You'll love this chaffle taco recipe! First, the cheesy chaffle is used as tasty low carb keto taco shells. Then, the homemade taco beef is flavored perfectly with our healthy taco seasoning. Top it off with your favorite taco toppings, and you've got a family-friendly dinner recipe everyone in your house will love!
Why You'll ❤️ These Keto Taco Shells
"Delicious easy to make cheesy keto taco shells stuffed with flavorful taco meat and your favorite toppings - what's not to love?"
Less than 10 ingredients and 30 minutes are it takes to make this chaffle taco recipe. The chaffles and fixings can all be prepped ahead of time too!
Make the shells with 2 ingredients. Make the taco beef either with our recipe and seasoning or use a store packet and follow their instructions. Top with your favorite taco toppings, and you're done!
Chaffles make the perfect low carb and keto taco shells! Make them as crispy as you want, or keep them softer and foldable.
What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this chaffle taco dish:
- Ground Beef - 80/20 ground beef is preferable.
- Taco Seasoning Mix - use our gluten-free, low-carb, and keto-friendly mix or a packet from the store.
- Dried Chili Powder
- Shredded Cheese - use cheddar, jack, pepper jack, or even a combination of shredded cheese!
- Favorite Taco Toppings - sour cream, salsa, lettuce, tomato, olives, green onion, and avocado.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make It
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making a chaffle taco:
Make Taco Meat
Brown ground beef, add copycat taco seasoning mix, and water.
Cook until the water evaporates and the taco meat is to your desired thickness, about 10 minutes. Keep warm until ready to use.
(Note: if using a store-bought taco seasoning packet, follow their instructions for making taco meat.)
Make Keto Taco Shell
Preheat the waffle iron to the highest setting.
In a small bowl, add grated cheese and mix well.
Pour the mixture over the center of the hot waffle maker and close the lid.
Cook until the outside is to your desired crispiness.
Repeat for each taco shell. Keep warm in an oven or air fryer until ready to use.
Fill the cooked keto chaffles with the taco meat and then your favorite taco toppings.
How To Serve It
Here are a few ways to serve a keto chaffle taco:
Top the chaffle taco shells with the ground beef taco meat then add cheese and any additional topping you want (shredded lettuce, onion, diced tomato, sliced olives, etc.)
Serve with extra salsa and sour cream on the side.
Top with homemade guacamole instead of avocado slices.
Meal idea! serve with a side salad topped with Avocado dressing.
Here are a few ways you can customize your chaffle taco:
- Make it spicy - add chili pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the keto chaffle batter.
- Substitute - use ground chicken or turkey in place of beef.
- Adjust any seasoning or flavor to taste. Play around with different herbs and seasoning.
- Make ahead tips: the meat can be made ahead of time and reheated in your microwave. The chaffle taco shells can be made ahead and crisped up in an air fryer or toaster.
- Cook the chaffles to your desired crispiness level and doneness.
- Adjust any seasoning to your taste preferences.
The meat, keto taco shells, and toppings need to be stored separately. Only assemble the number of tacos you plan on eating.
To store leftovers, let the meat and chaffle cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. See reheating and freezing instructions below.
Reheat the chaffle taco shells separately from the meat. Shells can be reheated in a toaster or an air fryer, or oven at 350 degrees F for a few minutes. The meat can be reheated in a microwave, covered, on low heat. Stir occasionally until heated through.
Freeze chaffles separately from the meat. Place the any leftover chaffle in a freezer-safe plastic bag and freeze. Transfer cooled meat to a container and freeze. Both the meat and the chaffles can freeze up to 3 months.
The chaffle taco toppings cannot be frozen.
Taco Chaffle Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- 1 recipe or packet taco seasoning mix
- ½ cup water (if using a store-bought packet use their specified amount of water)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups freshly grated cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, monterey jack, or pepper jack cheese are all fine)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, green onion, olives, tomato, lettuce, avocado slices, fresh cilantro.
Make Taco Meat
- Brown ground beef, add copy cat taco seasoning mix, and water. Cook until water evaporates and taco meat is to your desired thickness, about 10 minutes. Keep warm until ready to use. (Note: if using a store bought taco seasoning packet, follow their instructions for making taco meat.)
Make The Chaffle
- Preheat waffle iron to the highest setting.
- In a small bowl add grated cheese and mix well.
- Pour mixture over the center of the hot waffle maker and close lid.
- Cook until the outside is to your desired crispiness. Repeat for each taco shell. Keep warm in an oven or air fryer until ready to use.
Assemble The Tacos
- Fill the cooked keto chaffles with the taco meat and then your favorite taco toppings.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: use our Mexican ground beef recipe for added flavor. add cayenne pepper to the batter for extra spice. Use cheddar, jack, pepper jack, or mozzarella. Add chopped fresh cilantro or finely chopped chives to the batter. Use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Top with your favorite taco toppings.
- NOTE: if using a mini waffle iron this recipe will make 2 chaffles. If using a standard waffle iron, this will make one.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™
More Taco Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious taco recipes, check these out: