This is the BEST Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff! First, it's a quick and easy dinner to throw together! Let the crockpot do all the work, and you'll have a delicious creamy beef stroganoff with tender fall-apart beef and mushrooms in a rich, drool-worthy gravy ready to serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Your family is gonna LOVE it.
- Watch How To Make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- You Will Love Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Beef Stroganoff Crock Pot Ingredients
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Variations
- How To Make Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- How Long To Cook Beef Stroganoff in a Slow Cooker?
- How To Serve Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- How To Store Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Beef Stroganoff Crockpot Top Tips
- Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff FAQs
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
Watch How To Make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
You Will Love Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
It's Easy. Slow cooker beef stroganoff is the perfect dinner idea! All ingredients (except the dairy) are dumped into the crockpot and cooked all day. Come back later and add the dairy ingredients. Very little effort - but it tastes AMAZING.
Tasty. What makes this recipe so tasty? The creamy gravy. It's addicting, for sure. There is no denying that this dish is scrumptious. The sauce if my favorite part! 😉
Family Friendly. Slow cooker beef stroganoff has been one of my most requested recipes throughout the years. The family gets so excited when I make it!
Beef Stroganoff Crock Pot Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe:
- Beef Stew Meat - buying already cubed beef, will save you some time. If you can't find it, buy a chuck roast, bottom round, eye of round, or rump roast and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup - make this homemade version or use a store-bought variety. Substitute any condensed soup like onion or golden mushroom, etc.
- Dried Onion Soup Mix - french onion soup mix could also be used. Adjust salt pepper if needed.
- Fresh Mushrooms - use fresh sliced mushrooms or canned mushrooms that have been drained.
- Sour Cream - keto followers should use full fat, but fat free can also be used if you want to lower the fat.
- Cream Cheese - it is very important that it is very soft. Full-fat, reduced-fat, or fat-free can be used.
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Fresh Herbs - adding fresh parsley or thyme lends some freshness - as well as color.
- Optional Thickeners: A cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of cornstarch whisked together with 1 tablespoon of cold water) may also be used. Xanthan gum is a low carb alternative thickener. Dissolve half a teaspoon in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and add to the stroganoff.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Variations
- Make this recipe spicy by adding chili pepper flakes or a little hot sauce.
- Add fresh herbs such as parsley or thyme.
- Add onion and garlic. Chop and add with the beef.
- Season with a little garlic powder or even paprika.
- Use cube steaks as a substitute for the stew meat. Reduce slow cooker time slightly. Do not cut the cube steaks.
- Add a little Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard to give it some tang.
- Make chicken stroganoff by substituting boneless chicken breasts or thighs and using cream of chicken soup. Reduce the cooking time.
- Use canned, drained mushrooms instead of fresh.
- For even more flavor, sear the beef cubes in a skillet before adding to the slow cooker beef stroganoff. It's delicious, but it is time-consuming and not necessary.
How To Make Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
1. Spray crockpot with nonstick spray. Add beef stew meat, soup, onion soup mix, and sliced mushrooms. Stir until combined.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 6 hours.
3. About 30 minutes before serving, add cream cheese that has been brought to room temperature and cut into cubes. Allow it to melt, stirring occasionally. Add sour cream, then salt and pepper to taste.
How Long To Cook Beef Stroganoff in a Slow Cooker?
Cook beef stroganoff in a slow cooker until the meat is very tender using the following guidelines:
- Low: 6 to 8 hours
- High: 4 to 6 hours
How To Serve Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Serve slow cooker beef stroganoff over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. If you are following a low-carb or keto plan, serve over riced cauliflower or mashed cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley or thyme. That's it! Super simple.
- Meal idea! serve this crock pot beef stroganoff with steamed or air fried broccoli.
How To Store Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
Store leftover slow cooker beef stroganoff in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Due to the high dairy content it is not recommended that this recipe be frozen.
Beef Stroganoff Crockpot Top Tips
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and let the sour cream come to room temperature before adding it to the slow cooker beef stroganoff.
- You can substitute different kinds of cream soups to change the taste. The BEST tasting and lowest in carbs is to make your own keto condensed mushroom soup. It's not difficult, you can make a bunch at a time and save some for future in the freezer!
- If the stroganoff is too runny, keep the lid off the slow cooker after adding cheese and sour cream to allow moisture to evaporate. You can also dissolve ½ tsp of xanthan gum in 1 tsp olive oil as a low-carb thickener. Add mixture to the crockpot juices and mix. Allow to sit until thickened.
Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff FAQs
You can lower the fat in this slow cooker beef stroganoff by substituting fat-free or low-fat dairy and cream of mushroom soup.
Keep in mind that using lower fat ingredients may cause your keto beef stroganoff to be runnier.
Beef stew meat or a beef chuck roast is my favorite cut of beef for slow cooker beef stroganoff. Bottom round, eye round, rump roast, and top round are also good choices.
Your slow cooker beef stroganoff is done when the meat is tender and breaks apart easily with a fork.
A package of onion soup mix only has 4 g of carbs with less than 1 g of net carbs. A serving size in one package is 8. That is only 0.5g of carbs per serving.
This keto beef stroganoff recipe serves 10, of the total carbs in this recipe coming from the onion soup mix are only 0.4g. I consider that a low-carb onion soup mix!
Yes, you have two options. One, you can add everything to the crockpot except the dairy (which is added after cooking), cover it, and then store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Or, you can cook it all, store it in the fridge, and reheat it when you want to serve it.
Yes! To make Instant Pot beef stroganoff: add 1 cup beef broth to the bottom of the pot, then add the beef, the dried onion soup mix, and mushrooms, then top with the canned soup. Pressure cook for 10 to 15 minutes, and then use the quick release once it's finished. Add the dairy ingredients. Stir until it is melted. If it is too runny, thicken with a little cornstarch or xanthan gum. See recipe card notes.
Another option, if you have the time at the start, you can season the meat with a little salt and pepper at the beginning and brown the meat before layering in the other ingredients. It adds great flavor, but if you're in a hurry I'd skip that step.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 2½ pounds beef stew meat
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 recipe or packet onion soup mix (our homemade recipe is easy!)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (or, 8 oz canned mushrooms, drained)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- salt and black pepper to taste
- optional garnish: fresh parsley or thyme
- optional thickener: ½ teaspoon or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Spray crockpot with nonstick spray. Add beef stew meat, cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and sliced mushrooms. Stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add very soft cream cheese and stir to melt until incorporated. Add sour cream and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over riced cauliflower (keto and low carb option), egg noodles, or rice. Sprinkle with parsley or thyme.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- TO THICKEN THE SAUCE before serving: Xanthan Gum (low carb option): dissolve 1/2 tsp xanthan gum with 1 tsp olive oil then add to sauce at the end. Stir in and allow to thicken before serving. Cornstarch: 1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in a ladle full of the stroganoff sauce. Leave the lid off of the crock pot and continue to cook on low until the sauce thickens.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve over rice or egg noodles, with a fresh side salad or steamed broccoli or beans. Low carb keto followers serve over riced cauliflower or zoodles.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
Here are a few more low carb and keto crock pot meals using beef:
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Texas Style No Bean Chili Recipe Slow Cooker
- Best Crockpot Corned Beef
- Crock Pot Cube Steak - couldn't be any easier in your slow cooker!
- Crockpot Birria De Res - the best slow cooker beef stew!
Not a slow cooker recipe but could be adapted: