These Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs are super easy and result in the most tender chicken smothered in a tasty creamy tomato basil sauce that will have you licking your plate! Your whole family will love it. Let's make it!
🎥 Watch Video
You'll ❤️ These Italian Chicken Thighs
Super Easy! I'm alway searching for easy chicken recipe - and this is a super easy crock pot recipe. Pretty much just dump and go. Just come back later and add the cheeses and let them melt. Voila!
Family Favorite! There is a consensus in our house - these are absolutely delicious Italian slow cooker chicken thighs! I love it when I have a recipe that everyone loves. It immediately goes to the "family favorite file". There are 5 of us in the house, and 2 are super picky so if we have a consensus it feels like a miracle.
It's a low carb and keto slow cooker chicken recipe. With only 5.4 g of net carbs and 34.7g of fat, this Italian crock pot chicken recipe is perfect if you are following a keto diet.
(Note on canned cream of mushroom soup. 1 whole can of soup has 20 grams of net carbs, divided by 10 servings that is only 2 grams of net carbs per serving.)
🥘 What You Will Need
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs:
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - boneless chicken thighs have the best flavor, but chicken breasts can also be substituted but watch them carefully as they have a tendency to dry out.
Cream of Mushroom Soup - use canned cream of mushroom or my homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup recipe. You can also use cream of chicken soup.
Canned Diced Tomatoes with Garlic and Onion
Dried Italian Seasoning Blend - you can also use a combination of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
Cream Cheese - be sure this is softened so it melts faster.
Parmesan Cheese - I love freshly grated cheese in this recipe.
Optional - fresh basil for garnish
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make
Here's how to make slow cooker chicken thighs with creamy italian sauce:
Gather ingredients. Drain tomatoes. Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Add Ingredients to Crock
Add boneless chicken thighs, mushroom soup, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes, and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine.
Secure lid and cook chicken thighs on Low for 6 to 8 hours until the chicken reaches 165°F.
Remove lid 30 minutes prior to serving. Remove the cooked chicken thighs and set aside. Add cream cheese and parmesan. Stir until cheeses melt.
Add back in the chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve slow cooker chicken thighs:
Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese and fresh basil.
Delicious over pasta, zucchini noodles, or riced cauliflower.
Serve with mashed potatoes, brown rice, and a side of green beans or steamed broccoli.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Adjust any salt and pepper, and any of the herbs to taste. Use soy sauce in place of the salt if desired.
- To add a little citrusy tang squeeze a little lemon juice.
- Add onion powder or garlic powder if desired.
- Use fresh herbs instead of dried, in any combination.
- Give it some spice by adding some red pepper flakes.
- Make it cajun chicken thighs! Use cajun seasoning instead of Italian seasoning (reduce the salt as cajun seasoning is salted) and use diced tomatoes with green pepper, onion, and celery.
💭 Top Tips
- Soften the cream cheese in the microwave until it's very soft.
- Optional, but you can pull the chicken thighs out before melting the cheese and thickening the sauce so the chicken doesn't break apart.
- If the sauce is too runny, remove the lid from the slow cooker about 30 minutes before serving to allow the liquid to evaporate. Alternatively, you can thicken with 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum that has been dissolved in a little olive oil. Or, whisk in 1 tablespoon corn starch.
Chicken should be cooked to 165° F. An instant-read thermometer is the easiest way to determine the temperature of your chicken.
Tip: Certain slow cookers have a programmable thermometer so you can set it to the desired temperature and it will switch to warm once that temperature is reached. Super handy!
Yes. You can substitute chicken breasts for thighs. Chicken breasts dry out quicker than thighs, so be careful not to overcook.
to 4 days. If you need to keep longer, you can freeze this recipe for Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs.
2 to 3 days. According to the USDA, chicken should be kept no longer than two days in the fridge. For more information read Refrigeration and Food Safety from the USDA.
✔️ More Slow Cooker Chicken Thigh Recipes
Here are a few more crock pot chicken recipes I think you'll enjoy! All are quick and easy recipes...my favorite kind!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprika
- Easy Crockpot Chicken with Creamy Cajun Sauce
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
- Crockpot Cashew Chicken
- Crockpot Balsamic Chicken
Italian Style Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- 3 to 4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion drained
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes slivered and diced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup or 1 recipe of [Keto Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup]
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add chicken thighs, cream of mushroom soup, diced tomatos, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Stir until blended. Turn crock pot on Low and cook 6 to 8 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to serving, remove lid. Add parmesan and cream cheese. Allow cheeses to melt, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles, or riced cauliflower. Garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™
These crockpot chicken thighs are the easiest! Creamy Italian style slow Cooker chicken thighs are both a low carb and keto recipe. Only a few simple ingredients result in a delicious chicken with creamy tomato basil sauce dinner. A super easy low carb and easy keto slow cooker recipe! The perfect weeknight dinner that is family-friendly! #chicken #crockpot #slowcooker #keto #lowcarb #healthyrecipes #ketorecipes #italian