This easy Pizza Soup recipe has all your family's favorite pizza ingredients in a cozy, comforting bowl of soup. It tastes just like pizza - but with a lot less carbs! This soup recipe is keto, low-carb, gluten-free, and has no added sugar.
Watch: How to make Loaded Pizza Soup
Why you'll love this Recipe for Pizza Soup
"Pizza soup is one of my family's favorites. It tastes amazing, it's super easy - and much healthier since there is no carb-laden crust." 🙂
I think Pizza soup is as good as pizza. It's family-friendly and a favorite in our house! Customize it just like your would regular pizza! Add or omit any ingredients in this recipe. It's that simple.
Everything is cooked in one pot from start to finish. Just follow the instructions on what to cook step by step, and it will be hard to mess up. You've got it!
Since there is no crust, this is a low carb, gluten-free, and keto pizza soup recipe. It can be adapted depending upon your dietary restrictions. Adjust the ingredients to meet your needs. Be sure to check out the Variations section below for more ideas!
Keto followers be sure to use sugar-free pizza sauce and use heavy cream and additional olive oil if you want to increase the fat content.
Pizza Soup Recipe ingredients
- Italian Sausage - this is your typical sausage on pizza but substitute with your favorite type of sausage if preferred.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Green Bell Pepper - you can use any colored pepper. Green bell peppers tend to be the easiest to find and most cost-effective.
- Onion - use any onion; I prefer to use yellow or sweet onion varieties.
- Mushrooms - slice your own or purchase pre-sliced. You can also choose to use any variety, such as a white button or baby bella mushrooms.
- Chicken Broth - you can use chicken, beef, or vegetable broth.
- Pizza Sauce - any brand that your store carries and that you like. Keto followers use sugar-free.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes - you can use petite diced or regular-sized diced, as preferred.
- Pepperoni Minis - use your preference here as well. They make turkey variety to lower calories and fats. You can also use diced pepperoni if preferred.
- Cream Cheese - any variety works well.
- Half and Half - you can also substitute for heavy cream.
- Mozzarella Cheese - pre-shredded mozzarella cheese or shred your own; either works great!
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Keto Pizza Soup variations
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Customize this soup with any of your favorite pizza toppings!
- Make this vegetarian soup by removing the pepperoni and Italian sausage. Add more vegetables to bulk it up.
- Use turkey or chicken sausage - or a vegetarian sausage replacement.
- Add more seasonings like Italian seasoning, dried oregano, and dried basil, or add fresh minced garlic in with the onions a couple of minutes before you add the next ingredients.
- Substitute any of your preferred dairy products in place of the suggested ingredients in this recipe. For example, use low-fat options to reduce the fat content. I used fat-free half and half when I made this recipe.
- Make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes to your soup or garnish.
How to make Pizza Soup
1. Saute Vegetables
Preheat a stock pot with olive oil over medium heat and saute your bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms until tender.
2. Add Non-Dairy Ingredients
Add Italian sausage, chicken broth, pizza sauce, diced tomatoes, and pepperoni.
Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes.
Add softened (very soft) cream cheese and stir until melted, then add the half and half.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into bowls and top with mozzarella cheese.
Pizza Soup Recipe tips
- Save time and pre-cook sausage and chop green bell pepper and onion ahead of time.
- When sautéing the vegetables, ensure the pot is smoking slightly so you can achieve some caramelization and flavor for your soup!
- When simmering soup, cover with a tight-fitting lid to keep liquids from evaporating.
How to serve Pizza Soup (Keto)
- Garnish with chopped green onion, pepperoni slices, and fresh basil.
- Soup and a salad is a classic combo, and for a good reason! Serve with a simple, fresh green salad with your favorite salad dressing such as Low Carb Keto Italian Dressing, Maple Balsamic Dressing, or Catalina French.
- Serve with breadsticks, fresh Italian bread, or rolls.
Pizza Soup storage
Cool the soup then transfer it to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also freeze it - see the instructions below.
How to freeze Keto Pizza Soup
Once the soup is cooled transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
How To Reheat
Microwave - transfer pizza soup to a microwave-safe bowl and heat on low setting until warm, about 2 minutes cook time.
Pizza Soup Keto FAQs
The nice thing about pizza soup is that it contains everything you love about pizza in soup form (without the crust), which makes it much healthier. The carb content varies from one recipe to the next, but this one contains 8 net carbohydrates and can be adjusted up or down with a modification of ingredients.
More Soup Recipes
Here are some more delicious soup recipes I know you'll love:
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup
- Tomato and Basil Soup
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
Creamy Pizza Soup (Keto)
- ½ lb italian sausage (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup onion
- 4 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 24 ounces chicken broth
- 6 ounces pizza sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup pepperoni minis (or diced pepperoni)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 8 ounces half and half (or heavy cream)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Preheat a stock pot with olive oil over medium heat and saute bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms until tender.
- Add in the Italian sauce, chicken broth, pizza sauce, diced tomatoes, and pepperoni. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add softened (very soft) cream cheese and stir until melted, then add half and half.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and serve.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use your favorite pizza toppings! Use turkey sausage, fat free half and half, and light cream cheese to lower the fat content.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with fresh basil, diced bell pepper, or a few pepperoni slices.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™