No Bean Chili Slow Cooker Recipe (Low Carb Keto) will have you hooked. It's a super easy Texas-style chili full of meat, tomatoes, onions, chili seasonings, and an added twist - BBQ sauce. So good!
You'll Love This No Bean Chili
"This is one of my favorite ways to make chili - Texas BBQ style. It's easy, low carb/keto - and has no beans! Meat lovers will LOVE this! The taste of this chili will change based on the type of barbecue sauce you use - happy taste testing!" 🙂 - Kori
Easy Slow Cooker Recipe
No bean chili slow cooker recipe is VERY EASY - just dump it all in your slow cooker, turn it on low all day, and voila! Super easy chili. It really is that simple.
I think you'll love the taste of this recipe. All the seasonings and spices blend perfectly after a day of low and slow cooking, and the twist of BBQ sauce makes it unique from many other chilis. So unique!
Play around with your barbecue sauces and see what is your favorite! I created my own sauce recipe which is what I used when developing this chili recipe. There are so many varieties to choose from.
Healthy Low Carb and Keto
Because there are no beans in this chili version it works well on a keto diet. The protein is slightly higher than the fat content, but you can overcome this by adding some olive oil and using higher fat beef.
You can also increase healthy fat by adding toppings such as cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, etc.
You can find the full nutritional analysis at the bottom of the recipe card.
15.8 g fat | 6.1 g net carbs | 23.4 g protein
How to Serve
This no bean chili recipe can be a meal in one, but here are some ideas if you're looking for more. Some of the options are not low carb - sorry. They will be perfect if you have a family with non-low carb or non-keto followers, though!
- Fresh green salad
- Cheese crisps
- Corn chips, tortillas, breadsticks, or cornbread (not low carb)
Ingredients and Tools
Don't let the quanity of ingredients intimidate you. Most of the ingredients are in the spices. Chili uses a lot of spices! The rest are common ingredients that you can easily find.
- Stew meat
- Ground beef, cooked
- Small onion, diced
- Green pepper, diced
- Diced tomatoes (stewed tomatoes, or a mix of both, also work well)
- Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce Recipe (or use any favorite BBQ sauce, keto followers use sugar free)
- Tomato paste
- Cloves garlic, minced
- Chili powder
- Paprika (try smoked paprika- it's really good)
- Cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Bay leaves
- Optional: 4 to 6 whole pepperoncini peppers (adds some heat!)
- Optional thickeners: 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp of water, or 1/2 tsp xanthan gum mixed with 1 tbsp olive oil.
Here are some different ways you can customize this no bean chili recipe!
- Add a can of beans, rinsed and drained (not low carb)
- Add a can of corn, drained (also not low carb)
- Use dice tomatoes with green chilis for more flavor and spice.
- Use a variety of tomatoes for a different texture.
- Add more vegetables like hot peppers (like jalapenos) for the spicy lovers, or maybe even sliced mushrooms, diced carrots, or diced zucchini.
- Substitute ground chicken or turkey for the ground beef.
- Use smoked sausage instead of the ground beef or the stew meat.
- Want a smoky taste? Add a few drops of liquid smoke.
Note that if you add additional ingredients the seasoning quantities may need to be adjusted. Also, some ingredients such as fresh vegetables will add more liquid so you may need to thicken the chili before serving.
In a skillet, brown ground beef until no longer pink. Dice onion and green pepper. Mince garlic.
Spray crockpot with nonstick spray Add stew meat, browned ground beef, onion, green pepper, diced tomatoes, barbecue sauce, tomato paste, garlic, chili powder,cayenned, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper to slow cooker.
In a small bowl, mix xanthan gum and olive oil together until dissolved. Add to slow cooker then stir. Add bay leaves and pepperoncini.
Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or until stew meat is tender.
Serve and garnish with additional pepperoncini peppers. Season with additional salt and pepper or barbecue sauce if desired. Adjust spiciness with more cayenne pepper or a few drops of your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy!
- Like your chili spicier? You can add cayenne pepper for spice or a few drops of hot sauce. Some barbecue sauces can be spicy so if I'm not sure I adjust the spiciness at the end.
- Want your chili thicker? If your chili is not as thick as you would like, there are a couple of ways you can thicken it. Add the cornstarch or xanthan gum mixture to your slow cooker and stir. Allow the chili to sit for a few minutes with the lid off.
- Cornstarch. Use 1 tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp of water. Add to the chili and stir. Allow chili to sit without lid for a few minutes and it will thicken.
- Xanthan Gum (low carb thickener option). Use 1/2 tsp xanthan gum dissolved in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add to the chili and stir. Allow chili to sit without lid for a few minutes and it will thicken.
What is Texas style chili?
Texas style chili has no beans and is predominately made of meat and spices. Some recipes will call for tomatoes in the recipes, while some do not. The spices in Texas chili make it extra flavorful.
How can I reduce the fat in chili?
To reduce the fat in this recipe, use a lower fat ground beef.
How can I increase the healthy fat in this recipe?
You can increase the fat in this chili by using higher fat ground beef and by adding olive oil. You can also add even more fat with your toppings - grated cheeses, diced avocado, sour cream, etc.
Can I freeze chili?
Yes, chili is freezable! Cook and cool the recipe. Transfer to a freezer-safe container, then freeze. To reheat, partially thaw overnight in your refrigerator. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes prior to heating.
How long will this recipe keep in the refrigerator?
Chili will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator after it has cooked. It makes GREAT leftovers!
I have worked full-time for years and it was always a challenge balancing my job and family. It was really important that we have a family meal together in the evening. The slow cooker was always my life saver for delicious meals!
Here are some of my favorite crockpot recipes that I've made over the years:
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken (Keto Low Carb)
- Italian Crock Pot Beef Roast (Instant Pot Beef Recipe)
- Crockpot Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup (Keto Soup Slow Cooker)
- Easy Slow Cooker Pork Butt Roast (Low Carb Pork Roast)
- Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs (Low Carb and Keto Slow Cooker Chicken)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Breast | by Recipe Rebel
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review our recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Easy Texas-style no bean chili in your slow cooker! Super easy crockpot recipe loaded with meat, tomatoes, onions, chili spices, and barbecue sauce! A fuss-free family favorite dinner recipe that you can make in the morning and have it ready in the evening with ease! A low carb keto chili recipe that everyone in your house can eat. #chili #slowcooker #crockpot #nobeanchili #beef #groundbeef #stew #ketochili #easyrecipe #dinnerrecipe #lowcarb #keto #glutenfree #texaschili