Homemade Onion Soup Mix is super simple to make - and it's inexpensive! You'll love this improved copycat Lipton onion soup mix with our own special seasonings added. So much better than store-bought! Bonus: it's keto, low-carb, sugar-free, and gluten-free!
Why You'll ❤️ Onion Soup Mix
"Growing up, the one thing always in the cupboard was onion soup mix. It was used in so many different recipes! I love making this homemade version so I can adjust the ingredients to exactly what I want, plus I can make a large batch and save for later."
Lipton onion soup mix is a classic that has been around for decades! There are approximately three tablespoons in each packet of soup mix. Making your own homemade soup mix allows you to put as much or as little into your recipes.
This recipe can be made in bulk which makes this mix very inexpensive! Save yourself time and money by making a large batch and saving it in an air-tight container for many recipes.
This recipe is healthy because it is low-carb, keto, and gluten-free! Because the beef bouillon has a higher sodium content, I didn't add any additional salt. You can add more to your taste if desired!
🥘 What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make dry onion soup mix:
- Beef Bouillon Granules - I found mine at my local grocery store. You can also find this in a sodium-free version if preferred.
- Onion Flakes - also known as dried minced onion.
- Onion Powder
- Dried Parsley Flakes
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Black Pepper
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make It
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this seasoning mix:
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and store in an air-tight container.
One recipe is equivalent to one store-bought packet.
🥗 How To Serve It
Here are a few ways to serve this onion soup mix:
Use this mix on your favorite pork or beef roast!
Add it to meatloaf.
Make French onion dip by adding it to a 16-ounce container of sour cream.
Sprinkle over pork chops and bake in the oven.
Use to make a homemade French onion soup!
Meal idea! Fall Apart Eye of Round Roast sprinkled with this onion soup mix will slow cook and absorb all these delicious seasonings. Serve with these Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts and Buttery Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. Yum!!
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Add additional seasonings to this recipe that would complement, such as celery seed or celery salt.
- Add some chipotle powder, crushed red pepper flakes, or your other favorite spices!
- Easily multiply the recipe to get the quantity you need.
- Use sodium-free bouillon if you want to cut the sodium in this mix.
💭 Top Tips
- Make in large quantities and store for lengths of time. Give away as gifts or store in your cabinet for everyday use.
- An air-tight container is necessary when storing your onion soup mix. In time, moisture in the air can cause your soup mix to eventually clump if it isn't stored properly.
- For easy mixing, use a small whisk to quickly incorporate all of your dry ingredients!
How To Store
Store your onion soup mix in an air-tight container at room temperature to help keep any moisture in the air from touching your dry mixture. Store for up to 4 months.
Most, if not all, onion soup mixes contain minced onion flakes, onion powder, paprika, celery seed, dried parsley, ground black pepper, and dried beef bullion granules of sorts. Some recipes have small tweaks adding smoked paprika or powdered garlic, but the majority stand by the same ingredients.
Onion soup mix is open to all varieties of onions, whether dried or powdered. French onion soup mix is predominately made with yellow onions only.
Scallions and shallots are the top two replacements for onion powder but may not pack as much of an onion punch as powder would, so you may need to add a little extra when using these two ingredients as substitutions. Some other ingredients that have similar flavors are fennel bulbs, celery salt, garlic salt, or garlic powder.
✔️ More Seasoning Mixes
If you are looking for more delicious seasoning mixes, check these out:
- Pork Dry Rub
- Copycat White Chicken Chili Seasoning Mix Recipe
- Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe
- Best Fajita Seasoning Recipe
- Chipotle Seasoning
- Pot Roast Seasoning
Onion Soup Mix
- 1½ tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- ¼ cup onion flakes (dried minced onion)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and store in an air-tight container. 1 recipe = 1 store-bought packet.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Adjust any seasoning to taste.
- HOW TO USE IT: 1 recipe = 1 store-bought packet. Use in meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, on steaks, in soup, on potatoes and roasted vegetables.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™