This pot roast seasoning recipe is super simple to make - 5 minutes and 9 ingredients straight out of your pantry! The best part? It's healthy, and its smoky salty-sweet notes taste amazing! Use it on your next lamb, chicken, pork, or beef pot roast recipe.
This recipe can be used in my delicious fall apart eye of round roast, on ribeye steaks, or even pork chops. It also makes a terrific substitute for the onion soup mix called for in my ever-popular slow cooker beef stroganoff. 🙂
You'll ❤️ This All-Purpose Seasoning For Pot Roast
"I love making my own seasoning mixes - they always taste SO MUCH BETTER than store-bought blends, and I feel good knowing I'm feeding my family something healthy. This pot roast rub seasons beef roasts to perfection!"
Best Flavor! I think you'll love this delicious seasoning blend. It's bold, smoky, sweet, and salty and pairs perfectly with beef, pork, chicken, and lamb.
Quick and Easy. You'll have this recipe ready in less than 5 minutes with only a few simple ingredients straight out of your spice cabinet!
Homemade Healthy. This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, low carb, keto, and vegan. Only whole dried spices are used. Use a sugar substitute if following a sugar-free or keto diet. Make it vegan by using a vegan-appropriate substitute.
🥘 What is in Pot Roast Seasoning?
There are a variety of herbs and spices in pot roast seasoning. While each recipe can vary in ingredients, the best pot roast seasoning recipes contain garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper, sweetener (or a sugar-free substitute), basil, oregano, and smoked paprika.
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make perfect pot roast seasoning recipe:
- Brown Sugar - this adds a wonderful sweetness, but feel free to omit it. A sugar substitute may be used if you are avoiding sugar.
- Garlic Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Celery Salt
- Onion Powder
- Ground Black Pepper
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
- Smoked Paprika - for smoky flavor I use smoked paprika, but you could also use regular or a sweet variety.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make Pot Roast Seasoning
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making pot roast beef seasoning:
Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
Use in your favorite pot roast recipe, or rub it on beef, pork, chicken, or lamb.
Use 1 tablespoon of this seasoning per pound of meat. Adjust as needed after cooking.
For a simple pot roast recipe: rub a chuck roast with pot roast seasoning (1 tablespoon for every pound). Place the roast in a crock pot with 1 cup beef broth and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours until the roast is tender. Onions, potatoes, and carrots can be added to the bottom of the slow cooker first, if desired.
Transfer any extras to an airtight container and store it in a cool dark dry place.
🥗 How To Use It
Here are some great ways to use your pot roast seasoning:
- Use this delicious dry rub for eye of round roast, chuck roast, brisket, and even steaks.
- Use it as a dry rub for pork, chicken, and lamb - then grill, roast, or sear! Try these super easy Frozen Pork Chops in Air Fryer.
- Whether you use a dutch oven, Instant Pot, or a slow cooker, add the mix to any beef or pork roast recipe. Great with chicken breasts too!
- Makes a great steak rub. The brown sugar will give your steak a nice crust!
- Flavor hamburgers and meatloaf with it.
- Add it to casseroles, soups, and stews.
- Season rice or vegetables with it.
💭 Top Tips
- Use the freshest dried herbs to extend its shelf life - up to 2 years!)
- Make extra to store for later use!
Moisture is the biggest spoiler of spice mixes. Store this mix in an airtight container in a cool dry place - like your pantry.
If stored in an airtight container in a cool dry place, this mix will keep up to 2 years. Keeping moisture out is key to preserving the freshness of dried herbs, spices, and sugar.
For the best flavor, you should season your pot roast before searing. Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of this seasoning mix per pound of beef.
To make this seasoning keto omit the sugar or use a sugar substitute such as golden monk fruit.
✔️ More Seasoning Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious healthy seasoning mixes and rubs, check these out:
- Chipotle Seasoning
- Best Fajita Seasoning
- Copycat White Chicken Chili Seasoning Mix Recipe
- Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe
- Pork Dry Rub
- Dry Rub For Chicken
- Lamb Rub
Homemade Pot Roast Seasoning Mix
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool dry place.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: omit the brown sugar if desired or use a sugar-free brown sugar substitute.
- TOP TIPS: make extra to store and keep on hand for later use!
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: use 1 to 2 tablespoons of this seasoning per pound of meat.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
Leave a Reply