Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is so GOOD and it's the perfect one-pot skillet dinner. Loaded with all your favorite cordon bleu ingredients plus delicious vegetables for freshness! This recipe is low carb, keto, and gluten-free.
You'll Love This Healthy Chicken Casserole!
A One Pot Casserole Meal!!
I love that this is a one pot casserole made in your skillet. From stovetop to oven this is super easy.
Make Ahead Casserole
Feel free to prep this casserole ahead of time. Follow the recipe instructions but don’t bake it. When you are ready for dinner pull it out of the refrigerator about 20 to 30 minutes before baking. You’ll need to increase the baking time slightly if the casserole is still chilled.
Alternatively you can bake the casserole and store in your refrigerator. Reheat the full casserole or individual portions until the casserole reaches 165 degrees.
Low Carb and Keto Casserole Recipe
Cordon bleu casserole is a healthy recipe with only 3.9 grams of carbs.
The healthy fats in this recipe come from the chicken and ham, the cheeses, and olive oil. There are 22.6 grams of fat in this recipe.
The full nutritional analysis of this recipe is included in the recipe card, but the most important for keto followers is:
What To Serve With Chicken Cordon Bleu
This cordon bleu casserole recipe is really a meal in one but here are some additional ideas of what you can serve as a side dish:
- A fresh green salad. Try our layered salad! It's a make-ahead salad that is perfect for get-togethers, but you can also make it for dinner one night then eat leftovers for the next few lunches!
- Roasted or steamed vegetables like brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans.
- With riced cauliflower or riced broccoli.
- If you’ve got carb lovers in your house, this casserole is great with rolls or breadsticks.
Here's What You'll Need to Make This Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep this content free. Read our full disclosure for more information.
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced (up to 1 cup onion)
4 cups baby spinach
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2" pieces (approx. 2 cups)
4 cups chopped pre-cooked chicken (we used 22 oz frozen roasted diced chicken, thawed)
2 cups cooked ham, diced (we used 1/2 a ham steak)
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon dijon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon herbs de provence, dried
1 1/2 cups swiss cheese, shredded (reserve 1/2 cup for the top)
1/4 tsp salt and pepper each to taste
How To Make Healthy Cordon Bleu Casserole
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In an oven-proof skillet, saute onions and zucchini in olive oil until soft. Add spinach and toss until wilted.
Reduce heat to low. Add diced cooked chicken and ham and toss until warm. Turn off heat.
In a small bowl mix sour cream, cream cheese, dijon, lemon juice, thyme, salt, and pepper until blended. Pour over the top of the casserole and mix.
Add 1 cup of the shredded swiss cheese and stir into casserole. Do a quick taste test and add salt and pepper if needed.
Top casserole with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Finally, bake the casserole 18 to 20 minutes until the casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Because of the variance of salt content amongst pre-cooked chicken and ham, you may not need to add salt or pepper. Do a taste test before you top the casserole with cheese. Adjust salt to your taste, starting with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Add more if needed.
- Always use freshly grated cheese! Pre-grated cheese in packages is coated with cellulose (a wood pulp) that absorbs moisture and prevents sticking of the cheese. Unfortunately, this also keeps the cheese from melting properly. Don’t you want the cheese to melt?
- Feel free to substitute other vegetables. Keep the onions for flavor, but substitute squash, green beans, broccoli, or cauliflower if you have it. You can substitute kale for spinach but it will need to cook a little longer to be tender.
- You can use raw chicken thighs or chicken breast if you don't have pre-cooked chicken. Saute the chicken in the skillet with the onions until it is done. From there continue on with the recipe instructions by adding zucchini then spinach, and so on. So good!
How long will healthy chicken cordon bleu keep in the refrigerator?
Cordon bleu casserole will keep 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. It makes amazing lunch leftovers!
What temperature should chicken be cooked to?
The safe minimum cooking temperature of poultry is 165 degrees. Check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer at its center.
What temperature should pre-cooked ham be cooked to?
The USDA recommends that pre-cooked ham be cooked to 165 degrees.
Can I freeze this casserole?
Yes! You can freeze cordon bleu casserole. Transfer to a airtight freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw in your refrigerator and reheat individual portions to 165 degrees.
Is cordon bleu keto-friendly?
Cordon bleu casserole is keto friendly with only 3.9 net carbs and 22 grams of fat coming mainly from the chicken, ham, cheeses, and olive oil .
How can I lower the fat in this recipe?
If you would like to lower the fat in this cordon bleu casserole without compromising flavor, you can use fat-free cream cheese, fat-free sour cream, use chicken breast instead of thighs, and try a lower fat diced ham.
More Low Carb Keto Casserole Recipes
Here are some more easy and delicious casserole recipes you can try! All our low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto recipes. Enjoy!
- Zucchini Ground Beef Taco Casserole
- Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Reuben Bake With Meatballs (Keto Reuben Casserole)
- Chicken Fajitas Bake (Low Carb and Keto)
- Low Carb Tuna Casserole (Keto Seafood Casserole)
We'd Love To Hear From You!
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
REVIEW OUR RECIPE
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don't forget to review our dish!
SHARE YOUR PHOTOS
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!
Try this healthy chicken cordon bleu casserole and you’ll be addicted. Your favorite cordon blue ingredients in a casserole recipe only much easier to make, plus fresh veggies are added! A one-pot skillet dinner from stovetop to oven. Using pre-cooked chicken and ham makes this an easy to make weeknight dinner. #cordonblue #casserole #lowcarb #keto #skillet #healthyrecipe #chicken #ham #swiss #onepot #dinnerrecipes #weeknight meal