Southern Sweet Tea (Sugar-Free Keto Sweet Tea) is an easy to make classic iced tea recipe that's ever-so-popular in the South. This sweet tea version is sugar-free so not only is it tasty and refreshing - it's guilt-free too! Don't want sugar-free? Use regular sugar instead!
🎥 Watch Video
You'll ❤️ Southern Sweet Tea
I have a funny sign in my kitchen that says: "Here in the South...we don't hide crazy, we parade it on the front porch and give it sweet tea." 😉
Lately, it feels like we're all a bit crazy, right? Maybe we should ALL grab a glass of sweet tea and parade ourselves around on the front porch? Let's give the neighbors something to talk about, right? LOL!
Classic Southern Recipe
Is there any other drink that is more classically Southern than sweet tea? In the South, sweet tea is more than just a drink - it's practically a way of life. 🙂 Think rocking chairs and front porches - peacefully sipping away at an ice-cold glass of refreshing tea on a hot day.
Guilt-Free Sugar-Free Iced Tea
For sweet tea lovers looking for a homemade healthier version that's sugar free - here you go! Tasty and guilt-free. Gotta love that. This recipe has no calories, no fat, no protein, and no net carbs.
Keto Sweet Tea
This is a keto-friendly sweet tea. I used a granulated monk fruit sweetener but you can use your favorite sugar substitute as long as it is a 1:1 sugar ratio.
The nutritional analysis of this recipe, including the optional baking soda is as below. Yes - for real...it's all zeros!
net carbs 0g | fat 0 g | protein 0 g
🥘 What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients and tools you'll need to make your sugar free Southern sweet tea:
Family Size Tea Bags - black tea is traditionally used but you could also use green tea.
Sugar Substitute - with a 1:1 sugar ratio (or regular sugar)
Optional - baking soda
Garnish - lemon wedges and mint leaves
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make It
Here's how to make sugar free Southern Sweet Tea
In a saucepan, heat water to boiling.
Add Tea Bags
Add tea bags and steep for 8 minutes. Remove tea bags.
Add sweetener and whisk to dissolve while the tea is still hot.
Optional: add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to remove the bitter taste of the tea.
Cool and Serve
Allow the tea to cool then transfer to a pitcher and refrigerate.
Serve over ice along with lemon wedges and sprigs of mint if desired.
💭 Top Tips
- Use any favorite sweetener with a 1:1 sugar ratio. If you are not following a sugar-free diet then by all means use regular sugar if you'd like.
- You can use 4 regular sized tea bags for every one family sized bag.
- If you don't like the "bite" of tea you can add 1/2 tsp of baking soda while the water is warm. This will make the tea more smooth tasting.
- Everyone has a different sweet preference. Some like it very sweet others not so much. Adjust your sugar to your liking. If you aren't sure start with 1/2 cup sugar up to 1 cup.
- This recipe calls for 2 to 3 family-sized tea bags for every 8 cups of water. If you prefer your tea on the stronger size use 3 tea bags. For a more medium flavor use 2.
- If you were to try the tea straight with no ice it will seem strong and very sweet. Remember that once you add it over ice the ice will begin melting and dilute the taste.
4 regular tea bags equals 1 family-sized tea bag.
Sweet tea is best served over a full glass of ice, a lemon wedge, and even a sprig of mint. The mint adds a refreshing taste to the tea - perfect for a hot day!
By adding baking soda to sweet tea it will neutralize the tannins in the tea giving it a much smoother taste. It's completely optional of course!
Homemade sweet tea is good for 3 to 4 days, but for the freshest taste, it is best to drink it the first day! Enjoy!
Do you need to boil water to make iced tea?
The quickest way is to boil water; however, you can make a cold-brewed ice tea by placing tea bags in cold water in a pitcher. Cover the pitcher and refrigerate for 12 hours.
Does unsweet tea have calories?
Unsweet tea has no calories. If you follow this recipe, the tea will have 1 calorie, depending upon the sweetener you use.
✔️ More Drink Recipes
From cocktails to coffee, here are some more no sugar added or sugar free drink recipes I think you'll enjoy.
- Cold Brew Coffee Recipe
- Strawberry Martini
- Peach Martini
- Lemon Mojito
- Irish Mule Cocktail Recipe
- Chocolate Cream Cold Brew Recipe
- Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew
Try this classic Southern Sweet Tea recipe that is sugar-free. It's tasty, refreshing - AND has 0 calories, 0 net carbs, and 0 sugar. This is a low carb and keto sweet tea but can be enjoyed by all. Homemade Southern-style sweet tea is an easy drink recipe that is perfect year-round! #sweettea #southernsweettea #sweettearecipe #sweetteasouthern #sugarfree #lowcarb #keto #homemadesweettea