These Baked Chicken Tacos are sure to be a hit for taco Tuesday! Flavorful tacos loaded with flavor, crunch, and melted cheese. Yes, please! Ground chicken, homemade chicken taco seasoning, and all your favorite taco toppings make up this delicious, easy weeknight dinner.
🎥 Recipe Video
Why You'll ❤️ This Chicken Taco Recipe
"Baked chicken tacos are one of my family's favorite recipes! They are easy, cheesy, and baked in the oven until golden and crispy. Add all your favorite toppings for the ultimate chicken taco!"
I love making my own seasoning blends because I know what is in them; nothing is artificial, and I can adjust the spice level for our family to exactly what we want. Feel free to substitute with store-bought taco seasoning if you prefer.
These chicken tacos are baked in the oven instead of fried in oil on the stovetop. They are just as delicious as the original and can save you a lot of fat from frying in oil. You could also air fry them if you'd like to try that!
This recipe is low-carb, gluten-free, and high in protein! Taco recipes are great because you can adjust them in any way you need to fit your dietary needs. For example, use low carb flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas to reduce carbs. Use my homemade taco seasoning recipe which is low carb, keto, gluten free, and sugar free.
🥘 What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these easy Chicken Tacos:
Ground Chicken - you could substitute shredded chicken breasts if you prefer!
Onion - white, yellow, or red onions can be used.
Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix - my homemade mix is quick, easy, and healthy! You can also use a store-bought taco seasoning packet.
Canned Diced Tomatoes - you can use fresh tomatoes if you'd like to.
Canned Sliced Black Olives - omit these if you'd prefer.
Stand and Stuff Taco Shells - or any variety of taco shells you like. Stand and stuff style shells are great because they are easy to line up and fill with your mixture.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese - grate your own or buy pre-shredded for convenience. You could also try a Mexican cheese blend or even pepper jack if you love spice.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make It
Here's how to make this recipe for baked chicken tacos:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13x9 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Place taco shells standing up in the baking dish.
Make Taco Meat
Preheat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add ground chicken and the onion. Cook until the chicken is done and the onion is tender about 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove any excess grease and liquids.
When the chicken is cooked, add taco seasoning mix, drained diced tomatoes, and olives to the skillet. Stir to combine with the chicken. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Bake The Shells
While the taco meat is cooking, place the shells in the oven to bake for 5 minutes to warm up and crisp.
Assemble The Tacos
Remove the shells from the oven and fill each one with the chicken taco meat mixture, dividing evenly between each of the shells.
Top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake The Tacos
Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the shells turn golden brown.
Remove from the oven and garnish with your favorite taco toppings. Season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve these baked chicken tacos:
Top with your favorite taco toppings such as shredded lettuce, sliced green onion, fresh diced tomato, avocado slices, fresh lime, sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, or even fresh cilantro!
Serve alongside your favorite Mexican or Spanish rice. My favorite is cilantro lime rice. You could substitute rice with cauliflower rice to reduce the carbs!
Make this Chipotle Crema sauce to add a delicious zesty touch to your tacos.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Substitute the ground chicken with ground beef or ground turkey. You could also use shredded chicken breast, chicken thighs, or pork.
- Add refried beans to the taco mixture if desired.
- If you prefer soft taco shells, you can use them! Put some meat mixture in the middle and some shredded cheese. Roll them up and place them in a greased casserole dish. Top with some more cheese and bake for about 20 minutes in the oven until the tacos are heated, and the cheese is melted.
- Add additional spice to your taco mixture, such as freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, chili powder, or cayenne. You could also just add your favorite hot sauce as well!
💭 Top Tips
- Thoroughly drain the canned tomatoes to prevent soggy bottom tacos.
- Buy the taco shells that stand up, they are easier to fill and bake.
- Adjust any seasoning to your taste preferences.
How To Store
Store your chicken taco filling separately from your tortillas in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
How To Reheat
Reheat in the oven or an air fryer at 375 degrees F until warmed through for best results.
How To Freeze
Prepared and baked chicken tacos do not freeze well. You can cook and freeze the filling separately, however. Assemble the tacos when you are ready to bake.
In this chicken tacos recipe, we use ground chicken, but many recipes use boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs seasoned, cooked, and shredded. Hard or soft corn tortilla shells or soft flour tortillas are used, stuffed with various taco toppings such as cheese, tomato, onion, salsa, etc.
✔️ More Mexican Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious Mexican-inspired recipes, check these out:
- Chicken Tinga Tostadas
- Birria Tacos with Consommé
- Keto Shrimp Tacos
- 7 Can Taco Soup Recipe with Chicken
- Instant Pot Taco Soup (Keto + Low Carb)
- Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix
Baked Chicken Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken (shredded)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 recipe chicken taco seasoning mix (or (1) 1.25 oz package taco seasoning mix)
- 1 16 ounce can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 4 ounce can sliced black olives (drained)
- 8 stand and stuff taco shells
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Place taco shells standing up in the baking dish.
- Preheat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add ground chicken and onion. Cook until chicken is done and onion is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove any excess grease and liquids.
- Add taco seasoning mix, drained diced tomatoes, and olives to the skillet. Stir to combine with the chicken. Continue to cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While the taco meat is cooking, place the shells in the oven and bake for 5 minutes to warm and crisp.
- Remove the shells from the oven and fill each one with the chicken taco meat mixture, dividing evenly between each of the shells. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the shells are turning golden brown.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use ground beef or turkey. Use any favorite cheese. Substitute soft taco shells and wrap the meat mixture with a little cheese, place in casserole dish, top with cheese and bake about 20 minutes or until tacos are heated through and cheese is melted.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Top with your favorite taco fillings such as shredded lettuce, sliced green onion, fresh diced tomato, avocado slices, sour cream, salsa, and fresh cilantro.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™