Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake is an easy and very tasty casserole dinner! With tender chicken and asparagus in a cheesy dijon and lemon cream sauce - you are gonna love it.
This chicken asparagus bake is low carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free, and sugar-free. Perfect!
🎥 Watch Recipe Video
You'll ❤️ This Chicken and Asparagus Casserole
This casserole was a HUGE hit in my house. Who doesn't love melted cheese and cream? Add asparagus and chicken and it's a tasty combination. Add a little dijon and some lemon and it becomes drool-worthy! 🙂
It's An Easy Casserole
Saute your ingredients in a pan, toss into a casserole dish, make your sauce, bake and you're done!
Technically you can make this a one-pan casserole by using an ovenproof skillet and then adding the chicken and asparagus back into the pan. Work the sauce over the chicken then sprinkle with cheese and then bake!
It's Low Carb and Keto
With 26 g fat and only 6 grams net carbs, this creamy skillet dinner is a perfect low carb and keto chicken recipe.
🥗 How to Serve It
Here are a few ideas for what to serve with your asparagus and chicken bake. I've provided some low-carb keto options as well as non low-carb options - since so many families have mixed dietary needs.
- Roasted or steamed cauliflower. Florets or riced.
- Steamed broccoli. Florets or riced.
- A side salad with a keto-friendly dressing such as blue cheese or thousand island.
- Serve over mashed cauliflower or potatoes, pasta, or rice.
🥘 What You'll Need
Here's what you'll need to make asparagus and chicken bake!
- Chicken breast - boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces. you could also use chicken thighs.
- Asparagus - cut into 1" to 2" pieces
- Onion - use yellow or sweet onions
- Mushrooms - white button mushroom or baby bella mushrooms.
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- Thyme - use fresh or dried.
- Mayonnaise - use your favorite brand. I used a keto-friendly avocado oil mayonnaise.
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Gouda or Swiss Cheese - use either one - both a delicious.
- Parmesan cheese
- 12" skillet (cast iron is my favorite)
- Casserole dish - approximately 8 x 10 inches.
- Chefs knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Dry measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cups (the best!)
🔪 How To Make Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Steam the asparagus. Place asparagus pieces in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup of water. Cover and steam for 3 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
Saute Chicken and Vegetables
Step One - In a 12" skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
Step Two - Add chicken to the pan and cook for 6 minutes. Turn chicken after 3 to 4 minutes or when it begins to brown.
Step Three - Remove chicken and place in a greased casserole dish. Top with the steamed asparagus. Cover and keep warm.
Step Four - Add onions and mushrooms to the skillet. Sautee until tender.
Make The Sauce
Step Five - Reduce heat to medium and add chicken broth, cream, salt, pepper, thyme, dijon, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Whisk together and bring to a simmer.
Step Six - Cook until sauce reduces and starts to thicken about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
Step Seven - Add cheeses then stir until melted. Pour the mixture over the casserole).
Step Eight - Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the chicken is done.
💭 Top Tips
- Save a pan! Make chicken asparagus bake a one-pan casserole by using an ovenproof skillet. Finish the sauce then add the chicken and asparagus back to the pan. Stir, making sure sauce is covering the chicken. Top with cheese and then bake.
- If you want more creaminess add 1/2 cup sour cream.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
✔️ More Casserole Recipes
Here are a few more casserole recipe I think you'll really enjoy!
- Parmesan Chicken Casserole
- Fusion Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe
- Reuben Bake With Meatballs
- Leftover Ham Casserole
- EASY Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
⭐ Let's Connect
If you tried this Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
This creamy chicken asparagus bake is so delish! Tender chicken, sauteed asparagus in a cheesy dijon and lemon cream sauce make this recipe oh so good! Yum! Simple steps and easy to make, this casserole is a perfect keto dinner recipe. Make it an oven proof skillet for a perfect one-pan dinner that is also a low carb and keto recipe. #casserole #chicken #keto #lowcarb #ketogenic #ketodinnerrecipe #easyrecipe #ketogenic #healthydinnerrecipe #asparagus #seekinggoodeats