This homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning recipe can be made in less than 5 minutes - with spices you already have! Tastes better than store bought and it's super versatile and can be used on chicken, ground beef, pork, and vegetables! Bonus: it's healthy, low carb, low calorie, gluten-free and guilt-free!
- You will love this Mexican Chicken Seasoning
- Chicken Taco Seasoning ingredients
- How to make Chicken Taco Seasoning
- How to use Chicken Tacos Seasoning
- Chicken Taco Seasoning Recipe variations
- Mexican Chicken Seasoning recipe tips
- Mexican Seasoning for Chicken storage
- More Seasoning Recipes
- Chicken Tacos Seasoning
You will love this Mexican Chicken Seasoning
"I love making my own seasoning mixes because I know what's in them, and I can customize the spices and heat level as needed!
You'll have this made in five minutes or less! All you have to do is measure each spice and put it in a small bowl, and mix all seasonings together. That's it!
This chicken taco mix is not just for chicken! Use it on roasted vegetables, ground beef tacos, and pulled pork for tacos.
This homemade seasoning is keto-friendly, low-carb, gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan, vegetarian, and low calorie! Be sure to use a gluten-free thickener such as xanthan gum and granulated sugar substitute for keto and sugar-free diets. Adjust any seasonings to your dietary needs.
Chicken Taco Seasoning ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make the BEST chicken taco seasoning mix:
- Dried Chili Powder - as with all spice mixes, using the freshest dried ingredients has the most flavor.
- Dried Onion Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Ground Cumin
- Dried Garlic Powder
- Paprika - use regular or smoked
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper - adjust the amount of this to customize your heat level.
- Granulated Sugar - regular sugar or a sugar substitute.
- Optional Thickener: cornstarch or xanthan gum.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How to make Chicken Taco Seasoning
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this taco seasoning:
1. Make The Seasoning
Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Store any extra in an air-tight container for up to 6 months.
2. How To Make Chicken Tacos
In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon of oil.
Add ground chicken, diced chicken breast, or diced boneless skinless chicken thighs, and cook until done. Once the chicken is done cooking, drain any grease.
Add seasoning along with ¾ cup of water. Bring to a rapid simmer and cook until the water reduces and the mixture thickens to your desired consistency, approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve in taco shells, wrapped in lettuce, or over a chaffle.
How to use Chicken Tacos Seasoning
Here are a few ways to serve this homemade taco seasoning mix:
Use this chicken taco seasoning in 7 Can Taco Soup and these delicious baked Chicken Tacos!
Make chicken taco salad instead of a beef salad.
Make vegan tacos by using vegetables as your taco stuffing! Use your favorites such as peppers, onions, zucchini, cauliflower, or any others!
If using this seasoning for tacos, use 1 recipe for every pound of meat. Double or triple and store for later use.
Use your favorite taco meats with this seasoning mixture such as ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, and pulled pork.
Keep it low carb by making a taco salad or using romaine lettuce as a taco "shell."
Chicken Taco Seasoning Recipe variations
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Adjust the amount of any seasoning used to your liking.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes or more cayenne to make this seasoning spicier!
- If using this seasoning mixture as a dry rub, you can substitute fresh herbs for the dried herbs. If used as a taco seasoning, then I would suggest staying with all dried ingredients.
Mexican Chicken Seasoning recipe tips
- Using the freshest dried ingredients will give you the best flavor.
- Use ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper for a mild seasoning mix, ½ teaspoon for medium, and approximately ¾ to 1 teaspoon for hot.
- For ease, add your seasonings to a small mixing bowl, and blend together using a small whisk.
Mexican Seasoning for Chicken storage
Store in an air-tight container for up to 6 months.
There isn’t much of a difference between the two except that chicken taco seasoning has less cumin than taco seasoning does. Most taco seasonings have a higher ratio of cumin and chili powder.
Of course this answer depends on which recipe you use but most homemade chicken taco seasonings consist of salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, cumin, paprika, oregano, and chili powder.
The rule of thumb is to always add your taco seasoning after you have cooked and drained your taco meat if necessary.
They are similar, but chicken taco seasoning contains more onion powder, cayenne, and slightly more chili powder. Fajita seasoning often contains mustard powder and slightly fewer spices.
Yes, you can use taco seasoning on the chicken. Typical taco seasoning is used on ground beef and contains more chili powder than chicken taco seasoning does. Chicken taco seasoning is slightly more subtle in flavor, so it doesn't overpower the mildness of chicken.
Chicken taco meat is called pollo. Chicken tacos are also called pollo de tacos. Chicken taco meat is seasoned and usually made with ground chicken, or boneless chicken is cut and cooked in bite-sized pieces. Or, large pieces are cooked and shredded.
More Seasoning Recipes
If you love to make your own healthy homemade seasoning recipes, be sure to check out these:
- Chipotle Seasoning
- Best Fajita Seasoning Recipe
- Pot Roast Seasoning
- Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe
- Copycat White Chicken Chili Seasoning Mix Recipe
- Pork Dry Rub
- Lamb Rub
- Dry Rub For Chicken
Chicken Tacos Seasoning
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your liking)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum used as a sauce thickener
Chicken Taco Seasoning
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Store any extra in an airtight container.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon oil. Add 1 pound ground or cubed chicken breast and cook until done. Once the chicken is done cooking, drain the grease. Add seasoning mix along with ¾ cup of water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the water reduces and the mixture thickens to your desired consistency, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Serve in taco shells, wrapped in lettuce, or over a chaffle.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: This recipe has a mild to medium spice level. Adjust spiciness to your taste preference.
- TOP TIPS: Make extra and store in an air-tight container up to 6 months; Use ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper for a mild seasoning mix, ½ teaspoon for medium, and approximately ¾ to 1 teaspoon for hot. Always start with less and add more to taste.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Can be used in any taco recipe with beef, chicken, pork, or seafood. For tacos, use 1 recipe per 1 pound of ground beef.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™