Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake is an easy and very tasty casserole dinner! With tender chicken and asparagus in a cheesy dijon and lemon cream sauce - you are gonna love it! This chicken asparagus bake is the perfect low-carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, keto dinner idea.
- Watch How to Make Creamy Chicken Bake
- Why You'll Love This Chicken Asparagus Casserole
- Asparagus Chicken Bake Ingredients
- How To Make Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Chicken and Asparagus Bake Top Tips
- What To Serve with Asparagus and Chicken Casserole
- How to Store Creamy Chicken Bake
- Creamy Chicken Bake Recipe with Asparagus
- More Casserole Recipes
- More Recipes You Will Love
Watch How to Make Creamy Chicken Bake
Why You'll Love This Chicken Asparagus Casserole
This chicken casserole was a HUGE hit in my house. Who doesn't love melted cheese and cream? Add asparagus and chicken and it's a tasty combination. Add a little dijon and some lemon and it's downright drool-worthy! 🙂
It's an easy casserole. Saute your ingredients in a pan, toss into a baking dish, make your sauce, bake and you're done!
Technically you can make this a one-pan casserole by using an ovenproof skillet and then adding the chicken and asparagus back into the pan. Work the sauce over the chicken then sprinkle with cheese and then bake!
It's low carb, keto, and gluten free. With 26 g fat and only 6 grams net carbs, this creamy skillet dinner is a perfect low carb and keto chicken recipe.
Asparagus Chicken Bake Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make chicken asparagus bake:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - cut into bite-sized pieces. you could also use chicken thighs.
- Asparagus - cut into 1" to 2" pieces
- Onion - use yellow or sweet onions
- Mushrooms - white button mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms.
- Chicken Stock or Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Kosher salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Thyme - use fresh or dried.
- Mayonnaise - use your favorite brand. I used a keto-friendly avocado oil mayonnaise.
- Dijon Mustard
- Lemon Juice
- Gouda or Swiss Cheese - use either one - both are delicious.
- Parmesan Cheese
How To Make Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
Here's how to make this chicken asparagus bake, be sure to see the recipe card for full instructions.
1. Place asparagus pieces in a microwave-safe dish with ¼ cup of water. Cover and steam for 3 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In a 12" skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 6 minutes. Turn chicken after 3 to 4 minutes or when it begins to brown.
3. Remove chicken and place in a greased baking dish. Top with the steamed asparagus. Cover and keep warm.
4. Add onions and mushrooms to the skillet. Sautee until tender.
5. Add broth, cream, salt, pepper, thyme, dijon, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer. Simmer and reduce until thickened.
6. Add cheeses, then stir until melted. Pour the mixture over the casserole).
7. Top with remaining cheeses. Bake in a 375-degree F oven for 30 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the chicken is done.
Chicken and Asparagus Bake Top Tips
- Save a pan! Make chicken asparagus casserole a one-pan casserole by using an ovenproof skillet. Finish the sauce, then add the chicken and asparagus back to the pan. Stir, making sure the sauce is covering the chicken. Top with cheese and then bake.
- If you want more creaminess, add ½ cup sour cream.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
What To Serve with Asparagus and Chicken Casserole
Here are a few ideas for what to serve with your asparagus and chicken bake. I've provided some low-carb keto options as well as non low-carb options - since so many families have mixed dietary needs.
- Roasted or steamed cauliflower. Florets or riced.
- Steamed or air fried broccoli.
- A side salad with a keto-friendly dressing such as blue cheese or thousand island.
- Serve over mashed cauliflower or potatoes, pasta, or rice.
How to Store Creamy Chicken Bake
Once the casserole has cooled, place any remaining portions in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months. (Note: Add a little cream to the casserole when reheating to add back moisture, especially after freezing.)
Pin this pin to Pinterest to save recipe for later! 🙂
If you tried this Asparagus Chicken Bake, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Creamy Chicken Bake Recipe with Asparagus
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1" pieces)
- 1 pound asparagus (cut into 1" to 2" pieces then steamed)
- ¼ cup onion (chopped)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (I used an avocado oil mayonnaise)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups shredded gouda or swiss cheese (reserve 1/4 cup parmesan for the top)
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese (reserve 1/4 cup parmesan for the top)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place asparagus pieces in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover and steam for 3 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a 12" skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turn after it starts to turn brown. Continue cooking until done, about 3 to 4 more minutes.
- Remove chicken and place in a greased casserole dish. Top with the steamed asparagus. Cover and keep warm.
- Add onions and mushrooms to the skillet. Sautee until tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and add broth, cream, salt, pepper, thyme, dijon, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Whisk together and bring to a simmer.
- Stirring frequently, cook until sauce is reduced and starts to thicken about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture over the casserole. Stir in cheese.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheeses. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and chicken is done.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: broccoli can be substituted for asparagus.
- TOP TIPS: Save a pan! Make chicken asparagus bake a one-pan casserole by using an ovenproof skillet. Finish the sauce then add the chicken and asparagus back to the pan. Stir, making sure sauce is covering the chicken. Top with cheese and then bake.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with fresh parsley or chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
More Casserole Recipes
Here are a few more casserole recipe I think you'll really enjoy!
- Parmesan Chicken Casserole
- Fusion Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe
- Reuben Bake With Meatballs
- Leftover Ham Casserole
- EASY Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
More Recipes You Will Love
This creamy chicken asparagus bake is so delish! Tender chicken, sauteed asparagus in a cheesy dijon and lemon cream sauce make this recipe oh so good! Yum! Simple steps and easy to make, this casserole is a perfect keto dinner recipe. Make it an oven proof skillet for a perfect one-pan dinner that is also a low carb and keto recipe. #casserole #chicken #keto #lowcarb #ketogenic #ketodinnerrecipe #easyrecipe #ketogenic #healthydinnerrecipe #asparagus #seekinggoodeats