Italian Style Crock Pot Chicken Thighs are a super easy recipe with only a few simple ingredients. These slow cooker chicken thighs are smothered in a tasty creamy tomato basil sauce that will have you licking your plate.
Amazing served over pasta, zucchini noodles, or riced cauliflower. Low carb and keto-friendly, this recipe will be loved by all!
🎥 Watch Video
You'll ❤️ Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
This crock pot chicken thigh recipe is easy, your family will love it, it makes leftovers, and it's keto and low carb. Perfect!
It's An Easy Slow Cooker Recipe
This is a super easy slow cooker recipe. Pretty much just dump and go. There are a few simple ingredients, all require minimal prep. While I typically grate my own cheeses, in this recipe feel free to buy pre-grated. That way all you'll need to do is dump the ingredients in the pot. Simple! Love it.
Perfect Family Friendly Recipe
There is a consensus in our house - everyone LOVES this recipe! I love it when I have a recipe that everyone loves. It immediately goes to the "family favorite pile". There are 5 of us in the house, and 2 are super picky so if we have a consensus it feels like a miracle.
A Great Make-Ahead Chicken Recipe
This recipe makes around 10 servings. For a typical family that means leftovers!
I love to meal prep and put the chicken into individual dishes with sauce and veggies. This way I'll have great make-ahead lunches ready to go!
Low Carb and Keto Slow Cooker Chicken
I have found that chicken breasts can easily become dry in a crockpot so I often use boneless skinless chicken thighs. Slow cooker chicken thighs are moister and add fat which is perfect if you're following a keto diet.
Thighs are more forgiving if you have to keep the chicken cooking longer than the cooking time! 🙂
If you wish to increase the fat, add additional cheese like mozzarella, or even a couple of tablespoons of butter.
Note on canned cream of mushroom soup. 1 whole can of soup has 20 grams of net carbs, divided by 10 servings that is only 2 grams of net carbs per serving. You can also make our homemade keto condensed cream of mushroom soup which is super delicious!
If you wish to decrease the fat you can use low-fat cream cheese, use a low-fat cream of mushroom soup, and reduce the quantity of cheese.
The nutritional analysis is below in the recipe, but here is a summary. With only 5.4 g of net carbs and 34.7g of fat, this Italian slow cooker chicken recipe is keto-friendly.
net carbs 5.4 g | protein 36.9 g | fat 34.7 g
Ingredients and Tools
Here's what you'll need to make Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs:
Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact recipe quantities and instructions.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Seeking Good Eats condensed cream of mushroom soup or canned condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, drained
- Sundried tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- Cream cheese, bring to room temperature prior to adding to the crockpot (or soften in your microwave)
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Pasta, zucchini noodles, riced cauliflower (to serve chicken and sauce over)
Here's how to make crock pot chicken thighs with creamy italian sauce:
Gather ingredients. Drain tomatoes. Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Add chicken thighs, mushroom soup, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine. Secure lid and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours until the chicken reaches 165°F.
Remove lid 30 minutes prior to serving. Remove chicken and set aside. Add cream cheese and parmesan. Stir until cheeses melt.
Add back in the chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles, or riced cauliflower. Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese and fresh basil.
- Soften the cream cheese in the microwave until it's very soft.
- I pull the chicken out temporarily so that while I'm stirring to melt the cheese, and thickening the sauce, the chicken doesn't break apart. This is optional of course.
- If the sauce is too runny, remove the lid from the crockpot about 3o minutes before serving to allow the liquid to evaporate. Or, you can thicken with 1/2 tsp xanthan gum mixed with 1 tsp olive oil. Stir into the crockpot and allow to thicken the sauce.
What temperature should chicken be cooked at?
Chicken should be cooked to 165° F. An instant-read thermometer is the easiest way to determine the temperature of your chicken.
The crockpot I use (here) has a programmable thermometer so I can set it to turn to warm when the chicken reaches 165° F. This is handy and keeps my ingredients from getting overcooked.
Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs?
Yes. You can substitute chicken breasts for thighs. Chicken breasts dry out quicker than thighs, so be careful not to overcook.
How long can I keep cooked chicken in the fridge?
3 to 4 days. If you need to keep longer, you can freeze this recipe for Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs.
How long can you keep raw chicken in the fridge?
2 to 3 days. According to the USDA, chicken should be kept no longer than two days in the fridge.
Here's a handy guide from the USDA, Refrigeration and Food Safety
More Crock Pot Chicken Thigh Recipes
Here are a few more crock pot chicken thigh recipes I think you'll enjoy! All are quick and easy recipes...my favorite kind!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprika
- Keto Chicken Chili (Slow Cooker)
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Slow Cooker + Instant Pot)
- Easy Crockpot Chicken with Creamy Cajun Sauce
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
- Crockpot Cashew Chicken
- Crockpot Balsamic Chicken
- Chicken Fajita Soup (Crockpot + Instant Pot)
Italian Style Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- 3 to 4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion drained
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes slivered and diced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup or 1 recipe of [Keto Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup]
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add chicken thighs, cream of mushroom soup, diced tomatos, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Stir until blended. Turn crock pot on Low and cook 6 to 8 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to serving, remove lid. Add parmesan and cream cheese. Allow cheeses to melt, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles, or riced cauliflower. Garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™
⭐ Let's Connect
If you tried Italian Style Crock Pot Chicken Thighs, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
These crockpot chicken thighs are the easiest! Creamy Italian style slow Cooker chicken thighs are both a low carb and keto recipe. Only a few simple ingredients result in a delicious chicken with creamy tomato basil sauce dinner. A super easy low carb and easy keto slow cooker recipe! The perfect weeknight dinner that is family-friendly! #chicken #crockpot #slowcooker #keto #lowcarb #healthyrecipes #ketorecipes #italian