Leftover Ham Casserole is creamy, cheesy, and super delicious - it's also a GREAT way to use up all that leftover ham! Yay for that!
This healthy leftover ham recipe is the perfect low and keto dinner idea that everyone in your house will love it - even if they're not following a keto diet.
- Watch how to make Ham and Cheese Casserole
- What to do with Leftover Ham....make this Leftover Ham Casserole Recipe!
- What you'll need for this Leftover Ham Recipe
- How to make this Ham Casserole Recipe
- Ham Casserole Recipe variations
- How to serve Leftover Ham casserole
- Ham and Cheese Casserole Storage
- Ham Casserole Recipe tips
- Leftover Ham Casserole FAQs
- Ham and Cheese Casserole Storage
- More from Seeking Good Eats
- More Recipes
- More to Try from Seeking Good Eats
- 💬 Comments
Watch how to make Ham and Cheese Casserole
What to do with Leftover Ham....make this Leftover Ham Casserole Recipe!
"I don't know about you, but I am always looking for recipes that will help me use up all that leftover ham from Easter or Christmas dinner!" 🙂 - Kori
Ham and cheese just seem to go together. That's what makes this ham casserole SO GOOD. I took this a step further and threw in some vegetables (onions, spinach, and cauliflower) - any opportunity to sneak in vegetables is great!
Every time I make this recipe, my family gobbles it up - they are the BEST and most vocal taste testers! Kitchen-tested and family-approved.
Great Use of Leftovers
Got a leftover Christmas ham from your holiday dinner? Perfect. Use a ham steak if you don't.
Perfect One Pot Meal
I love that you can The perfect one pot meal for busy weeknights. Make this dish ahead of time and baked when ready. Use a casserole dish or even a cast iron skillet to bake this.
Low Carb and Keto Ham Recipe
I think you'll love that this recipe is low carb, keto, and gluten-free! So, on top of being easy, it's also quite healthy. Yay!
While the full nutritional value is provided at the end of the recipe card, here are the most important if you're following a low carb keto diet:
fat 24.2 g | net carbs 6.2 g | protein 19.8 g
What you'll need for this Leftover Ham Recipe
Here are the ham casserole ingredients and tools you'll need:
- Fresh Cauliflower Florets - microwave from fresh or frozen. For frozen you should cook in the microwave until crisp-tender only, it's easy to overcook so watch them carefully.
- Olive oil
- Baby Spinach - you'll love the freshness that the spinach provides - you can always squeeze in some veggies, right?
- Cooked Diced Ham - this can be leftover ham, or from a ham steak. Leftover spiral ham with thinner slices is fine too!
- Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese - mild, medium, and sharp will work. Monterey jack cheese can also be used.
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Dijon Mustard
- Fresh Parsley - try different herbs if you want! Chives and thyme are nice
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Pork Panko or Seasoned Breadcrumbs - pork panko is the low carb option.
- 2.5 to 3-Quart Casserole Baking Dish
- Cheese Grater
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Spoon
What cheeses go best with ham?
Cheddar cheese, gouda, swiss, monterey jack cheese, and havarti go best with ham. A salty ham pairs well with a creamy milder cheese such as jack, Havarti, and gouda. A sweet ham goes well with cheddar cheese, smoked gouda, and swiss cheese.
How to make this Ham Casserole Recipe
Here's how to make ham casserole with cauliflower and cheese:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease casserole dish with butter or use non stick cooking spray.
- Cook cauliflower florets in salted boiling water for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Tip: you can also microwave steam with a few tablespoons of water - whichever method is easiest for you.
- Run cold water over the cauliflower to stop the cooking. Strain cauliflower and set aside.
Saute Onion and Spinach
- In a 12" skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and saute onion until soft.
- Add spinach to the skillet and saute until wilted.
Add Remaining Ingredients
- Add ham and cauliflower to the pan and stir together.
- Add cream cheese, 2 cups of cheese, sour cream, dijon mustard, parsley, salt, and pepper. Combine all ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to a prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and then pork panko or seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly.
Ham Casserole Recipe variations
Here are a few suggestions for varying or modifying this ham casserole:
- Try out different cheeses. Swiss or gouda would be delicious too!
- Substitute leftover diced chicken instead of ham.
- Garlic powder or fresh minced garlic can be added.
- Make this a pasta casserole. If you're not following a low-carb plan you can add 1 cup of cooked pasta like egg noodle to absorb and thicken the sauce instead of using a thickener.
