This Grilled Pork Steak recipe is delicious! Marinated in an easy-to-make honey citrus and garlic brine - you'll have flavorful and perfectly grilled pork steaks in no time!
Watch Grilled Pork Steak Video
Why You'll Love Pork Steaks on the Grill
"If you're searching for grilled pork steak recipes - look no further! You'll love this simple recipe with great flavor, and brining pork is one of the best ways to tenderize it!
Super tender. These pork steaks are cooked to perfection on the grill! Brining then grilling them over a high heat sears in the juices!
Flavorful! Marinating in a brine with classic honey, lemon, garlic, and red pepper flakes will add a sultry sweetness to each tender bite. Grilling pork steaks that have been marinated in a brined is so flavorful.
They're healthy! This recipe is low carb, gluten-free, and paleo. For keto omit the honey and use a sugar free sweetener alternative such as allulose brown or white sugar.
Pork Steak Marinade Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this grilled pork recipe:
- Honey - if following a sugar free or keto diet use a brown sugar substitute.
- Lemon juice - freshly squeezed lemon juice has the best flavor.
- Fresh Garlic - you can mince fresh garlic cloves, or buy the "jarlic" as it will save you a little time.
- Red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Pork butt steaks or pork shoulder steaks - approximately half-inch thick, bone-in. You can also use a standard bone-in pork chop too.
- Olive oil
- Optional for serving - BBQ sauce
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How to Cook Pork Steak on the Grill
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this grilled pork steak recipe:
1. Make the brine by mixing water, honey, juice, garlic, and four teaspoons of kosher salt in a small bowl.
2. Place your pork steaks in a large plastic bag or a baking dish, and pour the marinade over the top—seal and refrigerate for at least one hour.
3. Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to 450 degrees F.
4. Remove the chops from the marinade and then brush with the olive oil and sprinkle with the pepper and the remaining half teaspoon of salt.
5. Grill pork steaks about 4 minutes per side, or until they reach an internal temperature of 140 degrees F.
6. Remove the grilled pork steaks from the heat. Cover with foil and let rest for to 8 minutes.
How long to cook Pork Steaks on Grill
Cook ½” thick pork steaks on grill for 3 to 4 minutes each side, or until the steaks reach 140 degrees F. Remove from the grill, tent with foil and let rest for 5 to 8 minutes.
What to Serve with Pork Steaks
Here are a few ways to serve grilled this grilled pork steak recipe:
- Mango Peach Salsa or Roasted Chili Corn Salsa
- Slather your bbq pork steak with any favorite barbecue sauce. Fruity sauce pair really well with pork - peach bbq sauce, blueberry bbq sauce, and so on!
- Try this Pork Rub if you like a little extra seasoning. Sprinkle it on before or after grilling.
- Serve with your favorite grilled vegetables, side salad, pasta salad, mashed potatoes, or potato salad.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Add some sweetness to the marinade by adding a half cup of apple juice and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Try this marinade with a beef steak or chicken breast.
- Apple cider vinegar can be used in place of lemon juice.
- Play around with seasonings to add to your brine. Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and additional herbs may be used.
- Can't find pork butt steaks? As long as your pork chops are all about a half-inch thick, they will cook the same! Other cuts that you may find are pork shoulder steaks, pork chops, or Boston butt.
- Add some extra spice to your marinade by adding more red pepper flakes, fresh-cut jalapeno, or chipotle powder.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 🙂
Pork Steak Recipe Top Tips
- Allow the grilled pork steaks to come to room temperature before grilling.
- Don't skip greasing your grill grates. This will help you get grill marks and prevent your steaks from sticking.
- Tenting your bbq pork steak with foil at the end and pulling them at 140 degrees allows them to continue to rise to a safe internal temperature of 145 degrees and seal in all the delicious juices.
- Marinade your pork steaks for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 24 hours ahead of time. The longer you marinate, the more flavor absorbs.
Grilled Pork Steak FAQs
This will depend on your steak thickness. If you have a half-inch thick pork steak, it will be about 4 minutes on each side. Double the time for one-inch thick steaks. The internal temperature should be 145 degrees F.
Pork is done when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. You can remove your steaks from the grill at 140 degrees F and cover with foil to continue cooking and allowing the steaks to reabsorb their natural juices for a delicious bite!
According to new USDA standards, you can consume pork when there is a bit of pink left on the inside. You may see a tiny bit of pink left, but it is safe to eat. An internal temperature of 145 degrees F is fully cooked pork.
Store your leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat your leftovers in the microwave until your desired temperature. You can also reheat in a skillet on the stovetop if you prefer.
You can freeze leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. When you thaw out and reheat, remember that freezing draws moisture out, so the pork steaks may be much drier when thawed and reheated.
According to the USDA optimal pork steak temp is 145 degrees F. We remove our steaks at 140, then cover in foil and let rest. The temperature will continue to rise while resting.
Grilled Pork Steaks
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4½ teaspoons kosher salt (save ½ teaspoon for grilling)
- 4 pork butt steaks (or pork shoulder steaks) (approx ½" thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl mix water, honey, lemon juice, garlic, and 4 teaspoons kosher salt. Stir until salt and honey are dissolved.
- Place pork steaks in a large plastic bag and pour marinade over the top. Seal and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to 450 degrees F.
- Remove the pork steaks from the marinade, then brush with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Oil the grill grates. Place pork steaks on the grates and grill, covered, about 4 minutes per side or until the pork reaches 140 degrees F.
- Remove the grilled pork steaks from the heat, tent with foil, and let them rest for 5 to 8 minutes before serving.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- TOP TIPS: Pull the pork chops when they reach 140 degrees and let them rest. As they rest the temperature will continue to increase to the safe cooking temperature of 145.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Delicious served with a Peach Barbecue Sauce or Mango Peach Salsa
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
More Grilling Recipes
Check out these grilling recipes! From steak to pork to shrimp and chicken - you got some tasty choices: