Dry Rub For Chicken - The Best Dry Rub! is a simple recipe for perfectly seasoned chicken every time! This dry rub works perfectly as a seasoning for pork and vegetables as well. Easy to make extra to keep for future use!
The Best Dry Rub For Chicken (Or Pork)
Easy Chicken Dry Rub
This is an EASY recipe. Simply mix seasonings together and sprinkle over chicken or pork.
Make extra for future use too! Store in an airtight container
Easy Dry Rub Grilled Chicken Recipe
Here is my favorite recipe for grilled chicken - Dry Rub Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce. You will go crazy over this
You can easily make this ahead, double or triple the recipe, and save for later use - storing in an airtight container.
Healthy Homemade Dry Rub
This chicken dry rub is sugar-free and has only whole ingredients. This works perfectly for low carb, paleo, keto, whole food, and sugar-free diets.
1 g fat | 2 g net carbs | 1 g protein
Want more low carb and easy keto grilling recipes? Check out Quick and Easy Low Carb and Keto Grilling Recipes
Ways To Use Dry Rub
There are lots of ways to use dry rub! That's the beauty of it! Here are a few of my favorite ways:
Use the dry on boneless or bone-in chicken, and grill, bake, or fry in a skillet. Also a great dry rub for chicken cooked in a smoker! Instructions for how to bake chicken in the oven and or cook on a grill are below.
This recipe works great as a pork rub for pork chops (bone-in or boneless), tenderloin, and more! You can enjoy baked, grilled, or fried in a skillet. You can even cook a pork roast with dry rub in a slow cooker! Here's a bonus recipe for you:
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork With Dry Rub Seasoning
Instructions: Place a pork butt roast in a slow cooker. Pour a can of root beer (regular or diet/sugar-free) over the top, then add this dry rub. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until pork is very tender and pulls apart easily. Remove from liquid and shred pork. Add some BBQ sauce if you like, serve on a sandwich bun or wrapped in lettuce. Voila! Super easy dinner idea
This really tastes great on pork and vegetables too. One of my favorite things to do is toss with vegetables such as potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, etc and then grill in a basket or roast in the oven. SO dang good! 🙂
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make dry rub for chicken. 1 recipe will season 2½ lbs bone-in chicken, 2 lbs of boneless chicken, or 1 whole chicken (a general rule of thumb: 8 chicken thighs, 6 breasts, or a whole chicken).
Please see recipe card for full instructions and ingredient amounts! 🙂
- Dried oregano
- Smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine, but smoked has the best flavor)
- Dried parsley
- Garlic salt
- Ground thyme
- Onion powder
- Ground mustard
Here's how to make a dry rub for chicken! It's quite easy 🙂
- Add thyme, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic salt, parsley, ground mustard, and pepper to a small bowl.
- Mix all ingredients until blended.
- Use or store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Place chicken (pork or veggies too) in a plastic bag or bowl. Sprinkle dry rub over the meat or vegetables and toss until all pieces are evenly cover with dry rub. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or even overnight if you have to.
- Cook chicken according to instructions below.
How to Use Dry Rub
Here are two ways to use the dry rub on chicken - baking or grilling the chicken.
How To Bake Chicken In The Oven
To cook chicken in the oven, set your temperature to 400ºF. For easy cleanup, line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or foil coated with a nonstick spray.
The times below are approximate based upon the sizes of your chicken pieces. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), always cook your chicken to a safe temperature of 165ºF.
The best way to check the doneness of your chicken is with a instant read thermometer.
How Long To Cook Chicken In Oven:
- Bone-in chicken: bake for 45 minutes
- Boneless chicken: bake for 20 to 25 minutes
How To Cook Chicken On The Grill
To cook chicken on the grill, preheat grill to medium (350º to 450ºF). The times below are approximate based upon the sizes of your chicken pieces.
How Long To Cook Chicken On Grill
- Bone-in chicken: grill 25 to 30 minutes (flipping once). Note that large pieces will require additional grilling time.
- Boneless chicken: grill 8 to 10 minutes (flipping once)
Note: always cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165º
- 1 recipe will season: 2½ lbs bone-in chicken, 2 lbs of boneless chicken, or 1 whole chicken (a general rule of thumb: 8 chicken thighs, 6 breasts, or a whole chicken).
- Spicy lovers can add more heat with cayenne pepper.
- Make extra and store in an airtight container for future use!
- For best taste, use fresh dried herbs if possible. I am guilty of having a large spice cabinet full of old spices! Most of the ingredients in this recipe are commonly used. The two that aren't as common ware ground thyme and smoked paprika. You can substitute 1 tablespoon of dried oregano instead, and once you try smoked paprika you will use it all the time - it's definitely worth buying!
How To Tell If Chicken Is Done?
Use a Thermometer to test (most accurate method)
Using an instant read thermometer, insert into the middle of the thickest part of the chicken, without touching the bone. The chicken is done when the temperature reaches 165º.
Check the Color of the Chicken
Another way to test chicken for doneness is to cut into the thickest part. Chicken is done cooking when you can no longer see pink. Tip: Don't let the chicken cook until the fibers separate, or it will be overcooked.
How to apply dry rub to chicken
My favorite way to apply dry rub to chicken is to place the chicken pieces in a gallon sized plastic bag then add the dry rub. Seal the bag and then toss until the chicken is coated. You can then just place the bag and all straight into the refrigerator! Super easy!
How much dry rub should I use on chicken?
One recipe makes approximately 6 tablespoons of seasoning (or, a heaping 1/3 cup). This recipe seasons approximately 8 chicken thighs, 6 chicken breasts, or one whole chicken. If you make extra for storing later, you can estimate approximately 1 tablespoon per piece - give or take.
How do you stick dry rub to chicken?
The dry rub in this recipe will stick if the chicken is slightly moist and I've never had an issue getting it to stick. However, if you have a more granular dry rub you can moisten chicken by rinsing in water and removing excess, or you can brush with a little oil (like olive oil).
How long can dry rub sit on chicken?
You can let this dry rub sit on the chicken up to 2 days. If you can, refrigerate chicken with dry rub on it for a minimum of 2 hours (it's ok if you can't do this). I frequently let the chicken sit in refrigerator with dry rub overnight. It has more flavor when I do this.
If you are following a different dry rub recipe, the amount of time you can leave dry rub on chicken may vary.
What temperature should chicken be cooked to?
Safe cooking temperature for chicken is 165ºF. If you don't have a thermometer, cut into the middle of the chicken. When it is no longer pink in the center it is done.
📋 Printable Recipe
- Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix
- Best Grilled Chicken Recipe (Dry Rub Grilled Chicken with White BBQ Sauce)
- Keto Chicken Wings (Dry Rub Chicken Wings)
- Homemade Shake and Bake (Copycat Shake and Bake - Keto)
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review and Comment on This Recipe
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don't forget to review our dish!
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!
Try this dry rub recipe for chicken (and pork). The best dry rub for chicken -it's an easy and healthy homemade seasoning recipe that makes perfect seasoned chicken, pork, and vegetables. This dry rub seasoning mix is Whole30, paleo, gluten free, sugar free, low carb, and keto friendly too! Enjoy this healthy recipe - it makes the BEST grilled chicken. #dryrub #seasoningmix #chicken #pork #lowcarb #keto #paleo #whole30 #glutenfree #sugarfree #easy #grilling #bbq #cookout #vegetables