- Alternatively, you can fully replace the cauliflower with cooked pasta and a ham and noodle casserole, make a creamy sauce with cream of mushroom soup (or chicken soup) and a little chicken broth. This can be substituted for sour cream and cream cheese if desired.
- Mix a little melted butter with bread crumbs to make a crunchy topping.
- Don't feel limited to just parsley! Try a little thyme, chives, rosemary, and even basil. Give it a French spin with herbs de Provence or an Italian spin with Italian seasoning.
- Feel free to substitute broccoli for cauliflower - broccoli cheese and ham - YUM.
How to serve Leftover Ham casserole
Here are a few ways to serve this casserole:
Adjust seasoning to taste.
Serve with a side of rice or pasta for the non-low-carb followers in your home.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later!
Ham and Cheese Casserole Storage
To store any leftovers, let the casserole cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. It can be frozen up to 4 months (make sure that the container is freezer-safe).
How long does a ham last in the fridge?
An opened package of ham is best eaten within 4 days. If the ham is unopened, refer to the expiration date of the package. Ham can be frozen if you don’t think you will use it before the expiration date.
Ham Casserole Recipe tips
- Do not overcook the cauliflower or it will become too soft and break down in your casserole. Cook to crisp-tender only.
- If you want to cut down on a pan use a 12" oven-proof skillet to cook and bake the casserole.
Leftover Ham Casserole FAQs
Leftover ham is good for no more than 4 days if stored in your refrigerator in an air-tight container.
Yes, ham is keto friendly with only 1 to 2 carbs per serving - BUT be sure to check the packaging for hidden sugar! Many hams have sugar, especially those that have been pre-glazed. If the ham comes with a glazing packet the sugars will more than likely be in the packet and not on the ham.
A good casserole combines a variety of textures and flavors, protein and vegetables, fat (butter, cream, or cheese), and a binder (pasta, rice, flour, reduced heavy cream, and cheese) to thicken any sauces and “pull it all together.”
Ham and Cheese Casserole Storage
How do you store leftover ham?
Store any remaining ham in an airtight container or plastic bag in your refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can you freeze leftover ham?
Ham can be frozen if store in a freezer-safe airtight bag or container. I like to freeze ham slices in a plastic freezer bag. If I have a leftover ham bone I leave some of the ham on the bone and freezer for later use in soup.
If you tried Leftover Ham Casserole, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
More from Seeking Good Eats
Ham Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups fresh cauliflower florets cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups cooked ham (diced in bite size pieces)
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon pork panko or seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease casserole dish with butter.
- Cook cauliflower florets in salted boiling water for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Run cold water over the cauliflower to stop the cooking. Strain cauliflower and set aside.
- In a 12" skillet over medium heat add olive oil and saute onion until soft.
- Add spinach to the skillet and saute until wilted. Add ham and cauliflower to the pan and stir together.
- Add cream cheese, 2 cups of the cheese, sour cream, dijon mustard, parsley, salt, and pepper. Combine all ingredients.
- Transfer to a casserole dish then sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and pork panko (or seasoned breadcrumbs)
- Bake in the oven 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes can be found in our post. Check it out!
- TOP TIP: Try out different cheeses. Swiss or gouda would be delicious too! Substitute leftover diced chicken instead of ham.
- SUBSTITUTIONS: Try different cheeses or herbs. You can also substitute diced cooked chicken in place of the ham. Sub broccoli for the cauliflower; Make it a ham and noodle casserole by omitting the cauliflower and replacing with cooked egg noodles or other pasta. Cream of mushroom soup or chicken soup and a little chicken broth can be used for the sauce. Omit the sour cream if used. Spiral sliced ham can be used instead of diced ham.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Garnish with fresh parsley or other herbs. While it's not needed, those not following a low carb diet may want a side of rice or even a fresh roll.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
Here are some more delicious ham recipes you might like:
- Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole (Low Carb Keto) - uses leftover ham too!
- Ham and Cheese Roll Ups (Low Carb and Keto Appetizer)
- Sugar Free Brown Sugar Bourbon Glazed Ham
- Slow Cooker Ham With Coke (Low Carb and Keto Ham Recipe)
If you're looking for casserole recipes give these a try:
- Zucchini Ground Beef Taco Casserole
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole (Low Carb Gluten Free)
- EASY Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole (Keto Low Carb)
- Parmesan Chicken Casserole
More to Try from Seeking Good Eats
Leftover ham casserole is delicious and cheesy - and the perfect way to use up any extra ham! p.s. You actually don't need leftovers to make this ham casserole recipe. This gluten-free, low carb, and keto casserole is an easy family-friendly weeknight dinner idea.