Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake is an easy and very tasty casserole dinner! With tender chicken and asparagus in a cheesy dijon and lemon cream sauce - you are gonna love. This chicken and asparagus casserole recipe is low carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free, and sugar-free. Perfect!
Why You Will Love This Chicken and Asparagus Casserole
It's A Delicious Casserole Recipe
This casserole was a HUGE hit in my house. Who doesn't love melted cheese and cream? Add chicken and asparagus and it's a tasty combination. Add a little dijon and some lemon and it becomes drool-worthy! 🙂
It's An Easy Casserole
Saute your ingredients in a pan, toss into a casserole dish, make your sauce, bake and you're done!
Technically you can make this a one-pan casserole by using an ovenproof skillet then adding the chicken and asparagus back into the pan. Work the sauce over the chicken then sprinkle with cheese and then bake!
It's Low Carb and Keto
With 26 g fat and only 6 grams net carbs, this creamy skillet dinner is a perfect low carb and keto chicken recipe.
How to Serve
Here are a few ideas for what to serve with your chicken and asparagus bake casserole. I've provided some low carb keto option as well as non-low carb options since so many families have mixed dietary needs.
Low Carb and Keto Options:
- Roasted or steamed cauliflower Cauliflower. Florets or riced.
- Steamed broccoli. Florets or riced.
- A side salad with a keto-friendly dressing such as blue cheese or thousand island.
Non Low Carb Options:
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted potatoes
Ingredients and Tools
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 1" to 2" pieces then steamed
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used a keto-friendly avocado oil mayonnaise)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup gouda, shredded (swiss is great too). Set aside 1/4 cup.
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Set aside 1/8 cup.
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (option thickener)
- 12" skillet (cast iron is my favorite)
- casserole dish
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- measuring spoons
- dry measuring cups
- liquid measuring cups (the best!)
How To Make Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a 12" skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. (See image 1 below)
Add chicken to the pan and cook for 6 minutes. Turn chicken after 3 to 4 minutes or when it begins to brown. (See image 2)
Remove chicken and place in a casserole dish. Top with the steamed asparagus. Cover and keep warm. (See image 3)
Add onions and mushrooms to skillet. Sautee until tender. (See image 4)
Reduce heat to medium and add chicken broth, cream, salt, pepper, thyme, dijon, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Whisk together and bring to a simmer. (See image 5 below)
Cook until sauce reduces and starts to thicken about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir frequently. (See image 6). (Optional) stir in xanthan gum mixed with 1 tsp olive oil to further thicken sauce if needed, stir.
Add cheeses then stir until melted. Pour the mixture over the casserole). (See image 7)
Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. (See image 8) Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and chicken is done.
- The chicken can be cut into bite-size pieces and then cooked in the skillet.
- Make this a one-pan casserole by using an ovenproof skillet. Finish the sauce then add the chicken and asparagus back to the pan. Stir, making sure sauce is covering the chicken. Top with cheese and then bake.
- You can add 1/2 cup sour cream if you want more creaminess too! You will have to adjust your salt and pepper to taste.
- When adding xanthan gum to a dish, dissolve it in a little olive oil (1 tsp) before adding so it won't clump. Use xanthan gum sparingly as A little goes a long way! I turned a dish into a gummy mess once, so I know first hand! In this recipe, start with 1/2 tsp only.
- French Country Skillet Chicken Dinner
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas Bake (Low Carb and Keto)
- Low Carb Chicken in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup)
- Hawaiian Chicken Salad (Keto Chicken Salad Recipe)
- Crockpot Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup (Keto Soup Slow Cooker)
- Spicy Thai Basil Chicken Recipe (Thai Chicken Slow Cooker)
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review our recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!
This creamy chicken and asparagus bake is so delish! Tender chicken, sauteed asparagus in a cheesy dijon and lemon cream sauce make this recipe oh so good! Yum! Simple steps and easy to make, this casserole is a perfect keto dinner recipe. Make it an oven proof skillet for a perfect one-pan dinner that is also a low carb and keto recipe. #casserole #chicken #keto #lowcarb #ketogenic #ketodinnerrecipe #easyrecipe #ketogenic #healthydinnerrecipe #asparagus #seekinggoodeats