This Creamy Taco Soup with ground beef, onions, peppers, taco seasonings, cream, and ooey gooey melted cheese - will surely be a hit in your house! There are 2 ways to make this easy Mexican-inspired soup recipe - in your Instant Pot or on the stovetop. 🙂 Bonus: it's low carb, keto, and gluten free - with no added sugar.
- Watch how to make this Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- You will love this Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- Beef Taco Soup Ingredients
- Taco Soup Recipe Easy variations
- How To Make Taco Soup
- How To Serve This Recipe For Taco Soup
- How To Store Beef Taco Soup
- Taco Soup Recipe Top Tips
- Easy Taco Soup Recipe FAQs
- More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- More from Seeking Good Eats
- 💬 Comments
Watch how to make this Easy Taco Soup Recipe
You will love this Easy Taco Soup Recipe
It's delicious! Watch out, this creamy taco soup is addicting! It has the perfect balance of flavor and texture - and yummy melted cheese. 😊 Your family will eat every last drop.
2 ways to make it! You will love this recipe for taco soup - it can be made in your Instant Pot or on the stovetop. Both options make for easy cooking - and cleanup! The perfect soup for busy weeknights!
Make it a low fat or keto taco soup! The recipe can be adapted for either a low fat diet or a keto diet. See the Variations section below.
Beef Taco Soup Ingredients
Here are the ingredients and equipment you'll need to make this beef taco soup recipe:
- Ground Beef - 80/20 ground beef was used in this recipe, but leaner ground beef would also be fine.
- Onion - yellow or white onion.
- Bell pepper - any color of pepper can be used.
- Garlic Cloves
- Beef Broth
- Diced tomatoes - crushed tomatoes or another kind will work too.
- Salsa - use any favorite salsa.
- Taco Seasoning Mix - our homemade mix is easy, but store-bought packets are fine too! Be sure to check the label and make sure it is appropriate to your dietary needs (gluten-free, sugar-free, etc.).
- Cream Cheese - should be very soft before adding it to the soup. Light cream cheese would also work great if you are wanting to cut the fat content.
- Heavy Cream - fat-free half and half can be substituted for heavy cream.
- Cheddar Cheese - use mild, medium, or sharp.
Taco Soup Recipe Easy variations
There are so many ways you can adapt or customize this taco soup recipe to your taste and dietary needs:
- Lower the fat in this soup by using fat-free half-and-half and light cream cheese. Use half the amount of cheese, and use lean ground beef. Cook the ground beef first, drain the fat, and set the meat aside. Cook the vegetables, then add the beef back in and proceed with the recipe! Enjoy!
- Substitute ground chicken, ground turkey, or lean ground beef.
- Feel free to add more veggies. Squash, zucchini, or even riced cauliflower taste great. Beans and corn are good too (if you’re not following a keto diet).
- If you like things spicy - add hot sauce or cayenne pepper to taste.
How To Make Taco Soup
Here are the steps for making this creamy beef taco soup recipe, easy Instant pot and stovetop instructions are provided:
1. Saute Vegetables and Beef
In an Instant Pot or soup pot, saute ground beef, onion, and bell pepper over medium-high heat until the beef is no longer pink.
2. Add Soup Ingredients
Add garlic cloves, beef broth, tomatoes, salsa, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
Creamy taco soup can be cooked in an Instant Pot or on your stovetop.
Set pot to high pressure - 2 minutes. Once the cooking cycle is complete, allow pressure to release naturally.
Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to low. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add Dairy Ingredients
Add very soft cream cheese, heavy cream, and cheddar cheese to the pot. Stir until the cheeses are melted, and the soup is blended. Adjust seasoning and serve. Enjoy!
How To Serve This Recipe For Taco Soup
This creamy taco soup is really a meal in one, but here are a couple of ideas of what you can serve as a side dish:
Garnish with your favorite taco toppings such as sour cream, salsa, cheddar cheese, green onion, olives, avocado, and fresh cilantro.
If you’ve got carb lovers in your house, this soup is great topped with crumbled tortilla chips or corn chips.
A cheese quesadilla is the perfect thing to serve for your non-low carb followers. While cheese crisps would work for low carb and keto followers.
How To Store Beef Taco Soup
Refrigerate: Let the soup cool completely, then transfer it to an air-tight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
A note on freezing: typically, you should not freeze soups that contain dairy because the fats from the cream will often separate and give the soup a fine, slightly curdled look. That separation of the fats does not affect the taste, however. I have frozen this soup before and got a very slight separation. Before reheating, I refreshed it with a little more cream and some freshly grated cheese, and it was still delicious!
