Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup (Low Carb Keto Soup Recipe) is a fiesta in a bowl! Chicken, peppers, onions, seasoning, cream, and cheese blend together to make this tasty creamy chicken fajita soup!
An easy slow cooker soup that is also a low carb and keto recipe that everyone can enjoy. Instructions for making in your Instant Pot included!
You'll Love Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup
TASTY Slow Cooker Soup
This soup is so tasty and full of zesty flavors. You really can customize the spice in this by changing from mild, medium, or hot salsa. You could also add diced jalapeno, or hot sauce to kick up the heat as well! I have a tendency to keep things on the mild side so that everyone in my house will eat. Those who like it spicy can zest it up when they eat.
I love slow cooker/crockpot recipes. They are perfect when you are a busy working person such as myself. I am sure I repeat myself a lot, but a slow cooker is a lifesaver for me while working full time and raising a family. It is fuss-free!
The BEST Chicken Soup
I have been making this soup for years. It's such a simple recipe to make in your slow cooker. I've served it to family and friends and it's always been a huge hit. It's very easy to double so you can serve to a crowd as well.
Really there is not too much to do other than cut your veggies, the rest is just dumping certain ingredients in at the beginning, and others at the end.
Instant Pot Soup
This chicken fajita soup can be made in your InstantPot/pressure cooker. Instructions below! 🙂
HEALTHY Keto Soup Recipe
This healthy soup recipe is low in carbs, has no added sugar, is gluten free, and keto-friendly.
If you wish to increase healthy fat in this recipe you can add more avocado oil, more cheese, and top with fresh avocado and sour cream.
If you want to lower protein then you can use less chicken. Using 4 chicken thighs instead of 6 lowers the protein content to 24.3g per serving.
fat 22.9 g | net carbs 6 g | protein 31.6 g
How to Serve
Chicken fajita soup is really a meal in a bowl but if you're wanting a little variety here are a few ideas on what to serve this soup:
- If you are a low carb keto following make (or buy) cheese crips and dip in the soup.
- Non-low carb followers will enjoy corn chips, tortilla chips, or even corn bread.
- A fresh green salad goes really well with soup. Make an easy taco salad dressing by mixing salsa, sour cream, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- If you are serving this soup to a crowd you could make our Overnight Layered Salad Recipe
Ingredients and Tools
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 bell peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces (make it pretty with different colored peppers!)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- Double recipe of Seeking Good Eat's Copycat Taco Seasoning
- 24 oz chicken broth
- 8 oz chunky salsa
- 2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or more, if desired)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional thickener: 1/2 tsp xanthan gum mixed with 1/2 tsp of olive oil
- 4 to 6 quart slow cooker
- Chef knife
- Cheese grater or food processor with a grater attachment
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
Here are some ideas to change up this soup or make substitutions:
- Substitute chicken breast for chicken thighs.
- Add more vegetables. Zucchini and mushrooms are delicious. Just add in step one and cook along with the chicken.
- If you are not following a low carb or keto diet you can add drained and rinsed black beans, pinto beans, or a can of corn.
- Add heat with sliced jalapenos or use a hot salsa.
- Add a smoky taste by using a few drops of liquid smoke.
- Use a different kind of cheese to mix up the flavor.
Got any other ideas? I'd love to hear them! Drop a comment below or send an email.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, chicken thighs, broth, and taco seasoning to the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until chicken is done.
- Stir in salsa and cheese until melted.
- Stir in the room temperature heavy cream and then sour cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, chicken thighs, broth, avocado oil, and salt to the Instant Pot. Secure lid and cook on High pressure for 4 minutes. Allow the pot to release it's steam naturally. While waiting for the pot to release pressure, removed half and half and sour cream and allow to come to room temperature.
- Remove the lid from the pot when pressure is released. Stir in salsa and cheese until melted. Stir in the room temperature half and half and then sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Can I make this soup in an Instant Pot?
Yes! Instructions are above, but add all ingredients except the salsa, cheese, half and half, and soup. Cook on the High-pressure setting for 4 minutes. Allow pressure to release natually. Remove lid when pressure is released, add remaining ingredients. Serve and enjoy!
How can I lower the fat in this recipe?
If you'd like to lower the fat in this recipe use half and half or a lower fat milk and a lower fat sour cream. You can also use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs, and use less cheese.
How can I add more fat to this recipe?
Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, add additional cheese, top with avocado and sour cream.
How can I thicken my keto soup?
An easy way to thicken soups when following a keto diet is to use xanthan gum. Use it sparingly as a little goes a long way. Mix 1/4 to 1/2 tsp xanthan gum in a small bowl with a small amount olive oil or avocado oil (1/2 to 1 tsp). Add the mixture into whatever you are trying to thicken.
How long will this soup last?
This soup will last 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator!
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup. However, we recommend that you freeze the soup before adding dairy products. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the refrigerator and warm in your crockpot when ready to serve. Add the dairy products (See recipe card) after soup is warm.
Crockpot Soup Recipes
- Easy Tomato and Basil Soup (Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Soup)
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup)
- Crockpot Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup (Keto Soup Slow Cooker)
Keto Mexican Recipes
- Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers (Keto Stuffed Peppers)
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup (Instant Pot Soup Recipe)
- Low Carb Chicken Enchiladas (Keto Zucchini Enchilada Boats)
- Quick Stuffed Zucchini Taco Boats
- Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review our recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe is an easy dinner idea! So tasty and easy to make in the slow cooker. The perfect Mexican recipe for weeknight dinners. Low carb and keto soup recipe. Easily adapted Instant Pot recipe. Keto Chicken Fajita Soup can be enjoyed by your whole family. #crockpot #soup #chickenfajita #mexicanrecipe #chickensoup #easydinner #easyrecipe #dinnerrecipe #dinneridea #tacotuesday #slowcooker #lowcarb #mexican #keto #seekinggoodeats #instantpot