Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers (Keto Stuffed Peppers) are an easy-to-make Mexican-style recipe that everyone will love. Ground beef, salsa, sour cream, and melted cheese come together in a perfect healthy serving that tastes delicious! This recipe is keto, low-carb, and gluten-free!
- Taco Stuffed Peppers | 30-Second Video
- Why you will love these Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Keto Stuffed Bell Peppers Ingredients
- Keto Stuffed Peppers Variations
- How to Make Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- How to serve Low Carb Stuffed Peppers
- How to store Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Top Tips for this Low Carb Stuffed Pepper Recipe
- Keto Stuffed Peppers FAQs
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers (Low Carb)
- More Taco Recipes
- More Recipes You Will Love
Taco Stuffed Peppers | 30-Second Video
Why you will love these Taco Stuffed Peppers
Easy! A quick and easy stuffed bell pepper recipe with your favorite taco ingredients is the way to go! Just make your stuffing mixture and spoon it into precooked peppers.
Make Ahead. Another perfect make-ahead stuffed pepper recipe. Make them ahead and let them sit in the fridge, ready for baking a few days later. Super convenient!
Not your classic stuffed bell pepper recipe! This Mexican-inspired version is an excellent alternative to classic peppers filled with rice, tomatoes, beef, and onion! (p.s. This recipe was inspired by my lasagna and cheeseburger keto stuffed pepper recipes!)
Healthy. These stuffed peppers are a healthy recipe that you'll feel good about eating.
- Gluten free, low carb, keto stuffed peppers - with no added sugar.
- Net carbs 5.9 g | fat 15.5 g | protein 12.4 g
- This recipe can be adjusted to your dietary needs.
- Lower the fat by using fat free or low fat alternatives (ground meat, sour cream, etc.)
Keto Stuffed Bell Peppers Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make taco stuffed bell peppers:
- Bell Peppers - Any color is fine - green, red, orange, or yellow peppers are all delicious.
- Ground Beef - I used 80/20 blend (20% fat content) but you can use lower fat ground beef if you prefer.
- Taco Seasoning Mix - Of course, this is my favorite! 🙂 It's easy to make and much healthier. You can also use 1 store-bought packet for each pound of ground beef.
- Sour Cream - Use full fat if you are following keto, if not low fat or nonfat is fine too.
- Salsa - If you are following keto check the carb content and make sure they haven't slipped in any sugar.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - Fresh grated is best. Usee mild, medium, or sharp.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Keto Stuffed Peppers Variations
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Make it spicy and use a hot taco seasoning mix or add in cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Thawed frozen corn or canned can be added, as well as drained black beans or kidney beans.
- ½ to 1 cup of cooked rice can be added.
- Use ground chicken or turkey in place of ground beef.
- Add onions and saute with the ground beef. Chopped jalapenos can be added at the same time.
- Lower the fat content and use fat-free sour cream, less cheese, and a lower fat ground beef.
How to Make Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Here's how to make this taco stuffed bell pepper recipe - please see the recipe card for more details.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Assemble ingredients. Wash the bell peppers. Slice peppers lengthwise in half through the middle and remove the seeds.
Cook The Peppers
- Place the sliced bell peppers in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave 5 or 6 minutes or until just until peppers are soft.
Note: Due to reader feedback the microwave cooking time has been reduced to 5 or 6 minutes, but please check doneness after 3 or 4 minutes. With varying sizes of peppers and microwave wattage, cooking times could vary. Peppers will be slightly "shriveled." It's okay because you will stuff them with cooked ingredients, reducing oven cooking time. 🙂
Cook The Meat
- In the meantime, brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Add the taco seasoning and water and cook according to instructions.
Make Taco Filling
- In the same pan that you cooked the taco meat, mix in sour cream, salsa, and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place cooked peppers inside the dish and generously stuff the bell peppers with the beef taco meat. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake the stuffed peppers at 350 ° F for 20-30 minutes, or until they are heated through and the cheese is melted.
How to serve Low Carb Stuffed Peppers
Here are a few ways to serve these low carb and keto stuffed peppers:
Top with your favorite taco toppings such as salsa, sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sliced olives.
How to store Taco Stuffed Peppers
Let the stuffed peppers cool completely then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
How to reheat stuffed peppers
Reheat individual stuffed peppers in the microwave. Place each pepper on a microwave safe plate or bowl. Cover and heat on 50% power at 30 seconds intervals, until heated through.
Can you freeze stuffed peppers?
Yes, stuffed peppers can be frozen! Place the peppers in an air-tight freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Top Tips for this Low Carb Stuffed Pepper Recipe
- Make ahead by pre-cooking and assembling everything. Bake when you are ready.
- The ground beef mixture can be made ahead of time and the peppers can be pre-cooked.
- Adjust any seasoning to your taste preferences.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 🙂
Keto Stuffed Peppers FAQs
We like to top with our favorite taco toppings (shredded lettuce, olives, onions), homemade guacamole, salsa, and sour cream. Really, this taco stuffed bell pepper recipe is a meal in one, though.
You can reheat your peppers in the oven by covering them with foil and baking at 350° F until warm inside. An alternative is warming in the microwave oven.
To reduce the baking time, you can boil peppers before stuffing them or steam in the microwave for 5 to 6 minutes. Make sure to slice your peppers in half and take the seeds out, per the recipe instructions.
Steaming in the microwave because it is quicker and hands-off, which makes my life easier.
You can freeze stuffed peppers. Freeze them individually for the perfect make-ahead lunch or single-serving dinner!
My preferred method is to make the recipe first - stuffing and baking the peppers, then freezing them in airtight containers. Thaw and bake until heated through at 350° F.
Stuffed peppers can be kept in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Peppers can be frozen for up to 6 months, but I prefer to use stuffed peppers within 3 to 4 months.
This Mexican stuffed pepper recipe takes anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes to bake, but the bell peppers are steamed in advance to give them a head start. Do this while preparing the filling.
Mexican Stuffed Peppers (Low Carb)
- 4 medium green peppers seeded and halved
- 1½ pounds ground beef browned
- 1 recipe or packet taco seasoning mix
- ¾ cup water
- 1½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash peppers, then slice lengthwise in half through the middle and remove seeds. Place in a casserole dish with ¼ cups water. Cover and microwave 5 to 6 minutes, or until peppers are just getting soft. Check periodically for doneness.
- In the meantime, brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Add the taco seasoning and water and cook according to recipe or packet instructions.
- After the beef mixture is cooked, mix in sour cream, salsa, and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place cooked peppers inside the dish and generously stuff with meat and cheese mixture. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake peppers at 350 ° F for 20-30 minutes, or until peppers are heated through and cheese is melted. Serve with your favorite taco ingredients and a side of salsa. Enjoy!
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
More Taco Recipes
If you love taco recipes, be sure to check these out:
More Recipes You Will Love
Taco stuffed bell peppers are so tasty with cheesy Mexican taco filling. Taco stuffed bell pepper recipe is filled with ground beef, gooey melted cheese, salsa, and sour cream. Keto stuffed peppers make an easy weeknight dinner and the perfect make-ahead recipe. Sure to become a family favorite as everyone loves tacos! Perfect an easy keto recipe for Taco Tuesday! #mexican #taco #stuffedpeppers #keto #lowcarb #ketogenic #seekinggoodeats #ketogenic