This Microwave Cauliflower recipe is deliciously simple and by far the easiest way to get perfectly cooked cauliflower. You can prepare it in 5 minutes (or less), cook it in less than 9 - and there are many ways you can serve it. Cauliflower makes a great pasta substitute in many recipes as it's gluten free, low carb, and keto.
Why You'll ❤️ Microwave Cauliflower
"Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables because of how versatile and easy it is to make! Steaming cauliflower in microwave is the easiest method and it can then be used as a side dish or added to other recipes."
Quick and Easy
Making microwave cauliflower is as simple as adding a bit of water to a microwave-safe bowl and microwaving until tender! That's it. To keep it simple, I like to add butter, salt, and pepper to mine. Sometimes I even grate some cheese over the top.
So Many Uses
Microwave cauliflower can be used in other recipes as a replacement for pasta, or it can be made as is for a simple side dish. To make mashed cauliflower, cook the cauliflower in the microwave until very soft. Mash it and add butter.
Cauliflower is a super healthy vegetable because it is low-carb, keto-friendly, low-calorie, low-fat, gluten-free, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, and Whole30! It is super versatile to use in many different diets, so it is easy to prepare for a large group too!
🥘 What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make microwave cauliflower:
Cauliflower - use a large or a medium-sized head of cauliflower; adjust the size to your needs.
Water - a small amount used for steaming the cauliflower.
Butter - used for serving. You can use your preferred kind of butter.
Salt and Pepper - used for serving. Add any additional seasonings to your liking.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Steam Cauliflower in Microwave
Here's how to steam cauliflower in microwave from fresh or frozen:
Cut the cauliflower into 1-inch florets or "bite-sized" pieces. Hint: try to keep the florets about the same size, so they cook evenly in the microwave.
From fresh: Place the fresh cauliflower florets in a large microwave-safe bowl and add one-quarter to one-half cup of water. Cover with a lid.
Microwave on high, approximately 4 to 6 minutes until crisp tender or until your desired tenderness is reached.
From frozen cauliflower: Same steps as from fresh, but you may need to adjust your cooking time to increase to approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
Check frequently; when done, drain well and serve.
🥗 How To Serve It
Here are a few ways to serve microwave cauliflower:
Serve with butter or a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese, garlic powder, freshly chopped parsley, and a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice for an extra tasty side dish.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to microwave cauliflower:
- The same microwave technique can be used on broccoli, carrots, and more! Be sure to adjust your cooking time if needed.
- You can use either fresh or frozen cauliflower when steaming in the microwave. If using frozen cauliflower, you just need to increase your cooking time by 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add any seasonings you like! Make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes, chipotle powder, or your favorite hot sauce over top of your cauliflower.
💭 Top Tips
- Do not overcook the microwave cauliflower, as it can easily become mushy.
- Because of the difference in microwave power, be sure to check frequently and remove when desired doneness is reached.
- For even cooking, be sure to cut cauliflower florets into uniform sizes.
- If cooking cauliflower for use in other recipes, be sure to cook only until crisp-tender (al dente).
How To Store
Cool and store microwave cauliflower in an air-tight container for up to 4 days. You may also cover your container tightly with plastic wrap.
How To Reheat
Yes, place it in a bowl and cover it with a loose plastic lid or plastic wrap with a few puncture holes in it. Reheat for up to 2 minutes or until your cauliflower has reached 165 degrees.
How To Freeze
First, cool your cauliflower. Then place in an airtight container or ziplock freezer bag and freeze for up to 4 months.
About 4 to 6 minutes. Cut cauliflower into 1-inch florets and place in a microwave-safe dish with 1/2 cup of water at the bottom. Cover and cook on High approximately 4 to 6 minutes until fork tender. If the cauliflower needs more time, keep heating it additionally at 1-minute intervals.
About 6 to 8 minutes. Place the cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl and cover to steam until desired tenderness is reached, about 6 to 8 minutes. If the cauliflower needs more time, keep heating at 1-minute increments.
Yes, cauliflower is keto! One medium-size head of cauliflower contains 29 grams carbohydrates, 12 grams fiber, and 17.5 grams net carbs. Since it has only 1.6 grams of fat and 11 grams of protein, you can easily increase the healthy fats by serving with a drizzle of olive oil, butter or topped with cheese.
For more information, please check out this FREE Printable Keto Food List PDF
✔️ More Cauliflower Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious cauliflower recipes, check these out:
- Frozen Cauliflower in Air Fryer Recipe
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Buffalo Cauliflower Recipe
- How To Cook Cauliflower
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad (with Pasta or Cauliflower)
- Seafood Pasta Salad (Use Pasta or Cauliflower)
- Cauliflower Cheese (Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese)
- Coconut Cauliflower Rice (Keto Cauliflower Rice)
How To Microwave Cauliflower
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into 1" florets
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- for serving: butter, salt, and pepper to taste
How to Microwave Fresh or Frozen Cauliflower
- Place cauliflower florets (fresh or frozen) in a large microwave-safe dish and add ¼ to ½ cup of water. Cover with a lid.
- For fresh cauliflower, microwave on high, approximately 4 minutes until crisp-tender, or until your desired tenderness is reached. For frozen cauliflower, cooking time will increase to approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Check frequently.
- Drain well and serve.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: The same microwave steaming technique can be used on broccoli, carrots, and more. Be sure to adjust cooking time if needed. Use fresh or frozen cauliflower. If using frozen cauliflower, increase microwave cooking time by 2 to 3 minutes.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with butter, salt, and pepper to taste. You can also add lemon juices, garlic powder, and parsley for more flavor!
- TOP TIPS: Do not overcook; cauliflower can easily become mushy. Because of the variance in microwave power, check frequently. If cooking cauliflower for use in other recipes, be sure to cook only until crisp-tender.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™