Lasagna Stuffed Peppers (Keto Stuffed Peppers), are an easy to make Italian recipe that everyone will love. Marinara sauce, sausage, herbs, and melted cheese come together in a perfect healthy serving that tastes delicious! This recipe is keto, low carb, and gluten-free!
🎥 Watch Video
You'll ❤️ Keto Stuffed Peppers
Quick and easy stuffed peppers stuffed with your favorite lasagna ingredients are the way to go! Just make your stuffing mixture and spoon into precooked peppers. Bake until hot and bubbly - this will be in and out of your oven in no time.
Make Ahead Recipe
Another perfect make-ahead stuffed pepper recipe. In fact, I make these all the time on the weekend and let them sit in the fridge ready for baking a few days later. Super convenient!
Upgrade the Classic Stuffed Peppers
This lasagna version is a great alternative to classic stuffed peppers!
The beauty of bell peppers is that they taste great and you can stuff them with so many delicious things!
Low Carb and Keto Stuffed Peppers
Lasagna stuffed peppers are low carb, keto, and gluten free. They are a healthy recipe that you'll feel good about serving.
Following a low carb and keto diet means I sometimes miss pasta - but not in this recipe. I love the lasagna taste but with no pasta!
A nutritional analysis is below, but here is a summary:
net carbs 9.2 g | fat 23.6 g | protein 15.6 g
How To Serve
Stuffed peppers are really intended to be a meal in one but if you are looking for a little more here are a few ideas:
- Serve with extra marinara sauce and garnish with some fresh basil.
- Make a simple side salad and toss with Zesty Italian Dressing.
- If you have non low carb or keto followers in your house, serving with garlic bread is tasty.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make lasagna stuffed peppers keto and low carb:
For a list of full ingredients please see the recipe card.
- Bell Peppers - Use any color you like. Green bell peppers are less sweet the red, yellow, or orange - but only slightly.
- Italian Sausage -
- Marinara Sauce - If you are following keto make sure your marinara has no added sugar.
- Mozzarella - freshly grated mozzarella melts the best
- Parmesan Cheese - use freshly grated if possible
- Whole Milk Ricotta or cottage cheese - most people use ricotta, but cottage cheese works just as well and adds great flavor to lasagna.
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: fresh basil for garnish. I also like to set aside extra sauce for topping off my peppers after they are baked.
The following is a list of equipment you will need to make this recipe.
- 13 x 9 baking dish
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cheese grater or food processor (these make quick work of grating cheese!)
- Mixing Bowls (I've had this exact set for years. They are a perfect weight, do not move around on the counter while stirring, and are really good quality.)
- Chef Knife
- Cutting Board
There are several ways you can vary this recipe to suit your tastes.
- Don't like Italian sausage? Substitute ground beef.
- Use ricotta cheese or cottage cheese. Both have great flavor.
- Feel free to add a cup or cup and a half of diced vegetables such as mushrooms, onion, zucchini. Cook the vegetables with the sausage until tender. Drain any excess liquid.
- Make it spicier by using a spicy Italian sausage or by adding red pepper flakes.
- Freeze the stuffed peppers for later. Place in an airtight freezer proof container and freeze up to 3 months.
- Cook in your slow cooker. Stuff raw peppers then place in a lightly oiled crockpot and cook on low until the peppers are tender. (Note: with this cooking method you do not need to pre-cook the peppers.)
Here's how to make lasagna stuffed peppers. Please follow the recipe card for detailed instructions.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Assemble ingredients. Wash peppers. Slice peppers lengthwise in half through the middle and remove the seeds.
Cook The Peppers
Place peppers in a microwave-safe dish with 3 to 4 tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave for 5 to 8 minutes or until peppers are soft.
Cook The Meat
In the meantime, brown the Italian sausage until cooked through.
Make Lasagna Filling
In a bowl combine meat, garlic, 16 oz of marinara sauce, ricotta, 1/8 cup parmesan, 2 cups mozzarella, and Italian seasoning.
Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place cooked peppers inside the dish and generously stuff with meat and cheese mixture.
Top with remaining cheese.
Bake 350 ° F for 20-30 minutes until peppers are heated through and cheese is melted.
Serve with the remaining marinara sauce and a garnish of basil. Yum!
- Many recipes will not ask you to cook the bell peppers in advance. This does work fine but the recipe will take much longer to bake. If you microwave the peppers until they are just soft baking will go fast!
- Make this recipe in advance by following the recipe - but save the baking step for when you are ready. Cover the unbaked stuffed peppers with foil or plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake and serve. Remove from the refrigerator about 30 mintues before baking. Bake until they are warm and cheese is melted.
What Sides Go With Stuffed Peppers?
Steamed broccoli or a salad with a low carb or keto-approved salad dressing go really well with these lasagna stuffed peppers.
Of course, if you have non-keto followers and carb lover's in your house serve with a side of pasta marinara. This will make everyone in your family happy.
How Do I Reheat Stuffed Peppers?
You can reheat stuffed peppers in the oven, by covering them with foil and baking at 350° F until warm inside. An alternative is warming in the microwave oven.
Should I boil my peppers before stuffing them?
To reduce the baking time, you can boil peppers before stuffing them or you can steam in the microwave for 10 minutes. Make sure to slice your peppers in half and take the seeds out, per the recipe instructions.
I like steaming in the microwave because it is quicker and hands-off which makes my life easier.
Can You Freeze Stuffed Peppers?
You can freeze stuffed peppers. My preferred method is to make the recipe first - stuffing and baking the peppers, then freezing in airtight containers. Thaw and bake until heated through at 350° F
Freeze them individually for the perfect make-ahead lunch or single-serving dinner!
How Long Will Stuffed Peppers Keep In The Fridge?
Stuffed peppers will keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
How Long Can You Freeze Peppers?
Peppers can be frozen up to 8 months, but I prefer to use stuffed peppers within 3 to 6 months.
How Long Do Stuffed Peppers Take To Cook?
This recipe takes anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes to bake, but the bell peppers are steamed in advance while I'm preparing the lasagna filling.
More Stuffed Pepper Recipes
Recipes That Use Bell Peppers
Here are a few more recipes using bell peppers that I think you'll love!
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Cajun Keto Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Italian Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
- Chicken Fajitas Bake
- Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Chicken Fajita Soup
⭐ Let's Connect
If you tried Lasagna Stuffed Peppers, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Keto stuffed peppers with a tasty lasagna filling. Lasagna stuffed peppers are filled with sausage, gooey melted cheeses, and marinara. This keto recipe makes an easy weeknight dinner and a perfect make-ahead recipe. Sure to become a family favorite as everyone loves lasagna! #italian #lasagna #stuffedpeppers #keto #lowcarb #ketogenic #seekinggoodeats #ketostuffedpeppers