The best homemade fajita seasoning recipe! Only 8 common spices straight out of your pantry - this spice mix tastes amazing, is super simple to make, and it's healthy! So much better than store-bought packets. Bonus: this is a gluten-free, sugar-free, low carb, and keto seasoning too!
- Watch: Making Fajita Spices
- Why You'll Love This Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- Fajita Seasoning Recipe ingredients
- How to Make Fajita Seasoning
- How To Use Fajita Spices
- Fajita Seasoning Recipe Variations
- Top Tips For the Best Fajita Seasoning
- How to store Fajita Seasoning
- Fajita Seasoning FAQs
- More Homemade Seasoning Recipes
- Best Fajita Seasoning Mix
Watch: Making Fajita Spices
Why You'll Love This Homemade Fajita Seasoning
"If you are looking for a tasty seasoning blend for chicken fajitas, beef, or pork - this is IT. Making your own seasoning mixes at home is EASY. I have been making this for years, and I'm super excited to share it with you!" 🙂 -Kori
Super Easy to Make
There is no comparison to making your own healthy homemade fajita seasoning recipe. Use on chicken, beef, pork, and even vegetables.
You make fajita seasoning with only 8 spices that are probably already in your pantry, then throw everything in a bowl or a lidded storage jar and mix it up.
I always make extra and then keep it on hand for other recipes.
So Much Flavor
There is so much flavor in this fajita mix! All ingredients are natural, making this a healthy homemade fajita seasoning mix for your next Mexican-inspired recipe adventure. You will never want to buy store-bought fajita mix again!
This recipe is on the mild side, and you can add cayenne pepper to increase the heat to your liking.
Low Carb Keto Fajita Seasoning
This is a gluten free, sugar free, low carb, keto fajita seasoning! It's super simple to make and healthy. No need to buy store-bought seasoning packets again. It's also dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, Whole30, and paleo.
While the full nutritional value is provided at the end of the recipe card, here are the most important if you're following a low carb keto diet:
0.5 g fat | 0.4 g net carbs | 0.5 g protein
If you are interested in keto, be sure to get our FREE keto food list and shopping list!
Fajita Seasoning Recipe ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this homemade fajita seasoning:
- Ground Mustard Powder
- Chili Powder - use mild or spicy
- Garlic Powder
- Paprika - use regular or smoked paprika.
- Dried Oregano
- Ground Cumin
- Kosher Salt - sea salt and regular salt can also be substituted. If using table salt start with a little less and do a taste test.
- Ground Black Pepper
- Optional - cayenne pepper to add more heat
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How to Make Fajita Seasoning
This literally is the best fajita seasoning - and it's super easy!! Here's how to make it:
In a small bowl add the chili powder, ground mustard, garlic powder, paprika, dried oregano, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Mix together until well blended.
Use or Store
Use in your favorite fajita recipe, or store in an air-tight container.
Use 1 recipe for every pound of meat.
How To Use Fajita Spices
Need easy serving suggestions? Here are some ways that you can serve your healthy homemade fajita seasoning mix:
Use it as a dry rub for chicken, beef, pork, or other favorite meat.
Make fajitas using chicken breasts or thighs, steak, pork, and vegetables. See the FAQs section below for an easy fajita recipe.
Recipes that use this homemade fajita seasoning mix:
- Chicken Fajita Casserole (Keto and Low Carb)
- Chicken Fajita Soup (Keto and Low Carb)
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Fajita Spiced Chicken Wings (Keto and Low carb)
Fajita Seasoning Recipe Variations
There are several ways you can vary or make substitutions to this fajitas spice mix:
- Play around with different types of herbs. You can even add some dried cilantro to boost the Mexican-inspired flavors.
- Onion powder can be added if desired.
- This recipe is more of a mild seasoning fajita mix so it's more flexible for most families. You can add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper for more spice.
- Try adding some dried lime peel for a little zesty flavor
Top Tips For the Best Fajita Seasoning
- Use the freshest dried ingredients for best flavor.
- Save even more time and mix up several batches of this.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.
- Use 1 recipe for every pound of meat or chicken.
How to store Fajita Seasoning
Make extra for later use! Transfer the spice blend to an airtight container. Store in a cool dark place for up to 1 year.
Fajita Seasoning FAQs
Here's a quick and easy recipe for making fajitas from scratch:
1 recipe of our fajita seasoning mix (see recipe card below)
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb chicken or beef skirt steak cut into 1/2" strips
1 medium onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
1/4 cup water
8 flour tortillas
Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook for 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from skillet then add onion and bell pepper. Saute until tender.
Return meat to skillet, add seasoning mix, and water. Cook and stir until meat is cooked through and water has reduced. Serves 8
Serve with sour cream, salsa, shredded lettuce, a drizzle of lime juice, and any other favorite fajita topping.
There are a couple of ways to marinate and season meat for fajitas. First, you can follow our simple fajita recipe above, or you can use the seasoning mix as a dry rub.
You can dry rub 1 lb of meat whole, or cut into pieces. Place in a plastic bag or an air-tight container and refrigerate for a few hours before cooking the meat. From there you can saute in a skillet until done, or you could even grill your meat.
Your mix will keep for up to 1 year if stored in an airtight container. Depending upon how fresh your dried herbs are.
This fajita seasoning mix is gluten-free, but other recipes and store-bought fajita seasoning packets may contain gluten.
Both fajita seasoning and taco seasoning are very similar actually and cuuld really be used interchangeably. Fajita seasoning is typically less spicy than taco seasoning, using very little to no cayenne pepper. Fajita seasoning has less chili powder and sometimes contains dry mustard powder (depending upon which recipe you use).
Is fajita seasoning keto?
Yes, THIS is a keto fajita seasoning and has only 0.6 carbs.
How many carbs in fajita seasoning?
The carb content of store-bought fajita seasoning packets is around 3 g, and it varies by brand. This recipe only contains 1.1 g carbs, 0.5 g dietary fiber, and 0.6 g net carbs.
More Homemade Seasoning Recipes
There's nothing better than homemade seasonings. Here are a few of our most popular recipes to try!
- Copycat Homemade Taco Seasoning - the perfect taco seasoning for beef
- Chicken Taco Seasoning - use this taco seasoning on chicken and pork.
- Chipotle Seasoning - wonderful on steaks!
- Copycat White Chicken Chili Seasoning
- Pork Dry Rub
- Lamb Rub
- Dry Rub For Chicken
- All Purpose Easy Marinade for Steak
Best Fajita Seasoning Mix
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Use immediately or store for later.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and recipe suggestions. Check it out!
- Save even more time and mix up several batches of this. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.
- This recipe is mild. Use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to increase heat.
- Use 1 recipe for every 1 pound of meat or poultry
- Recipes that use this fajita seasoning: Chicken Fajitas Bake and Chicken Fajita Soup, Fajita Spiced Ninja Foodi Chicken Wings, and Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™
The BEST Fajita Seasoning. Homemade fajita seasoning is easy to make with only 8 ingredients already in your pantry. Perfect for steak, vegetables, shrimp or chicken fajitas! It's a healthy recipe - low carb, gluten free, sugar free, whole 30 and keto! Homemade Seasoning | Fajita Seasoning | Fajita Recipes | Homemade Fajita Recipe | Homemade Condiments | Healthy Seasoning | Copycat Fajita Seasoning | Homemade Seasoning | Best Seasoning | Easy Seasoning