Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup, has a creamy broth of green enchiladas sauce, salsa verde, cheeses, and tender shredded chicken - so delicious! Make this easy soup in your slow cooker, on a stovetop, or in an Instant Pot.
The Best Green Chicken Enchilada Soup!
Here are four great reasons to love this soup recipe:
Everyone in our family loves this soup. Because we are a household of five and some like it spicy, and some don't, I can customize it so that everyone will eat.
I start by making it mild, which is how the recipe is written below. Those who like it hot can add more salsa or green chili sauce. It is challenging to remove spicy heat, so start with mild.
I used a chunky green salsa in this recipe, but I have one child who won't eat onions - and definitely wouldn't eat anything green and chunky. If he were eating this, I would opt for a green salsa with no chunks! As long as there are no chunks, he would eat. 🙂
Tasty Soup Recipe
Both creamy and zesty, it tastes just like chicken enchiladas - only better! As I mentioned above, start with mild, and each person can build their heat with a green hot sauce or additional green salsa.
Slow Cooker, Instant Pot, or Stovetop
Our family loves Mexican-inspired recipes, and having an easy one-pot Mexican meal that can be made in your slow cooker, pressure cooker, or on the stovetop is just the ticket. Chicken enchilada soup is the perfect solution for cooking on a busy weeknight!
To get the soup cooking, you literally dump your chicken, soup, and sauce in and cook all day. Later, you add the half and half and cheeses to melt. So easy
Low Carb and Keto Soup
This is a deliciously creamy low-carb and keto chicken enchilada soup. There are no added carbs from tortillas, beans, or corn in this soup.
You can use heavy cream or half in half in this recipe. The rest of the fat mainly comes from the chicken, cream cheese, and Monterey jack. This makes for a creamy, cheesy, and very hearty soup.
Using chicken thighs instead of chicken breast will increase healthy fat, as well. To decrease the protein you can use less chicken.
fat 19.7g | net carbs 5.5g | protein 30.8g
What You'll Need
Here is what you will need to make creamy chicken enchilada soup in your slow cooker or Instant Pot:
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Thighs - either one can be used.
- Green Enchilada Sauce - use 1 recipe of our homemade green enchilada sauce (it's so delicious and easy to make) or a 28 oz can of store-bought!
- Chicken Broth
- Half and Half - half and half or heavy cream can be used.
- Monterey Jack Cheese - if you can, grate your own cheese it melts better than packaged.
- Cream Cheese - cubed and very soft. Soften it in the microwave before adding to the soup.
- Green Salsa (Salsa Verde) - use any favorite brand.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional Garnish - avocado, green onion, sour cream, cilantro
Substitutions and Variations
Here are a few ways you can customize this recipe:
Spice it up by adding hot sauce, additional salsa, or chili pepper flakes.
Try adding a can of diced green chiles.
Add drained canned corn and beans like black beans, pinto beans, etc.
Fresh vegetables are wonderful in this soup. Add mushrooms, zucchini, sliced carrots when you add the broth.
Add a quick cooking minute rice, or add a half cup of long grain rice with the broth.
How To Make Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup
Here's how to make it:
Add Chicken, Sauce, and Broth
In a 6-quart slow cooker, add chicken breast or thighs, green enchilada sauce, and chicken broth. Cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.
Shred The Chicken
Remove chicken and shred.
Add Remaining Ingredients
Add half and half, jack cheese, cream cheese, and green salsa. Turn the crockpot to warm and stir until the cheeses are melted.
Add chicken back to the pot.
Use hot sauce or additional salsa to taste.
How To Serve It
Adjust salt, pepper, and salsa to taste.
Delicious topped with avocado, cilantro, green onion, and sour cream.
Give your kids some scooped tortilla chips and let them scoop up their soup.
Crush tortilla chips over the top to add some crunch.
Here are a few extra tips for making sure that your green chicken enchilada soup comes out perfect:
- To add heat, use more green salsa or a green chili hot sauce.
- Make sure your cream cheese is very soft before adding it to the soup. Cold cream cheese will not melt very well. You can even soften it in the microwave before adding it to the soup.
- For best "melt-ability", always grate your own cheese. Pre-packaged grated cheese is often coated in potato starch, which helps prevent sticking inside the package. Unfortunately, this also keeps it from melting very well.
Red enchilada sauce is made with red tomatoes, red chili peppers, onions, and other spices.
