Cajun Keto Sausage and Peppers Recipe, is a quick and easy one-pan meal! Sauteed sausage with peppers and onions, cajun seasoning, topped with sour cream and cheese make a wonderfully simple weeknight meal. Low carb, keto, and gluten free too!
- Watch how to make this keto Sausage Peppers and Onions Recipe
- Best Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Sausage Peppers and Onions ingredients
- Sausage Peppers and Onions variations
- How to make Sausage with Peppers and Onions
- Keto Sausage and Peppers Recipe tips
- How to serve Cajun style Sausage Peppers and Onions
- Storing Sausage Peppers and Onions
- Keto Sausage and Peppers FAQs
- Related Recipes
- Keto Recipe for Sausage and Peppers with Onions
Watch how to make this keto Sausage Peppers and Onions Recipe
Best Sausage and Peppers Recipe
"1 pan, 7 ingredients, and less that 20 minutes to the most flavorful and satisfying weeknight dinner recipe. This keto sausage recipe is on my menu almost weekly! Should I admit that? lol" 🙂 -Kori
Quick and Easy
A super simple keto sausage recipe is just what you need on a busy weeknight. Cajun keto sausage and peppers has only 7 ingredients and takes less than 20 minutes in a skillet.
Cajun Inspired Twist
No need to settle for just plain keto sausage and peppers. Give it some pep with a Cajun twist. There is just something about the combination of peppers, onions, sausage, cheese, and Cajun seasoning that makes this a super satisfying dish.
This recipe is gluten free, low carb, keto, and has no added sugar.
Add more healthy fat by garnishing with avocado slices.
Here are the nutrient facts that most pertain to low carb and keto followers. for full nutrition information see the recipe card.
27 g fat | 8.6 g net carbs | 11.5 g protein
Sausage Peppers and Onions ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this low carb keto sausage and peppers recipe:
- Kielbasa sausage - you can also use smoked sausage, andouille, or other cajun sausage. Make sure it is keto friendly they sometimes sneak carbs and sugar in the sausages.
- Bell peppers - any color
- Onion - I used yellow, but a sweet onion, or red would be good too.
- Cajun seasoning - use a favorite salted Cajun seasoning blend.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Sour cream - use full fat for keto
- Cheddar cheese - freshly grated is best!
Sausage Peppers and Onions variations
There are several ways you can make substitutions or vary this recipe:
- Don't like Cajun seasoning? Use another salted seasoning blend. Creole, taco seasoning, fajita seasoning, lemon pepper - whatever you like. You can add an unsalted seasoning and then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make it dairy free by omitting the sour cream and cheese.
- Add spicy heat with a favorite Cajun inspired hot sauce.
- Add shrimp - so delicious!
- Add mushrooms and diced zucchini into the bell peppers and onion when sauteeing.
How to make Sausage with Peppers and Onions
Here's how to make this delicious Cajun sausage and peppers recipe:
Prepare and assemble all ingredients. Slice peppers, removing pulp and seeds. Slice onions thinly, and slice sausage into 1/2" slices.
With 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, saute sausage until it is heated through and getting a nice brown color. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
Add remaining olive oil and saute peppers and onions until they reach your desired tenderness.
Add cajun seasoning and stir. Adjust seasoning to your liking.
Serve and top with sour cream and grated cheddar cheese
Keto Sausage and Peppers Recipe tips
- Buy pre-cooked sausage from the store so you only have to brown it. Some sausage comes raw and will need to cook according to the package instructions.
- Double check that the sausage is keto friendly - sometimes they slip carbs and sugar in.
- Cook the peppers and onions to your desired tenderness level.
How to serve Cajun style Sausage Peppers and Onions
Serving this recipe is quite easy as it's really a meal in one. If you want a little more, here are some ideas:
- Serve over a side of steamed rice cauliflower (or regular rice if you're not following low carb or keto).
- Make a simple fresh side salad with a favorite dressing. Try this avocado dressing, it would go really well with cajun sausage and peppers!
- Don't limit yourself to sour cream and cheese as a topping, try avocado slices and fresh diced tomato.
- Adjust the seasoning to your tastes. Add salt and pepper if you want.
Storing Sausage Peppers and Onions
Store leftover cooked sausage peppers and onions in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. This recipe does not freeze well as the peppers and onions break down and become soggy and watery.
Be sure to pin this to Pinterest and save for later! 🙂
Keto Sausage and Peppers FAQs
This depends on the recipe, this recipe is American cajun inspired, while some recipes are Italian-inspired. This recipe uses smoked sausage or andouille, while some recipe use Italian sausage.
This sausage and peppers recipe contains 10.7 grams of carbs.
Yes most sausage are ok on keto, but please check the packaging because sometimes fillers are added that contain carbs, as well as sugar might be a hidden ingredient.
Keto Dinner Recipes
- Italian Crock Pot Beef Roast
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup with Beer Brats
- Tomato and Mozzarella Caprese Frittata
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
More Recipes With Bell Peppers
Keto Recipe for Sausage and Peppers with Onions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12-ounce) package kielbasa, smoked pork sausage, or cajun sausage (cut into ½" thick slices)
- 4 bell peppers (any color, sliced)
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat a 12" skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil then sauté sausage until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, onions, and peppers to the skillet and sauté until desired tenderness is reached.
- Add sausage back to the skillet and toss to warm. Stir in Cajun seasoning. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve and top with sour cream and cheese.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
Pin me for later!
An amazing keto recipe that is super easy! Cajun sausage and peppers is a one-pan dinner that you can whip together in a hurry. Only a few ingredients, this keto sausage recipe is a perfect weeknight dinner idea! Love a one-pan meal! #peppers #cajun #keto #sausagerecipe #lowcarb #seekinggoodeats #easyrecipe #healthyrecipe #dinneridea #quickrecipe #onepanmeal