Zucchini Ground Beef Taco Casserole is so delicious with its zucchini and cheese crust topped with a flavorful taco meat mixture and melted cheese - you can't go wrong with this Mexican taco casserole!
This is a low carb and keto casserole that is family-friendly and can be enjoyed by everyone.
Watch Recipe Video
You Will Love This Taco Casserole
The zucchini and cheese crust is so delicious and adds amazing flavor.
Got lots of zucchini growing in your garden? I do! In fact, I accidentally let a zucchini grow too large so I used it in this recipe and it made the perfect 4 cups shredded zucchini.
This is a perfect casserole if you are a mixed diet household. While this is a low carb and keto-friendly recipe it should work for almost everyone in your house, whether they are following a ketogenic diet or not. This will make your life easier.
You can make this casserole ahead of time by baking and freezing, or you can assemble it and keep it in the fridge the day before you want to bake this. You can also bake the casserole and eat on it for several days for lunch.
Gluten-Free, Low Carb, and Keto
With 37.3 grams of fat and only 4.2 grams of net carbs, this is a perfect keto casserole. The nutrient counts for each serving is 1/8 of the casserole. I love that this casserole is so satisfying and filling - and I'm not left wanting more after dinner! 🙂
37.3 fat | 4.2 g net carbs | 36.7 g protein
Ingredients and Tools
- 4 cups zucchini, unpeeled and shredded
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, grated and divided
- 2 cup cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 2 lb ground beef 80/20
- 1 taco seasoning packet or 1 recipe of Seeking Good Eat's Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Optional: taco toppings such as shredded lettuce, diced tomato, green onion, olives, and sliced avocado
- Cutting Board
- Food Processor with shredder attachment or use a cheese grater
- Measuring Cups
- Cheese Grater
- Measuring Spoons
- Casserole Dish
Make and Bake The Zucchini Crust
Preheat oven to 400ºF
Drain shredded zucchini in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess moisture.
In a large bowl, combine, zucchini, eggs, half of cheddar, and pepper jack cheese.
Spray a 13 x 9" casserole dish with nonstick spray. Press mixture into the bottom of the dish and bake for 20 minutes.
Prepare Taco Meat
In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain fat. Add taco seasoning mix and 3/4 cup water. Cook until liquid is absorbed.
Add sour cream and salsa to the meat and stir until combined.
Spread the meat mixture evenly over the top of the zucchini crust. Top with the remaining half of cheeses.
Bake until cheese is bubbly, approximately 20 minutes.
The casserole can be topped with your favorite taco toppings such as shredded lettuce, diced tomato, green onion, olives, and sliced avocado. Serve with additional sour cream and salsa.
- Always use freshly grated cheese. Pre-grated cheese that comes from packages is coated to keep it from sticking. This coating also prevents the cheese from melting.
- Make sure that your grated zucchini has had the moisture thoroughly removed from it. Sprinkling the salt over the zucchini while it sits draws out the moisture. Use your hands to gently squeeze the zucchini to wring the moisture out. If it still seems moist you can dab the zucchini with a paper towel.
How can I lower the fat in this recipe?
You can lower the fat in this recipe by using lower-fat cheeses, and by substituting a fat-free sour cream of regular sour cream. You can also use leaner ground beef, or substitute a lower fat ground turkey or chicken. Enjoy!
Can I freeze zucchini ground beef taco casserole?
Yes, this taco casserole is freezable! Bake and cool the casserole. Cover and freeze. To reheat, partially thaw the casserole overnight in your refrigerator. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes prior to baking.
Note that if you have topped the casserole with fresh vegetables such as shredded lettuce, tomato, green onion, these cannot be frozen. You will need to remove it before freezing.
Bake the casserole (uncovered) at 350º for 30 minutes or until heated through.
How long will taco casserole keep in the refrigerator?
Mexican taco casserole will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator after it has been baked. This casserole makes GREAT leftovers!
Recipes with Zucchini
More zucchini recipes here! 🙂 I don't know about you but I love to grow zucchini in the garden. When the zucchini plant starts producing - look out! I'm always in need of good zucchini recipes. Over the years, I've developed a few favorites. Here you go:
- Low Carb Chicken Enchiladas (Keto Zucchini Enchilada Boats)
- Quick Stuffed Zucchini Taco Boats
- Baked Zucchini Casserole With Cheese
- Zucchini Carpaccio
- Herb Marinated BBQ Vegetables
More Casserole Recipes
Here are a few more of my favorite casserole recipe you might like to try!
- Leftover Ham Casserole
- Fusion Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe
- EASY Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole
- Parmesan Chicken Casserole
- Reuben Bake With Meatballs
- Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
⭐ Let's Connect
If you tried this Zucchini Ground Beef Taco Casserole, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Zucchini taco casserole is a delicious and healthy ground beef recipe. This taco casserole uses zucchini and cheese for a delicious crust and is topped with a flavorful taco meat mixture and melted cheese! The perfect make-ahead Mexican recipe that is also freezable casserole - makes great leftovers too! Low carb and keto taco casserole recipe. #zucchini #tacos #zucchinirecipe #tacorecipe #tacocasserole #lowcarb #ketogenic #healthyrecipe #tacotuesday #groundbeefrecipe #mexicanrecipe