Cube Steak in the Oven takes comfort food to another level! Fork tender smothered cube steaks in an herbed onion and mushroom gravy cooked to perfection. Stovetop to oven in one skillet makes for easy clean-up!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe
"Budget friendly cubed steaks are made tender by smothering them with a delicious mushroom and onion gravy - all in one pan! It's low carb and keto too!" -Kori
What is Cube Steak?
Cubed steak is traditionally the bottom round cut of meat that has been tenderized by the butcher. It gets its name gets from the marks left on the meat after being tenderized into little cubes - much like a ground beef patty. It is an inexpensive cut that has minimal marbling (fat) but still has great flavor.
One Pan Wonder
A one-pan recipe from stovetop to oven! Cook everything in an ovenproof skillet (I used my cast-iron skillet) from start to finish. Easy to make, easy to eat! 🙂 If you don't own an ovenproof skillet just transfer everything to a casserole dish and bake.
The words healthy and comfort food aren't often used together. However, this recipe is low carb, keto, and high in protein! Paired with healthier sides, this can be a perfectly balanced meal for the whole family.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Cube Steak in the Oven:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cube Steak - use any cubed steak, top or bottom round.
- Mushrooms - I used baby bella mushrooms (cremini) which tend to be a little "beefier" in taste, but you can use any variety. See the Variations section for other suggested mushrooms.
- Sweet Onion - substitute with yellow or red onion if preferred.
- Worchestershire Sauce
- Heavy Cream - you can also substitute cream of mushroom soup. Do not reduce and you'll need to reduce the amount of salt and pepper used.
- Sour Cream
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Dried Thyme
- Optional garnish - fresh chopped parsley or sliced green onion.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Equipment and tools needed to make this cube steak recipe:
- 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet - if you don't have a cast-iron skillet, no worries just transfer to a baking dish and bake.
- Cutting Board - for chopping onions.
- Chef Knife - any size will work but use what's comfortable for you.
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Small Whisk - to thoroughly mix ingredients together.
- Large Mixing Spoon - for serving.
- Tongs - for serving.
- Aluminum Foil
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making cube steak in the oven:
Preheat your Oven to 325 degrees F.
While your cast-iron skillet is heating, season the cube steaks with salt and pepper.
While your cast-iron skillet is heating the oil, season your cube steaks with salt and pepper.
Once the oil just starts to smoke, sear the steaks for 2 minutes on each side.
Transfer steaks to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic to the skillet and saute until the onions are translucent and tender.
Turn the heat down to medium and add the whipping cream, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme.
Bring to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the cream is reduced by half.
Add the sour cream and whisk until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
Steak and Bake
Place the steaks back into the skillet and smother them with the gravy.
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.
Season your gravy to taste.
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve cube steak in the oven:
- Garnish with parsley or green onions.
- Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort combo with this cube steak recipe!
- Keep it light and low carb by serving over cauliflower rice.
- Make a salad to pair and balance this main course well! Check out my recipe for a delicious creamy dill dressing or my Italian dressing recipe to top your favorite salad.
- My air fryer green beans or crockpot green beans would pair well with this dinner!
- More topping ideas: crispy fried onions or sharp cheddar cheese.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- To save time use cream of mushroom soup in place of the cream. See the recipe card for more detail.
- Substitute your beef cube steaks with pork cube steaks.
- Use any type of mushrooms you have on hand, or for what your preference is. Some suggestions are white cap mushrooms or portabello mushrooms. These are easily found in your local grocery store along with cremini mushrooms.
See this similar crockpot version of this recipe on my website!
💭 Top Tips
- For the best caramelization of your steak, don't overcrowd the pan (work in batches if you need to) and make sure your pan is hot and the olive oil is just starting to smoke before searing.
- To save time use cream of mushroom soup instead of whipping cream and do not reduce. Reduce the amount of salt and pepper called for in the recipe.
- If your skillet isn't oven-proof, you can transfer your steak and gravy mixture to a casserole dish to bake.
Store your leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days after cooking.
Microwave: Reheat slowly in a microwave safe dish on 50% power until it reaches your desired temperature.
It is not recommended that you freeze this recipe.
How do you cook cube steak so it's not tough?
There are three ways to cook cube steak so it is not tough:
Skillet. Seasoned cube steak can be cooked in a skillet on the stovetop in a little bit of oil, over medium high heat. Only cook them for 3 minutes on each side to get a good sear on them and they reach a medium rare temperature of 130 degrees F. Remove the steak and tent with foil for 5 minutes. The temperature will increase to 135.
Oven. To keep the steaks from drying out in the oven we sear the seasoned cube steaks 1.5 minutes in hot oil. Then we create a gravy (or use cream of mushroom soup mixed with a little beef broth) then smother the steaks. Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes.
Slow Cooker. Place steaks in a slow cooker and cover with a mixture of cream of mushroom soup and a little beef broth. Cover and cook on low for a minimum 6 hours to allow the meat to tenderize.
How long should you cook cube steaks in the oven?
The answer depends on the recipe you are following. For this recipe we sear the steaks for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, then smother in gravy. We then transfer them to the oven (325 degrees F) for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until they are tender.
✔️ More Steak Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious beef recipes, check these out:
- Crock Pot Cube Steak
- Pan Seared Ribeye Steak
- Chipotle Steak Recipe
- How To Grill A Ribeye Steak
- Herbed Butter Steak
⭐ Let's Connect
Did you try one of my recipes and love it? Let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a 5-star rating and a comment 🙂
Cube Steak in The Oven
- 1 12" cast iron skillet or ovenproof skillet (if you don't have an ovenproof skillet transfer to a casserole dish)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 pounds cube steak
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 large sweet onion (chopped)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup sour cream
- (optional garnish) chopped fresh parsley or sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Preheat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- While your cast-iron skillet is heating, season the cube steaks with salt and pepper.
- Once the oil just starts to smoke, sear the steaks for 1½ minutes on each side. Transfer steaks to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic to the skillet and saute until the onions are translucent and tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the whipping cream, worcestershire sauce, and thyme.
- Bring to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the cream is reduced by a third and starts to thicken, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and whisk until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
- Place the steaks back into the skillet and smother them with the gravy.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.
- Season gravy to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley or green onion and serve.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- SUBSTITUTIONS: Substitute cubed pork steak if desired; To save time use cream of mushroom soup in place of whipping cream, but do not reduce. Reduce the amount of salt and pepper used.
- TOP TIPS: For the best caramelization of your steak, don't overcrowd the pan (work in batches if you need to) and make sure your pan is hot and the olive oil is just starting to smoke before searing.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with creamy mashed potatoes, mashed or riced cauliflower, or a healthy side of steamed or roasted vegetables. Garnish with fresh parsley or green onions.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™