Keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole (Low Carb Gluten Free) is a family favorite casserole - and TOTAL cozy comfort food. You're gonna love the tasty pie crust topping with tender bits of chicken, mushrooms, vegetables - all smothered in a delectable herb gravy.
You'll Love Keto Chicken Pot Pie
"Oh my gosh - this chicken pot pie is super tasty! Everyone in my house gobbled this up. It takes a little longer making your own gravy - but it's TOTALLY worth it! You can assemble this ahead of time and bake when you're ready or make it for a Sunday supper." -Kori
Chicken pot pie is total comfort food, right? It is the most delicious thing to make on a chilly night. There is just something about tender chicken, a delicious gravy, and a tummy pie crust topping that makes us super happy.
One Pan Start To Finish
You'll love that you can take this casserole from your stovetop to the oven - and only use one pan. A cast iron skillet is one of my favorite
This is a chicken casserole that you can serve to your whole family - and they're going to LOVE it. With 5 people in my family - all having a variety of tastes and pickiness - I often use them as taste testers! This was a huge hit. No complaints, and they all ate it. 🙂
Gluten Free, Keto, and Low Carb
"Chicken pot pie is back on the table again! YES! Anyone else but me missing pot pie while on a low carb diet?" 🙂
With only 8.2 grams of net carbs, 31.3 grams of healthy fat, and 22.6 grams of protein this recipe should fit nicely into your daily fat, carb, and protein requirements.
You can find the full nutritional analysis at the bottom of the recipe card, but here are the most important numbers if you are following a low carb and ketogenic diet:
31.3 g fat | 8.2 g net carbs | 22.6 g protein
How to Serve
Keto chicken pot pie casserole is really an entire meal on its own. If you are looking for a side dish I would stick with a salad or some simple steamed vegetables. Here are some great salad ideas:
- Overnight Layered Salad
- Crockpot Green Beans with Ham
- Fresh green salad with a favorite dressing such as Blue Cheese Dressing or Thousand Island Dressing
- Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
Here are the ingredients and tools you will need to make this delicious keto chicken pot pie casserole! 🙂
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Cream Cheese
- Grated Cheese - I used part mozzarella and part cheddar
- Gluten Free Baking Powder
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- Chicken - cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Olive oil
- Butter - cut into smaller pieces
- Onion - diced
- Mushrooms - sliced
- Carrots - peeled and thinly sliced
- Celery - diced
- Heavy cream
- Chicken broth
- Xanthan gum
- Green beans - drained and roughly chopped (you can also use thawed frozen green beans)
- Parsley - I like to use fresh parsley if possible
- Thyme - use fresh if possible
- Kosher salt
- 12" cast iron skillet
- food processor with blade attachment
- Measuring spoons
- Small Mixing bowl
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Rolling pin
- Plastic wrap
- Parchment paper
Here are some different ways you can make substitutions or customize your keto chicken pot pie:
- Substitute chicken thighs for the breasts.
- Use diced pre-cooked chicken. A 22 oz frozen bag of diced chicken is approximately the 4 cups needed for this recipe.
- Substitute turkey for the chicken and make a Turkey Pot Pie (Thanksgiving leftovers, anyone?)
- Experiment with different herbs, or use a mix of herbs. It's fun to experiment! Rosemary, marjoram, basil, Italian seasoning, herbs de Provence, etc.
- Adjust vegetables according to your tastes if there is something you don't like - just keep the same quantity. If you want to lower carrots, increase green beans or other vegetables.
- Substitute zucchini or yellow squash in place of mushrooms.
Make Pie Crust Dough
Add egg and pulse just until egg is mixed in.
Remove dough and place on plastic wrap. Press into a disc shape about 6" round. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Note: dough will be soft at first, but once it goes into the refrigerator to chill it will harden.
Make The Filling
Time-Saver Tip: Use pre-cooked chicken!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a 12" cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until done. Remove chicken from pan, cover, and set aside.
Melt butter and add onions, mushrooms, carrots, and celery. Saute until tender.
Slowly stir in the heavy cream then chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat. Continue to simmer uncovered, stirring frequently until liquid evaporates and you have approximately 3 to 3 1/2 cups of gravy. Dissolve xanthan gum with 1 tsp olive oil. Stir into gravy mixture.
Add chicken, carrots, green beans, parsley, thyme, kosher salt, and pepper. Stir until combined.
Assemble The Casserole
Remove dough from plastic wrap and place dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll dough into a circle, until it is slightly larger than the top of your skillet.
Remove one side of parchment paper and lay the crust on top of the filling. Press in any overhanging crust then for decoration purposes use a fork and press into edges. With a sharp knife slice an x in the middle of the crust.
Bake casserole 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- The key to the perfect amount of gravy is simmering and reducing the liquid until you are left with approximately 3 cups liquid and vegetables.
