This Lemon Mojito Recipe is so refreshing and easy - think cool minted lemonade with a sparkle. This skinny lemonade cocktail is made with rum or vodka, lemon, and mint, and a splash of club soda.
The perfect light cocktail that can be made with regular sugar or a granulated sugar substitute. Low carb, sugar-free, and keto-friendly.
Why You Will Love This Lemon Rum Cocktail
Only a few simple ingredients and a couple of steps and you are on your way to a delicious, refreshing cocktail to enjoy whenever the need arises!
The combination of lemon, mint, and sparkling water is so delicious. It is literally the perfect drink year-round. I can definitely see myself sitting on my deck on a warm Spring or Summer evening enjoying this cocktail. LOL
You could easily substitute vodka and add berries for a simple twist. You could also use another favorite sparkling water beverage or a lemon-lime soda.
You can use regular sugar and tonic water if you are not following a low sugar diet plan. The nutrition analysis below was created using a sugar-substitute (monk fruit) and diet tonic water.
You can use a 1:1 sugar substitute such as granulated monk fruit or erythritol to make this a low carb, skinny, sugar-free, and keto cocktail.
If you use a sweetened soda as a substitute for the club soda, make sure that it is diet and does not contain regular sugar.
Depending upon how sweetened your substitute is, you may need to lower the amount of sugar that is called for in the recipe.
110 calories| 0.1 g fat | 4 g net carbs | 0.2 g protein | 1.5 g sugar
Ingredients and Tools
Here are the ingredients and tools you will need to make a lemon mojito:
- 1½ lemon (quarter the 1/2 lemon, then juice the whole lemon)
- 1½ tablespoons 1:1 granulated sugar substitute or regular sugar
- 8 - 10 mint leaves
- 1½ oz light rum (or vodka)
- 1/2 cup ice
- 4 to 6 oz diet or regular tonic water (can also sub lemon-lime soda)
- optional: berries, extra lemon and mint for garnish
- jigger or small measuring glass
- highball glass
- stirrer (see spoon straw note below)
- straws (my favorite straws EVER are these spoon straws - seriously! They are perfect for stirring, sipping, and retrieving fruit at the bottom of your glass! 🙂 They are also environmentally friendly (no plastic) and they are dishwasher safe)
How to Make a Lemon Mojito
Muddle the quartered lemon, mint, and sugar in a highball glass.
Add the juice of 1 lemon, rum or vodka, ice, and top with tonic water.
Adjust lemon, rum, sugar, and tonic water to your exact liking! Everyone's tastes are different.
Stir, garnish, and enjoy!
- Mixologists recommend that you only muddle the mint for 4 to 6 turns to keep the mint from becoming bitter. I've had a couple of people claim you can "clap" the mint in your hand to release the oils; however, all I found is that I get mint oil on my hands instead of in my drink where it belongs. LOL! 🙂
- Depending upon how tart certain lemons are or using unsweetened sparkling water, you may need to adjust up or down according to your taste.
How Do You Muddle A Drink?
Using a muddler, mash your cocktail ingredients (lime, lemon, mint, berries, etc) in the bottom of your glass. Mash by pushing the muddler down onto the fruit or herbs into the bottom of the glass and twisting.
Repeat this process 4 to 6 times. This extracts the juices from the fruit or herbs and infuses the flavor into your drink.
Can I Make My Mojito With Vodka?
Yes! You can make your mojito recipe with vodka. Light rum is traditionally used in mojitos, but vodka is frequently used as well.
It makes a great substitution if you are out of rum, or prefer the taste of vodka better.
Can I Use Dark Rum In A Mojito?
Yes, you can use dark rum in this mojito but it will have a "richer" flavor as opposed to a "light" flavor. It will also create a darker beverage instead of a clear beverage.
You will have to adjust the lemon and sugar content slightly to compensate for the darker rum.
Can I Make A Mojito With Sprite or Other Sparkling Beverage?
Yes! Making a mojito with Sprite or other sparkling soda or water tastes great. Keep in mind that if you use a sweetened soda, you will need to reduce/adjust the sugar called for in this recipe.
There are so many possible combinations. Use what you have on hand! I made this cocktail with a berry unsweetened sparkling water once and it was delicious.
Can I Add Berries To A Mojito?
Yes! In fact berries added to a mojito are so delicious. You can add berries as a garnish as I did in this recipe, or you can add a few to the bottom of your glass and muddle them with the lemon and mint.
This will extract the berry juices. There are any number of combinations you can make with berries - and all are GOOD in my book! Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc....yum.
Here are some more low-carb and keto-friendly cocktail recipes you might like!
- Irish Mule Cocktail Recipe (Skinny Keto Low Carb)
- Low Carb Cranberry Mojitos (Sugar Free Keto Cocktail)
- Irish Cream Recipe (Sugar Free Keto Cocktail)
- 20+ Keto Alcoholic Drinks and Low Carb Cocktails
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review and Comment on This Recipe
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don't forget to review our dish!
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
This Skinny Lemon Mojito is so refreshing and light! It is also a sugar-free, keto, and low carb cocktail. Only 110 calories, 4 g net carbs! Easy to make - the perfect cocktail. An easy cocktail recipe that is also a healthy recipe! The perfect balance between sweet and tart. Use vodka or rum, add berries, and switch up your sparkling water for mojitos. #lowcarb #mojitos #mexicancocktail #sugarfree #keto #ketogenic #skinnycocktail #cocktails #adultbeverage #drink #vodka #rum #mint #lemon