Crockpot Green Beans and Ham are the easiest and BEST green beans you'll ever eat. So simple to make and seasoned perfectly - great for weeknight dinners and special enough for holidays. This recipe is low carb, gluten free, sugar-free, and keto.
Why You'll Love Slow Cooker Green Beans
"Working full-time means I'm always looking for super easy recipes. This is one of my favorite ways to make green beans. The green beans are perfectly seasoned and taste amazing in the slow cooker. Great for a weeknight supper but special enough to add to your holiday menu." -Kori
The PERFECT Easy Side Dish
Any side dish that you can be made in a hurry is the perfect one for me. I love recipes that make vegetables taste good and interesting to eat.
Easy Make Ahead Green Beans
You can make these green beans so fast you won't believe it. Everything gets added to the slow cooker and you turn it on low.
Feel free to pre-prep these beans ahead of time. Follow the recipe instructions but don't cook. Cover the crockpot and keep it in the fridge until the day you want to eat the beans.
Low Carb and Keto Side Dish Recipe
Slow cooker green beans are a healthy recipe with only 5.7 g of net carbs
There is only 1 gram of fat in this recipe, use 2 tablespoons (or more) of olive oil or unsalted butter to increase the fat grams in this recipe. Alternatively, you can add fat to your individual serving if not everyone is following a keto diet in your house.
The full nutritional analysis of this recipe is included in the recipe card, but the most important for keto followers is:
net carbs 5.7 g | fat 1 g | protein 4 g
How to Serve
Since this is a side I thought I'd give you some main dish ideas that would be amazing with these green beans:
- Got two slow cookers? Try this slow cooker ham! You can serve this ham for any dinner, including holidays, along with these green beans and you have got yourself a super simple dinner.
- Cordon Bleu Stuffed Pork Loin
- Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe With Cheese And Bacon (“Big Mac” Meatloaf)
- Best Grilled Chicken Recipe (Dry Rub Grilled Chicken With White Barbecue Sauce)
- Want a second side dish? Try cauliflower cheese or zucchini carrot casserole - two of my favorite side dish casseroles. 🙂
Ingredients and Tools
- 2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed (you can cut or leave whole)
- 1 smoked ham hock (or 1 ham steak diced for a total of 1 cup)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Optional: use 2 tbsp olive oil to add healthy fat.
- Optional: 1 lb new baby potatoes, peeled and halved (increase broth by an additional 1/2 cup)
- Optional garnish: sliced almonds
Step by Step Instructions
Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray.
In a 4 to 6 quart crockpot, add onion, green beans, ham, chicken broth, seasoned salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until vegetables are tender.
Remove ham hock after cooking. Allow it to cool then pull meat from bone and add the meat back to the crockpot.
Drain liquid from beans or use a slotted spoon for easy serving.
Garnish with sliced almonds if desired.
- If you've got non-keto followers in your house you can add 1 lb of new baby potatoes, halved to this recipe. Increase the chicken broth by 1/2 cup. Place the potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker, then add the ham then green beans.
- My favorite, and I think the most flavorful, way to make these green beans is to use a ham hock. So simple, just toss it in and remove the meat from the bone later once the beans are cooked.
- These green beans can easily be doubled or tripled to serve as many people as your crock can hold. A simple way to serve these beans for a crowd is to leave the beans in the crockpot and keep them on warm.
Can I use frozen green beans?
Frozen green beans can definitely be used. Just add them frozen to your crockpot and that's it! There will be slightly more liquid in the pot after cooking, but it makes no difference overall as the liquid is not served with the beans.
What is a ham hock?
A ham hock is the joint that attaches a pig's foot to its leg. A ham hock is also called a pork knuckle. It is encased in fat and usually cured and smoked. Using a ham hock lends a smoky bacon taste which makes it perfect for this green recipe!
What kind of green beans should I use?
Any kind of fresh or frozen green beans can be used in this recipe. You can serve them whole or cut it doesn't matter. Note that thinner green beans will take less time to cook.
Can I freeze these beans after cooking?
Yes! You can freeze these green beans after they've cooked. Place the beans along with about 1/2 cup juices in a freezer-safe airtight container after they have cooled and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw in your refrigerator and reheat in your microwave until hot.
Are green beans keto-friendly?
Yes! Green beans are keto-friendly. 1/2 cup green beans by themselves have 4.8 grams net carbs, 0.2 grams fat, 2.1 grams protein. To add healthy fat serve with butter, olive oil, avocado oil, etc.
How can I increase the fat in this recipe?
If you would like to incease the healthy fat in this recipe overall, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil or unsalted butter. Alternatively, I like to just make the recipe as is, then add more fat to my serving depending upon what my day's nutritional needs are.
📋 Printable Recipe
Here are some more easy and delicious vegetable side dish recipes you can try! All our low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto recipes. Enjoy!
- Zucchini Carpaccio
- Herb Marinated BBQ Vegetables (Vegetable Barbeque)
- Italian Roasted Cabbage Slices (Low Carb & Keto Cabbage Recipe)
- Layered Salad (Layered Overnight Salad)
- Green Bean Casserole with Bacon And Cheese (Low Carb and Keto)
- Red Cabbage Recipe (Roasted Red Cabbage)
- Coconut Cauliflower Rice (Keto Cauliflower Rice)
- Creamy Bake Brussel Sprouts | by The Novice Chef
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review our recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Crockpot green beans with ham are a super easy side dish recipe to make and taste AMAZING. With fresh green beans, ham, and seasonings these beans turn out perfect every time! A healthy side dish, slow cooker green beans can be made for a weeknight meal or even a holiday recipe. #crockpotgreenbeans #slowcookergreenbeans #greenbeanswithham #greenbeans #ham #crockpot #slowcooker #lowcarb #keto #sidedish #vegetablesidedishd #holidayrecipe #healthyrecipe