Southern Sweet Tea (Sugar-Free Keto Sweet Tea) is an easy to make classic iced tea recipe that's ever-so-popular in the South. This sweet tea version is sugar-free so not only is it tasty and refreshing - it's guilt-free too! Don't want sugar-free? Use regular sugar instead!
Southern Sweet Tea (Sugar Free Keto Sweet Tea)
Try this classic Southern Sweet Tea recipe that is sugar-free. It's tasty, refreshing - AND has 0 calories, 0 net carbs, and 0 sugar. This is a low carb and keto sweet tea but can be enjoyed by all. Homemade Southern-style sweet tea is an easy drink recipe that is perfect year-round! #sweettea #southernsweettea #sweettearecipe #sweetteasouthern #sugarfree #lowcarb #keto #homemadesweettea
You'll Love Southern Sweet Tea!
| Classic Southern Recipe
Is there any other drink that is more classically Southern than sweet tea? In the South, sweet tea is more than just a drink - it's practically a way of life. 🙂 Think rocking chairs and front porches - peacefully sipping away at an ice-cold glass of refreshing tea on a hot day.
I have a funny sign in my kitchen that says: "Here in the South...we don't hide crazy, we parade it on the front porch and give it sweet tea." 🙂
Lately, it feels like we're all a bit crazy, right? Maybe we should ALL grab a glass of sweet tea and parade ourselves around on the front porch? Let's give the neighbors something to talk about. LOL!
| Guilt Free Sugar Free Iced Tea
For sweet tea lovers looking for a homemade healthier version that's sugar free - here you go! Tasty and guilt-free. Gotta love that. This recipe has no calories, no fat, no protein, and no net carbs.
| Keto Sweet Tea
This is a keto-friendly sweet tea. I used a granulated monk fruit sweetener but you can use your favorite sugar substitute as long as it is a 1:1 sugar ratio.
The nutritional analysis of this recipe, including the optional baking soda is as below. Yes - for real...it's all zeros!
net carbs 0g | fat 0 g | protein 0 g
What You'll Need to Make This Recipe
- 8 cups boiling water
- 2 - 3 family-sized tea bags
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar substitute with a 1:1 sugar ratio (or regular sugar)
- Optional: 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Garnish: lemon wedges and mint leaves
How To Make Southern Sweet Tea
In a saucepan, heat water to boiling. Add tea bags and steep for 8 minutes. Remove tea bags. While the water is still hot, add sugar and whisk to dissolve. This is optional, but you can add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to remove the bitter taste of the tea.
Allow tea to cool the transfer to a pitcher and refrigerate.
Serve over ice along with lemon wedges and springs of mint if desired.
- Use any favorite sweetener with a 1:1 sugar ratio. If you are not following a sugar-free diet then by all means use regular sugar if you'd like.
- You can use 4 regular sized tea bags for every one family sized bag.
- If you don't like the "bite" of tea you can add 1/2 tsp of baking soda while the water is warm. This will make the tea more smooth tasting.
- Everyone has a different sweet preference. Some like it very sweet others not so much. Adjust your sugar to your liking. If you aren't sure start with 1/2 cup sugar up to 1 cup.
- This recipe calls for 2 to 3 family-sized tea bags for every 8 cups of water. If you prefer your tea on the stronger size use 3 tea bags. For a more medium flavor use 2.
- If you were to try the tea straight with no ice it will seem strong and very sweet. Remember that once you add it over ice the ice will begin melting and dilute the taste.
| How many tea bags equals a family size tea bag?
4 regular tea bags equals 1 family-sized tea bag.
| How do you serve sweet tea?
Sweet tea is best served over a full glass of ice, a lemon wedge, and even a sprig of mint. The mint adds a refreshing taste to the tea - perfect for a hot day!
| Do you need to boil water to make iced tea?
The quickest way is to boil water, however you can make a cold brewed ice tea by placing tea bags in cold water in a pitcher. Cover the pitcher and refrigerate for 12 hours.
| Why do you put baking soda in sweet tea?
By adding baking soda to sweet tea it will neutralize the tannins in the tea giving it a much smoother taste. It's completely optional of course!
| How long is homemade sweet tea good for?
Homemade sweet tea is good for 3 to 4 days, but for the freshest taste, it is best to drink the first day! Enjoy!
| Why not just add the sugar straight into your glass after serving?
If you add sugar to cold water it will not dissolve and results in a pile of sugar at the bottom of your glass. Why not add it to the hot water when you brew your tea so the sugar has a chance to evenly dissolve?
Sugar Free and Keto Cocktails
Sweet Low Carb and Keto Recipes
- Lemon Meringue Custard Pies
- Chocolate Torte
- Almond Butter Cake
- Fudgy Brownies
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins | by Whole Lotta Yum
We'd Love To Hear From You!
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
1 | REVIEW OUR RECIPE
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don't forget to review our dish!
2 | SHARE YOUR PHOTOS
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
3 | PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!