This easy Instant Pot Pepper Steak recipe is a delicious Chinese-style easy-to-make dinner that's perfect for busy weeknights! It's loaded with flavor from the fresh peppers, garlic, tomatoes, seasonings, and steak. So delicious!
- You will love this Pepper Steak and Rice recipe
- Easy Pepper Steak Recipe ingredients
- Easy Pepper Steak variations
- How to make Pepper Steak and Rice
- How to serve Instant Pot Pepper Steak
- How to make Pepper Steak : Top tips!
- How to store Instant Pot Peppered Steak
- Easy Pepper Steak Recipe FAQs
- More Instant Pot Recipes
- 💬 Comments
You will love this Pepper Steak and Rice recipe
"This is a very quick and simple recipe to make in your electric pressure cooker! This recipe is adapted from my sister-in-law's stovetop version that she is so famous for!" 🙂
The Instant pot pressure cooker is so lovely to use when making this dish! Just saute your steak and peppers and then pressure cook until done. It is so simple to make and so full of flavor!
Quick and Easy
No need to order Chinese pepper steak takeout - you can easily make this at home! Start by sauteing the peppers and garlic then sear the meat and add the rest. Set it and forget it while you get the table ready. Thicken the sauce and voila! Dinner is ready.
Using a gluten-free soy sauce such as Tamari or Coconut Aminos and a low carb thickener such as xanthan gum, this recipe is keto and low carb.
Easy Pepper Steak Recipe ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Instant Pot pepper steak recipe:
- Sirloin Steak - you can also use round steak or flank steak.
- Soy Sauce - regular soy sauce can be used or make it gluten-free and keto by using gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos. Low sodium soy sauce can also be used.
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Green Bell Peppers - green pepper or red bell pepper can be used.
- Garlic - fresh minced.
- Beef Broth - substitute chicken or vegetable broth if preferred.
- Cornstarch or Xanthan Gum - used to thicken the juices. Xanthan gum is used as a low carb and keto substitute.
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Optional - serve over cooked cauliflower rice, white or brown rice, and garnish with sliced green onions.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
What is the best steak for Pepper Steak?
Sirloin, flank steak, or round steak are the best cuts for pepper steak.
Easy Pepper Steak variations
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Spice it up. Szechuan pepper is a mild Chinese pepper that will give lots of flavor! Hint: start with a half teaspoon and add more as you like. You could also use red pepper flakes or hot sauce.
- Add onion when you add the peppers.
- You can use any colored peppers you like. Red peppers are slightly sweeter pepper as well as orange and yellow.
- Substitute flank steak for the sirloin steak.
How to make Pepper Steak and Rice
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this Instant Pot Pepper Steak recipe:
Sear and Saute
Season steak with paprika, salt, and pepper.
Select saute setting on your instant pot, high and preheat pressure cooker. Add half the olive oil.
Add green pepper and stir fry for 5 minutes or until they are crisp-tender. Add garlic and stir fry for 1 more minute. Transfer peppers and garlic to a plate.
Add the remaining olive oil to the pot. Working in several batches, brown one side of the beef strips then transfer to a plate.
Add beef strips back to the pot, any accumulated juices, 1 cup beef broth, and soy sauce. Lock the lid and cook on high pressure, 12 minutes cook time.
When pressure cooking is completed, use a quick release pressure.
In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup beef broth and the cornstarch until dissolved. Add to pot and stir.
Select saute/simmer medium. Add tomatoes and bell peppers to the pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Serve over hot cooked white or brown rice or riced cauliflower. Garnish with sliced green onion.
How to make Gravy for Pepper Steak
To make gravy, whisk 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water in a small bo wl. Separate the pot juices (remove any vegetables or meat). You will need at least 2 cups of liquid, so supplement with beef broth to make up the difference. Bring to a simmer (medium heat) then whisk in cornstarch mixture. Whisk frequently until the gravy begins to thicken. Add in broth if needed and adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
How to serve Instant Pot Pepper Steak
Here are a few ways to serve Instant Pot Pepper Steak:
Garnish your pepper steak stir fry with fresh sliced green onion, sesame seeds, or wonton strips.
How to make Pepper Steak : Top tips!
- Feel free to use a slow cooker if you don’t own an instant pot.
- If using a slow cooker, sear your steak in a cast iron skillet with your vegetables as well and put it into the slow cooker to finish, which will have a longer cook time.
- Ensure your instant pot is hot enough to get a nice sear and caramelization on your steak and vegetables. This adds a lot of flavor to this dish.
How to store Instant Pot Peppered Steak
For leftovers, store your instant pot pepper steak in an air-tight container for up to 4 days. Make sure to fully cool your leftovers before covering your container and putting them into the refrigerator.
How to reheat this Pepper Steak and Rice recipe
Reheating in the microwave is the easiest way to reheat. Transfer to a microwave-safe dish, cover and reheat on low power for 1 to 2 minutes (time will vary according to the microwave.)
How to freeze Instant Pot Pepper Steak
Freeze in an air-tight container or freezer bag for up to three months. Remember to fully cool your leftovers without the cover before storing in the freezer.
Easy Pepper Steak Recipe FAQs
Salting your steak, especially before cooking, can help tenderize your steak and act as a dry brine. Seasoning your steak for up to two days prior to cooking can tenderize and add bold rich flavors to your steak!
Slice it against the grain and only cook until it is medium rare.
No you do not need to wash steak before cooking. Only the vegetables used in pepper steak need to be washed.
It is optional. It is not necessary to oil steak beforehand, but it does help to hold dry seasoning rubs or salt and pepper. It also creates a nice sear on the outside resulting in a juicier inside.
Easy Pepper Steak in the Instant Pot
- 1½ pounds top sirloin steak (cut into ¼" strips)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ¼ cup olive oil (divided)
- 3 large green bell peppers (cut into ¼" strips)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1½ cup beef broth (divided)
- ¼ cup soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos (keto: use gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch or 1 tsp xanthan gum (dissolve xanthan gum in 2 tsp olive oil before adding)
- 2 large tomatoes (cut into eight wedges each)
- optional garnish: sliced green onions
- Season steak with paprika, salt, and pepper and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pot and select Saute setting, high.
- Add green bell peppers and stir fry for 5 minutes or until they are crisp-tender. Add garlic and stir fry for 1 more minute. Transfer peppers and garlic to a plate.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pot. Working in several batches, brown one side of the beef strips then transfer to a plate.
- Add beef strips back to the pot, any accumulated juices, 1 cup beef broth, and soy sauce. Lock the lid and select the high pressure cook setting, 12 minutes cook time.
- When pressure cooking is completed, use a quick release pressure.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup beef broth and the corn starch until dissolved. Add to pot and stir.
- Select saute/simmer medium. Add tomatoes and bell peppers to the pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes..
- Serve over hot cooked rice or riced cauliflower. Garnish with sliced green onion.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- TOP TIPS: 1 thinly sliced onion can be added and sauteed when cooking the green bell pepper. Mushrooms also go well.
- NOTES: Keto followers should use coconut aminos or gluten-free tamari, and keto-friendly thickener such as xanthan gum.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: serve over hot cooked rice or riced cauliflower. Garnish with sliced scallions.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
More Instant Pot Recipes
Got more instant pot recipes I think you'll enjoy! Check them out: