Simply the best meatloaf recipe! You'll love this flavorful and easy classic meatloaf recipe that's been elevated with healthy an homemade onion soup mix and a delicious topping. If there is any left, this makes fabulous leftover meatloaf sandwiches!
🎥 Recipe Video
Why You'll ❤️ Classic Meatloaf Recipe
"This is my grandmother's classic meatloaf recipe that I've been making for years! There is just something so comforting about it. It's super easy to make, and the leftovers make a fabulous sandwich!"
There are only 7 ingredients in this recipe - including the topping! The meatloaf itself is just ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, ketchup, onion soup mix, and a little water. The topping is just ketchup mixed with brown sugar - so SO good!
Simple and Delicious
This recipe is straightforward and so easy to follow. Mix all the meatloaf ingredients together and transfer to a loaf pan to bake. Top with the delicious ketchup and brown sugar mixture and bake for 1 hour.
This easy meatloaf recipe is low carb and can be adjusted for keto and gluten-free easily by using a brown sugar substitute and gluten-free keto bread crumbs! Use low-fat or lean protein to cut down the fat content as well. An easy family dinner for busy weeknights!
🥘 What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make the best meatloaf recipe:
Onion Soup Mix - If you are able, make your own soup mix, it's wonderful and has a little more flavor than the store-bought packets. If you want to use a packet, the meatloaf will still be delicious!
Ground Beef - I use an 80/20 blend, but you can purchase lean ground beef if preferred.
Bread Crumbs - you can use any style you like, I use what I have on hand, like Italian, seasoned, or plain.
Ketchup - any brand or kind of ketchup will work.
Brown Sugar - use regular, dark, or a brown sugar substitute.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make It
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making the best meatloaf recipe:
Make the Meatloaf
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
Add onion soup mix, ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, water, and ketchup in a large bowl.
Stir together until well incorporated
Transfer To Baking Dish
Transfer the meatloaf mixture to a baking dish and shape it into a loaf.
Make the topping by mixing ketchup and brown sugar in a small bowl.
Spread over the top of the meatloaf.
Bake for 1 hour or until the center of the loaf reaches 160 degrees F with an instant-read thermometer. Remove and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
🥗 How To Serve It
Here are a few ways to serve the best meatloaf recipe:
Leftover idea! Make meatloaf grilled cheese sandwiches! Make a standard grilled cheese sandwich with your favorite cheese, and add a slice of meatloaf. Make extra topping sauce and use it as a dipping sauce for your meatloaf grilled cheese. It is SO good!
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Use a leaner blend of ground beef or a 50/50 blend of beef, turkey, or pork.
- Add spices or herbs to your meatloaf, such as garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning, or heat with crushed red pepper and chipotle powder or add some hot sauce to your topping mixture if you'd like!
- Use your favorite bbq sauce in place of the ketchup in this recipe. You could use a sugar-free bbq sauce to reduce the sugar content.
💭 Top Tips
Best tips for making the best meatloaf recipe:
- Use a foil-lined baking pan using aluminum foil to make removing the meatloaf from the pan easier!
- Don't have a loaf pan? You can use a baking sheet! Line the baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for non-stick and easy cleanup. Shape your meatloaf mixture into loaves onto the baking sheet and bake as listed above.
- Make extra meatloaf topping for those who want to dip their meatloaf in the extra sauce!
How To Store
Allow your meatloaf to cool and transfer it to an air-tight container for storage in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How To Reheat
Place your leftovers into a microwave or air fryer and heat on high until your meatloaf has been reheated to your preferred temperature. For the safest results, reheat to 165 degrees or more using an instant-read thermometer.
How To Freeze
Cool the leftover meatloaf and place it into an airtight container or freezer bag, and store it for up to 3 months.
Higher fat content is the best way to moisten meatloaf. Using ground beef with a higher percentage of fat is the easiest way. Otherwise, it is suggested to add ground pork, veal, or bacon to your meatloaf to add extra fat. I have found that adding an extra egg to your meatloaf recipe can add to its moisture content as well.
You don't have to cover meatloaf before you put it in the oven (unless a recipe tells you to). Some recipes ask you to cover it with aluminum foil before you put it into the oven and then remove the aluminum foil before the meatloaf has finished cooking.
Eggs and breadcrumbs are the two main ingredients that bind and hold the meatloaf together during the cooking process.
✔️ More Ground Beef Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious ground beef recipe, check these out:
- Baked Beans With Ground Beef
- Mexican Ground Beef and Potatoes Recipe
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup
- Frozen Meatballs Recipe
- Italian Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe
- Frikadeller (Danish Meatballs)
Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 recipe or package onion soup mix
- 2 pounds ground beef 80/20
- ¾ cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix onion soup mix, ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, water, and ketchup in a large bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to pan and shape into a loaf.
- Make the topping by mixing ketchup and brown sugar in a small bowl. Spread over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the center of the loaf reaches 160°F. Remove from oven and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- TOP TIPS: Line the bottom of the dish with a layer of foil to easily lift the meatloaf out of the pan after cooking.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with mashed potatoes and a side of air fried green beans or brussel sprouts.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™