Green enchilada sauce is most often made of diced green chili peppers (such as anaheim peppers, hatch, jalapeno, etc.), garlic, vegetable stock, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Additional jalapeno peppers may also be added for more spice. Sometimes recipes will add tomatillos as well.
Both use very similar ingredients, but green enchilada sauce is cooked, and salsa verde uses raw ingredients. Not all green enchilada sauce recipes use tomatillos (but some do), whereas most salsa verde recipes use tomatillos.
Typically green enchilada sauce is made of spicy and mild green chili peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, and other seasonings. Sometimes a recipe will add tomatillos as well - but not always.
Yes. Here's how to make Instant Pot Green Enchilada Chicken Soup:
Cook your chicken on high pressure with 1 cup of broth for 8 minutes. Do a quick release after 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred.
Set Instant Pot to saute medium, and add remaining broth, shredded chicken, green enchilada sauce, salsa, and heat until warm.
Add cheese and remaining ingredients. Stir until cheese is melted.
Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!
Yes! Here's how to make Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup on your stovetop:
In a large stockpot, add chicken and broth.
Simmer until the chicken is done and can easily be pulled apart.
Remove chicken and shred.
Add shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, half and half, jack cheese, cream cheese, and green salsa to the pot. Stir and heat soup until it is warm and the cheese is melted.
Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with additional green salsa, hot sauce, and sour cream on the side. Enjoy!
Yes. This soup can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe, airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat slow. Fats from the dairy may become separated; add additional milk or cream as needed.
Yes. You can use fat-free half and half and you can reduce the cheese to 1 cup without sacrificing taste.
Adding olive oil and additional cheese will increase the fat in this recipe. You can also use heavy cream in place of half and half. Topping the soup with avocado and sour cream will also increase the fat.
If you tried Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup, be sure to let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2.5 Pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 recipe green enchilada sauce (or a 28-ounce can store-bought sauce)
- 24 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese (cubed and softened)
- 4 ounces green salsa (salsa verde)
- salt and pepper to taste
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- In a 6-quart slow cooker add chicken breast or thighs, green enchilada sauce, and chicken broth. Cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Add shredded chicken, jack cheese, cream cheese, half and half, and green salsa to slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to warm and stir until cheeses are melted. Add hot sauce or additional salsa to taste.
- Serve and enjoy! Delicious topped with avocado, cilantro, green onion, and sour cream.
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Cook your chicken on high pressure with 1 cup of broth for 8 minutes. Do a quick release after 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred.
- Set pot to saute medium, and add remaining broth, shredded chicken, green enchilada sauce, salsa, and heat until warm. Add cheese and remaining ingredients. Stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- In a large stockpot, add chicken and broth. Simmer until chicken is done and can easily be pulled apart. Remove chicken and shred.
- Add shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, half and half, jack cheese, cream cheese, and green salsa to the pot. Stir and heat soup until it is warm and the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with additional green salsa, hot sauce, and sour cream on the side. Enjoy!
- This recipe makes a mild to medium spice soup. To add spice, use additional green salsa or a green chili hot sauce or diced jalapenos.
- Make sure your cream cheese is softened before adding it to the soup. The quickest way to soften is to remove it from the package and place in a microwave-safe bowl for a few seconds at a time on low - until very soft.
- MUST TRY: Be sure to try our new homemade Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe - it's easy and delicious!
- VARIATIONS: Feel free to add diced vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, or onions. Add jalapeno pepper if you like more heat. You can also add black beans, white beans, or corn. So many possibilities!
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
More Soup Recipes
Here are a few of my favorite Mexican-inspired soups:
- Green Chili Pork Stew Recipe
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup
- Keto Chicken Chili (Slow Cooker)
More delicious soup recipes I think you'll LOVE:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Low Carb and Keto Chicken Soup
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup with Beer Brats
- Easy Tomato and Basil Soup
More Recipes You'll Love
Creamy green enchiladas chicken soup is so tasty and easy to make in your Instant Pot or crockpot. Chicken enchilada soup is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. Easily adapted Instant Pot recipe so you've got even more options. A perfect Mexican recipe for taco Tuesdays! The best keto soup! #keto #mexican #soup #tacotuesday #slowcooker #crockpot #lowcarb #sugarfree #healthychicken #instantpot #chicken #chickensoup #dinneridea #healthyrecipe #enchiladas #souprecipe #easyrecipe