You're gonna love this pork cube steak recipe! Juicy and tender cubed pork steaks pan-seared, smothered in a rich, creamy herbed onion and mushroom gravy, and then finished in the oven. This recipe also just happens to be low carb, keto, and gluten free too!
Watch: Skillet Pork Cube Steak Video
You'll ❤️ This Easy Recipe For Pork Cube Steak
One Pan Dish. I love a good recipe that can be made in one pan from start to finish. This recipe starts by pan-searing the pork cube steaks, then next is the gravy, and then combined and finished in the oven till finished.
Tender and Juicy Pork Steaks! By searing these cube steaks first, it seals in the juices to help make this affordable cut of meat more juicy and tender. Smothering in gravy and then baking in the oven until the appropriate doneness of 145 degrees F.
Healthy. This is gluten-free, low-carb, and keto-friendly! These pork steaks also pack a good amount of protein as well! Keep it healthy by serving it with a salad or roasted veggies.
Boneless Pork Cube Steak Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make pork cube steak:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pork Cube Steaks - choose the number of cube steaks you need for how many people you are serving.
- Pot Roast Seasoning - make extra and store for future uses!
- Yellow Onion - you can use your preferred onion instead of yellow if interested.
- Mushrooms - use your favorite here, also! I recommend using the white button or baby portabello mushrooms
- Minced Garlic - use freshly minced garlic or store-bought pre-minced garlic to save time.
- Whipping Cream - replace with cream of mushroom soup if preferred. Scroll to the variations section below on how to do this.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Sour Cream - purchase and use light or full fat.
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Optional Garnish: chopped fresh parsley or sliced green onion.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make Skillet Pork Cube Steaks in Gravy
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making these smothered pork cube steaks:
Sear Pork Steaks
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Season the pork cube steaks with the pot roast seasoning.
2. Preheat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the steaks for one and a half minutes on each side. Transfer steaks to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
Make the Gravy
3. Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic to the skillet and saute until the onions are translucent and tender.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and add the whipping cream, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme.
5. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the cream is reduced by a third and starts to thicken about six to eight minutes.
6. Add the sour cream and whisk until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
Combine and Bake
7. Place the steaks back into the skillet and cover or smother them with the gravy.
8. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
🥗 How To Serve It
Here are a few ways to serve these pork cube steaks in the oven:
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or sliced green onions.
Meal idea! Serve with creamy mashed potatoes or rice. If following low carb or keto serve with mashed or riced cauliflower. A side of steamed or roasted broccoli or green beans is nice.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Substitute beef cubed steak in place of the pork cubed steak if desired.
- Save time by using cream of mushroom soup instead of whipping cream. If you do this, then there is no need to reduce it and reduce the amount of salt and pepper you use.
- Adjust any seasonings or ingredients you prefer in this recipe.
💭 Top Tips
- For the best flavor and texture, make sure not to crowd your cast iron skillet with cube steak. Sear your steaks in multiple batches to achieve the best caramelization.
- When searing cube steak, ensure your oil is slightly smoking before placing your cube steaks in the pan.
- If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, place your cube steak into a casserole dish or dutch oven after searing to finish.
To store your pork cube steak, first, cool them completely. Then transfer them to an air-tight container to be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat your cube steak in the microwave on 50% power or in the oven at 350 degrees, covered in foil.
There are a couple of ways. The quickest way is to follow our recipe card below using the baking method or using the slow cooking method. Both of these cooking methods allow the cube steak to break down slowly and tenderize with time in the oven or slow cooker.
The safe internal temperature for cooked cube pork steak is no less than 145 degrees using an instant-read thermometer.
Yes, it sure does. Whether baking in an oven-proof skillet or a crock pot, the proteins in the meat slowly break down and continue to tenderize as it cooks.
Pork Cube Steak in The Oven
- 12" cast iron skillet or ovenproof skillet (if you don't have an ovenproof skillet transfer to a casserole dish)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 pounds pork cube steaks
- 3 tablespoons pot roast seasoning
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- (optional garnish) chopped fresh parsley or sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Season the pork cube steaks with pot roast seasoning.
- Preheat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is just starting to smoke, sear the steaks for 1½ minutes on each side. Reduce heat if needed. Transfer steaks to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the skillet and saute until the onions are translucent and tender, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the whipping cream, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Bring to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the cream is reduced by a third and starts to thicken, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and whisk until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
- Place the steaks back into the skillet and smother them with the gravy.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes. Season gravy to taste.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- SUBSTITUTIONS: Substitute beef cubed steak if desired; To save time use cream of mushroom soup in place of whipping cream, but do not reduce. Reduce the amount of salt and pepper used.
- TOP TIPS: For the best caramelization of your chops, don't overcrowd the pan (work in batches if you need to) and make sure your pan is hot and the olive oil is just starting to smoke before searing.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with fresh parsley or green onions.Serve with creamy mashed potatoes, mashed or riced cauliflower, or a healthy side of steamed or roasted vegetables.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
Leave a Reply