Taco Soup Recipe Top Tips
- Make-ahead tip: Follow the recipe instructions all the way through, let it cool, then store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Just reheat when you’re ready for lunch or dinner. The flavor gets even better with time!
- Use our Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix for the best taste. It's a lot healthier than store-bought packets.
- Try and use freshly grated cheese! Pre-grated cheese in packages is coated with cellulose (a wood pulp) that absorbs moisture and prevents the cheese from clumping. Unfortunately, this also keeps the cheese from melting properly.
- The nutritional analysis was calculated using my homemade taco seasoning packet - which has no sugar added and is gluten-free. If you choose a store-bought seasoning packet - be sure to read the contents of the ingredients before purchasing and using.
Easy Taco Soup Recipe FAQs
Absolutely! This taco soup can easily be made on your stovetop.Brown the beef and cook along with the vegetables. Add the broth and seasonings, cover, and let simmer on the stove for about 30 minutes to blend flavors.
Add heavy cream, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and salsa. Stir until cheeses are melted and soup is blended.
Ground chicken or ground turkey can be substituted in this recipe. While it will take away from the beefy taste of the original recipe it is still quite delicious, and I've made it many times this way!
Yes! This recipe is the perfect keto taco soup with only 5.5 grams of net carbs, 35.3 grams of fat, and 23.7 grams of protein. No beans, corn, or rice are used in this recipe. Creamy cheese goodness that's so satisfying.
You can lower the fat in this recipe by using half and half or a low fat half in half, and a fat-free cream cheese. You can also use lower fat ground beef, or switch to ground turkey or chicken.
Note that if you use half and half the soup may be waterier. You can thicken the soup with a little cornstarch if desired.
As with any store-bought product, it varies among brands. Taco seasoning packets may or may not be gluten-free - always check the label. This recipe's nutritional analysis is calculated by using our homemade taco seasoning mix - which is gluten-free.
Tortilla soup contains pieces of fried corn tortilla while taco soup does not. Both taco soup and tortillas soup are very similar in ingredients with usually broth, corn, beans, and seasonings such as cumin, chili powder, etc. Tortilla soup is often made with chicken and taco soup with beef, but either one can be used in both soups.
If your taco soup is too watery, it may be that you added too much broth or water. While this recipe doesn’t call for any additional vegetables, the addition of too many or using frozen vegetables can make soup watery.
Easy Taco Soup
- 2 pounds ground beef (80/20)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 24 oz beef broth
- 28 oz diced tomatoes (crushed tomatoes are fine too)
- double recipe taco seasoning mix (or 2 store-bought packets)
- 4 ounces salsa
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese (light cream cheese may be used)
- 1 cup heavy cream (fat free half and half can also be used)
- 2 cup cheddar cheese
- In an Instant Pot or soup pot, saute ground beef, onion, and bell pepper over medium-high heat until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add garlic cloves, beef broth, tomatoes, salsa, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- INSTANT POT: Set pot to high pressure - 2 minutes. Once the cooking cycle is complete, allow pressure to release naturally.STOVETOP: Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to low. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add very soft cream cheese, heavy cream, and cheddar cheese to the pot. Stir until the cheeses are melted, and the soup is blended.
- Adjust seasoning, serve and garnish with your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy!
- Use our Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix for best taste - plus it's healthier than store-bought packets.
- Try and use freshly grated cheese! Pre-grated cheese in packages is coated with cellulose (a wood pulp) that absorbs moisture and prevents sticking of the cheese. Unfortunately, this also keeps the cheese from melting properly.
- Feel free to make some substitutions. Keep the onions for flavor, but feel free to add more veggies. Squash, zucchini, or even riced cauliflower taste great. Beans and corn are good too (if you’re not following a keto diet). Use ground chicken or ground turkey as a substitute for the beef too!
- NOTE: on 1/11/23 this recipe was refreshed with Instant Pot and stovetop instructions, new images, and an updated video.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Here are some more easy and delicious slow cooker or Instant Pot soup recipes you can try! All our low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto recipes. Enjoy!
More from Seeking Good Eats
Make this Instant Pot Creamy Taco Soup recipe and you'll be addicted! 🙂 This creamy, delicious Instant Pot beef taco soup gets gobbled up quickly. With ground beef, onions, peppers, taco seasonings, cream, and cheeses, your whole family will love this tasty, healthy recipe. Using your pressure cooker this low-carb and keto soup recipe is an easy-to-make weeknight dinner. #souprecipe #tacosoup #beeftacosoup #instantpot #pressurecooker #onepot #soup #Mexican #lowcarb #keto #healthyrecipe