Instant Pot Chicken Soup is a warm, comforting soup filled with bits of tender chicken, vegetables, herbs, and delicious broth. This healthy soup is super simple and fast - making it perfect for an easy weeknight meal. Make ahead, meal prep, and freeze it too!
- Watch: How to make Keto Chicken Soup
- You'll love this Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- Everything you need for this Chicken Soup Instant Pot recipe
- How to make Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- How to serve Keto Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipe variations
- How to store Keto Chicken Soup
- Chicken Soup in Pressure Cooker FAQs
- More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Chicken Soup in Pressure Cooker
Watch: How to make Keto Chicken Soup
You'll love this Instant Pot Chicken Soup
This Instapot chicken soup recipe is quick and simple. As you might know by now, I am all about easy recipes. You'll love the homemade taste! -Kori
Easy Soup Recipe
Other than dicing the onion, carrots, and celery chicken soup in the instant pot is quick and easy and requires very little effort. Gotta love an easy soup recipe!
You can make your own broth if you would like, but sometimes you're in a hurry and need to use store-bought chicken stock. It's totally okay, I do it a lot.
Chicken soup in the Instant Pot is total comfort food. There is just something about it that instantly makes you feel better. This recipe is designed to be easy so if you need comfort in a hurry you got it.
Truth be told, several years ago, I had a cold, and I wanted real home-cooked chicken soup - not from a can. This soup is the result - I think you'll love it! 🙂
Healthy Instant Pot Recipe
You'll love that this soup is healthy, low in carbs, gluten-free, keto-friendly, dairy-free, and sugar-free. It's also loaded with vegetables, vitamins, and minerals.
No pasta or rice is used making it low in carbs and gluten free.
To lower the fat in this recipe use less butter or substitute olive oil. Use chicken breast instead of thighs.
Everything you need for this Chicken Soup Instant Pot recipe
Here are the ingredients and equipment you will need to make Instant Pot chicken soup:
- Butter - use salted or unsalted. Olive oil can be used instead of butter.
- Onion - white or yellow onions work great.
- Fresh Carrots - use fresh carrots, peeled and sliced or if you're in a hurry buy the bagged baby carrots.
- Fresh Celery
- Garlic - use "jarlic" if you need to save some time.
- Chicken Stock or Broth - vegetable broth can be used in a pinch.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs or Breasts - use either one. Chicken breast has less fat than chicken thighs.
- Fresh Dill or Thyme
- Bay Leaf
- Ground Black Pepper
- Instant Pot - or other brand.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Soup
A super easy healthy low carb and keto chicken soup recipe that you can tackle on a crazy evening (or if you don't feel well)! Here's how to make it:
Set your Instant Pot to medium-high (or saute setting), melt butter, and saute vegetables for 5 minutes.
Add Remaining Ingredients
Add chicken breast or thighs, chicken broth, herbs, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the pot.
Lock your lid on, then set your instant pot on High pressure for 5 minutes.
When the cycle is complete, quick release the pressure.
How to serve Keto Chicken Soup
Here are a few ways to serve this Instant Pot Chicken Soup:
Season with salt, pepper, and additional herbs if desired.
Meal Idea! Serve with crackers, crusty bread, or rolls and a fresh salad with dill dressing.
Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipe variations
This Instapot chicken soup is easily adaptable to your needs and tastes. Here are some ideas for customizing your soup:
- Make it a chicken noodle soup and add egg noodles before pressure cooking. Other pasta can be used and even rice.
- Make it an Instant Pot chicken and rice soup by adding 1/2 to 2/3 cup of rice.
- Substitute zucchini spirals in place of pasta or even riced cauliflower instead of rice.
- Frozen chopped chicken breast can be used.
- Feel free to add more vegetables. Zucchini, squash, or a little chopped spinach or kale is nice.
- Use chicken thighs or chicken breast depending upon the fat content you are looking for. Chicken thighs have a higher fat content than chicken breasts.
- Play around with different herb combinations, adding in your favorites to taste.
- Substitute ghee for the butter, or use a different oil such avocado or olive oil.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 🙂
How to store Keto Chicken Soup
Store leftover chicken soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can you freeze this Instant Pot Chicken Soup?
Yes! Chicken soup can easily be frozen. After it has cooled place in an airtight and freezer proof container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in your refrigerator and reheat slowly on your stove on in a crock pot.
Chicken Soup in Pressure Cooker FAQs
You can increase the healthy fat in this soup by adding more olive or avocado oil. You can also garnish with some avocado or even add some sour cream to the soup.
If you do add sour cream, make sure to cool the soup slightly, or mix the sour cream with some hot soup before adding. Cold sour cream added to hot soup will curdle.
You can decrease the fat in this chicken soup by using less oil to saute the vegetables in. Substitute chicken breasts instead of thighs.
Add about 2 cups of dry pasta after the pressure cooking is done. Change you Instant Pot setting to saute medium-high and cook for about 6 minutes or until pasta reaches your desired tenderness.
Yes, you can add raw chicken to your pot for soup. Adding raw adds flavor and keeps the chicken tender.
The biggest reason for tough chicken in soup is that it was overcooked. Try larger cut pieces, especially when using chicken breast. Add the chicken later in the cooking process so it doesn’t simmer so long. Or, use cut up boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast
There are many ways to make chicken soup taste richer . If you want to make it taste richer after it’s cooked, add chicken boullion base or butter. If it’s before cooking, use a good quality chicken bone broth or make your own.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Here are some more Instant Pot soup recipe you might enjoy:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup (Instant Pot Soup Recipe)
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup with Beer Brats (Keto Instant Pot Recipe)
- Easy Tomato and Basil Soup (Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Soup)
- 20+ Low Carb Keto Soups (Easy Soup Recipes)
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup) - if you're looking for keto instant pot chicken soup recipes, look no further! This is a good one!
If you tried this Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipe, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Chicken Soup in Pressure Cooker
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth
- 6 (4-ounce) boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (cut into 1" cubes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill or thyme (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Set Instant Pot to medium-high (or saute setting), melt butter, and saute vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, herbs, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Secure lid then set the Instant Pot on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the pressure cooking cycle is complete, do a quick release.
- Season with additional salt, pepper, or herbs to taste.
- Feel free to substitute other oils or ghee in place of butter.
- Substitute chicken breast for thighs if desired.
- Add spirals of zucchini to add "pasta"
- To make this a chicken noodle soup: add 2 cups of pasta after the soup has finished its pressure cooking cycle. Turn the pot to medium-high and cook the pasta until it reaches your preferred tenderness, approximately 6 minutes.
- Play around with different herbs. My favorites are dill, thyme, and marjoram.
- Try a small squeeze of lemon and lemon thyme with some dill. It's good!
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
Instant Pot Chicken Soup is an easy soup to make! This sugar free, gluten free, low carb & keto soup is a healthy recipe and can be customized to your taste and nutritional requirements. So easy you can whip together even if you're sick! Perfect keto recipe for beginners or the first time instant pot user! #chickensoup #instantpot #ketorecipeforbeginners #lowcarb #keto #ketosoup #healthyrecipe