This 7 Can Taco Soup with chicken is literally the easiest soup you can make. Using pantry ingredients along with chicken, just dump it all in a pot and simmer. When the chicken is done, shred it. Voila! That's it. Did I mention there was no chopping required? 😉 Ready to try it?
Why You'll ❤️ 7 Can Chicken Taco Soup
"Soup season is here and I can't wait for you to make this one pot recipe. Tacos are a favorite of many families, so you know that this delicious 7 can taco soup will keep everyone happy!"
7 can taco soup is easy to make any night of the week because all you have to do is put all the ingredients into a stock pot and bring it to a boil. Shred the chicken once it's done, stir it all together and then serve!
More than likely you will have most of the ingredients in your pantry. Because of the long shelf life of this one pot 7 can soup I try and keep the ingredients on hand so I always have a hearty meal to make when I'm feeling lazy. lol
I love this chicken taco soup because it is lower in fat, and beans are heart-healthy and full of fiber and protein. You can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free beer or chicken broth as a substitute. Omit the chicken and replace the broth with vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian recipe.
Ingredients For Making Easy Taco Soup with Cans
Here are the ingredients you will need to make 7 Can Taco Soup:
- Chicken Breast - I used boneless skinless chicken breast, but you could also use chicken thighs if you prefer. Use ground beef if desired, just brown it in the pot before adding remaining ingredients.
- Canned Kidney Beans - you can also use pinto beans if you prefer.
- Canned Black Beans
- Canned Whole Kernel Corn - be sure to drain your corn to prevent extra liquid.
- Canned Tomato Sauce
- Can of Beer - use any favorite, or substitute chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Regular or Low Sodium Chicken Broth - you can also use vegetable broth.
- Canned Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies - I prefer petite diced tomatoes, but you can use regular diced tomatoes as well. green enchilada sauce or red enchilada sauce can be substituted. It will alter the taste of the recipe slightly so you will need to make adjustments to accommodate.
- Dried Minced Onion - use dried minced onion for convenience, or use 1 medium diced onion and saute it in the bottom of the pot with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft.
- Chicken Taco Seasoning - use our homemade taco seasoning recipe or a store-bought packet of taco seasoning.
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onion, and crushed tortilla chips.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make Seven Can Soup
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this 7 Can Taco Soup:
Add all Ingredients
In a large stockpot, add the beans, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beer, chicken, broth, minced onion, and taco seasoning. Heat over medium heat until the soup is simmering.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat if needed.
Remove the chicken breasts from the soup and shred them. Add the chicken back to the pot.
Salt and pepper the soup to taste. Serve and enjoy!
What To Serve With Taco Soup
Here are a few ways to serve 7 can taco soup:
Garnish your bowl of soup with your favorite taco toppings, such as crispy tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sliced olives, banana peppers, sliced green onions, and sour cream!
Use tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips instead of crackers in your soup if you like.
Meal idea! Serve with a simple green salad and a favorite salad dressing such as this Avocado Dressing - it's delicious and would pair really well with this taco soup.
Serve my Easy Fresh Homemade Guacamole with tortilla chips as an appetizer. It is so good!
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this chicken taco soup recipe:
- Substitute 16 ounces of green enchilada sauce or red enchilada sauce for the diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Use any combination of beans that you like. Pinto beans are quite common.
- Make it creamy and stir in 1 cup sour cream to the soup.
- Make it chicken tortilla soup by topping with crispy tortilla strips.
- Adjust, add or omit any ingredients in this recipe that you like.
- Increase the garlic flavor by adding a teaspoon of garlic powder or so.
- Add red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce to make it spicier.
- Use any variation of chicken broth for this recipe, such as low sodium or fat-free.
- Substitute the chicken breasts with thighs, shredded pork, or ground beef! Brown the ground beef in the pot before adding remaining ingredients. Simmer the soup for 20 minutes. You could also cut your prep time by using canned chicken breast or rotisserie chicken.
- Make-ahead tip! Meal prep and add all ingredients to the stockpot then store in the fridge. Just put it on the stove when you're ready!
- Feel free to use a slow cooker to make this recipe. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours, remove the chicken, shred it, then add back. So delicious - the flavors blend together perfectly.
- Use our homemade taco seasoning or a store-bought packet.
- You could also use xanthan gum, tomato paste, or roux to thicken your soup. I prefer tomato paste, the best of all the options available!
- Simmer 7 Can Soup with a tight lid to reduce the amount of liquid loss.
How To Store
To store, cool uncovered first in an air-tight container. Then cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How To Reheat
For best results, reheat your soup on low in a small sauce pot on the stove. The microwave works just as well, but make sure to reheat your soup to 165 degrees or more.
How To Freeze
Cool uncovered first, then transfer to an air-tight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
The main ingredients in taco soup are ground beef, onion, stock, tomatoes, green chilis, black beans, bell peppers, frozen corn, and taco seasoning.
To thicken, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cornstarch to a 1/4 cup of stock or warm water and mix thoroughly. Then slowly add back to the soup.
There are approximately 197 calories in one cup of taco soup.
More Mexican Soup Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious Mexican-inspired soup recipes, be sure to try these:
- Instant Pot Taco Soup with Beef
- Chicken Fajita Soup (Crockpot + Instant Pot)
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Slow Cooker + Instant Pot)
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
7 Can Chicken Taco Soup
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 16 ounce can kidney beans
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 16 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 12 ounce can of beer (or chicken broth)
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 2 10 ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 recipe chicken taco seasoning (or (1) 1.25 oz package taco seasoning mix)
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional for serving: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onion, and crushed tortilla chips.
- Add all ingredients to a large stockpot. Heat over medium heat until the soup is simmering. Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken shreds easily. Reduce heat if needed.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred. Add the chicken back to the pot.
- Salt and pepper soup to taste. Serve and enjoy.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use 1 medium fresh onion instead of dried minced onion. Saute with 1 tbsp. olive oil until softened. Substitute chicken broth for beer if preferred.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve topped with optional cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, and crushed tortilla chips.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™