- The dough will be soft when you first make it. Once it is wrapped in plastic and refrigerated it will harden enough for you to roll it out between the sheets of parchment.
- Don't have parchment paper? Roll out the dough and use a biscuit cutter (or a glass) and lay the smaller pieces on top.
- This is more of a rustic dish so your crust does not have to be perfect - no need for Pinterest perfection here! Remember, almond flour pie crust can be a bit crumbly. If it starts to pull apart when you're trying to pull it off the parchment paper don't worry. Just place pieces on top of the pot pie and pretend its a puzzle 🙂
- Always use freshly grated cheese! Pre-grated cheese from the store is coated with an ingredient to keep it from sticking - unfortunately, it also prevents it from melting, which is what you do want.
- If you don't have a cast-iron skillet, you can cook everything in a skillet then transfer it to a deep-dish pie plate or casserole dish.
Can I make this chicken pot pie ahead of time?
Yes! Feel free to make your filling and your crust in advance and bake later.
Can I use pre-cooked chicken?
Absolutely! Using pre-cooked chicken is a HUGE time saver. I buy bags of frozen diced chicken a lot, or I use my pressure cooker to cook chicken fast.
How to cook chicken breast in a pressure cooker: cook the chicken on HIGH pressure for 8 to 10 minutes and quick release the pressure when done. Super simple!
Are carrots keto-friendly?
Yes, carrots are keto-friendly in moderation. You will hear people debating whether or not to eat carrots while on a keto diet, however. The simple answer is that it depends on how many carrots you use in a recipe that will determine how many carbs are added to the recipe.
How many carbs are in carrots?
One medium carrot has approximately 6 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber. Therefore, 1 medium-sized carrot has 5 net carbs. This recipe calls for 3/4 cup sliced carrots which were about 2 medium-sized carrots.
Are onions keto-friendly?
Onions can be consumed on the keto diet but in moderation. Like carrots, people will debate whether you can eat onions on a keto diet. My answer is that fresh vegetables add valuable nutrients. The amount of onions you use will affect the overall carb content in a recipe.
How many carbs are in onions?
One medium-sized onion has approximately 6 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber for a total of 5 net carbs. This keto chicken pot pie calls for 1 small onion diced which is about 1/2 cup diced onions.
How can I reduce the carbs in this recipe?
Half the quantity of fresh onion and sub onion powder for the other half.
You can reduce the carbs in this recipe, without sacrificing flavor by reducing the amount of onion and substituting an equivalent of onion powder.
Don't eliminate the fresh onion altogether as it adds great flavor. Try 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder and 1/4 cup of diced onion.
1 tablespoon of onion powder = 1 medium sized onion. 5 grams net carbs for 1 medum sized onion. There are 6 grams of carbs in a medium sized onion and 1 gram of fiber. An onion has 5 net carbs.
Reduce the amount of carrots.
You can also reduce the number of carbs slightly by using fewer carrots. Keep in mind that halving the carrots in this recipe will only save .5 grams of net carbs for each serving. In my book, it's not worth the sacrifice of flavor.
I would not recommend removing the carrots altogether because you lose flavor and nutrients.
If you don't like carrots then you can substitute more green beans.
I don't have a cast-iron skillet can I use a casserole dish?
It's okay, you can use 1 pan to make your filling then transfer it to a casserole dish of approximately 12" in size (a large deep dish pie plate works great) then top with your crust then bake.
Can I substitute canned cream of chicken soup?
You can use cream of chicken soup but it will have slightly higher carbs per servings and you would need to eliminate or adjust the amount of salt in the recipe. I would use 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and only 1 cup of cream. I would eliminate the chicken broth completely.
Can I freeze chicken pot pie casserole?
Yes! This casserole can be frozen, but it is best to freeze before baking and in needs to be in a freezer-safe casserole dish wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and foil. Do not put a cast iron skillet in the freezer.
Remove frozen casserole from freezer and thaw in your refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. Bake until casserole is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
If the crust is browning too fast, cover loosely with foil to prevent further browning.
More Casserole Recipes
All of the healthy casserole recipes below are low carb, gluten free, sugar free, and ketogenic. Enjoy! 🙂
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Reuben Bake With Meatballs (Keto Reuben Casserole)
- Zucchini Ground Beef Taco Casserole
- Low Carb Tuna Casserole (Keto Seafood Casserole)
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole | by Joy Filled Eats
⭐ Let's Connect
If you tried Keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Keto chicken pot pie casserole is scrumptious. Total cozy comfort food with tender chicken, mushrooms, and vegetables all in a tasty herb gravy with an almond flour crust topping. This one-pot casserole goes from stovetop to oven. The perfect Sunday supper or family dinner recipe. This healthy recipe is gluten-free, low carb, keto, and sugar free #chicken #chickenpotpie #casserole #onepotmeal #onepandinner #castiron #skilletrecipe #lowcarb #keto #almondflour #glutenfree #healthyrecipe