among air fryer units. Know your air fryer and adjust this recipe accordingly.
How to Store Cube Steak (Slow Cooker Recipe)
Can I freeze this cube steak recipe?
I would not recommend freezing this dish because the fats in the dairy have a tendency to separate.
How long will this recipe keep in the refrigerator?
If stored in an air-tight container, this recipe will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator after it has been cooked. It makes GREAT leftovers!
Crock Pot Cube Steak FAQs
Cube steak is a cut of beef that can be very tough. It is usually pounded with a meat tenderizer tool. Tenderizing steak makes it much more tender to eat. Because of its toughness, cube steak makes a perfect cut of meat to use in a slow cooker!
To reduce the fat in this recipe, use fat-free cream cheese and fat-free sour cream instead of the full-fat versions.
Cooking it on a low temperature for a longer period of time with plenty of moisture will break down the steak and help to tenderize. A crock pot is ideal for cooking cube steak.
Yes, it does get tender the longer it cooks, but it needs moisture and a low cooking temperature otherwise, it will just dry out.
If cooked on low it will take anywhere from 5 to 6 hours. On high it will cook in about 3 to 5 hours.
It is best to thaw the cube steaks beforehand to control the cooking time better, and reduce excess liquid in the pot. Partially thawed cube steaks are fine, as long as they are separated apart.
Slow Cooker Cubed Steak
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 pound cube steaks
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 (10.5 ounce) cream of mushroom soup (use canned or our homemade soup recipe)
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of cornstarch or ½ teaspoon xanthan gum as a thickening agent.
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add sliced onions to the bottom of the slow cooker, then top with the cube steaks, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, garlic, and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Once the meat is tender, remove cube steaks, set them aside, and keep warm.
- Soften cream cheese in a microwave for a few seconds until it is very easily spreadable.
- Add sour cream and softened cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted.
- To thicken the gravy (optional): mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of cold water or 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil in a small bowl until dissolved. Add to the crockpot and stir into the gravy. Continue cooking on low with the lid off for a few minutes until gravy starts to thicken.
- Add cube steak back to slow cooker to warm if needed.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™
More Recipes You'll Love
- Cube Steak in the Oven
- Tender Pork Cube Steak Recipe with Gravy
- How To Grill Filet Mignon
- Pan Seared Ribeye Steak
- Chipotle Steak Recipe
- How To Grill A Ribeye Steak
- Herbed Butter Steak
- Italian Crock Pot Beef Roast
- Texas Style No Bean Chili Slow Cooker Recipe
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Best Corned Beef Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Crock pot cube steak that will melt in your mouth! Cube steak in the crock pot is the perfect fuss-free dinner for busy weeknights. Easy to make comfort food for the whole family. A cube steak crock pot recipe that's cooked low and slow all day in creamy brown gravy with mushrooms and onions - OH MY. Slow cooker cube steak that is family-friendly yet low carb, gluten free, and keto. You'll love this easy crockpot recipe!