Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup, with a creamy broth of green enchiladas sauce, salsa verde, cheeses, and tender shredded chicken, you can't go wrong with this recipe. Perfect for those busy nights!
This delicious chicken enchilada soup recipe is low carb and keto-friendly, which will make everyone happy! This recipe can be made in your slow cooker, on a stovetop, or in an Instant Pot.
🎥 Watch Video
Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
Here are four great reasons to love this soup recipe:
Everyone Will Love
Everyone in our family loves this soup. Because we are a household of five and some like it spicy, and some don't, I can customize it so that everyone will eat.
I start by making it mild, which is how the recipe is written below. Those who like it hot can add more salsa or green chili sauce. It is challenging to remove spicy heat, so start with mild.
I used a chunky green salsa in this recipe, but I have one child who won't eat onions - and definitely wouldn't eat anything green and chunky. If he were eating this, I would opt for a green salsa with no chunks! As long as there are no chunks, he would eat. 🙂
Tasty Soup Recipe
Both creamy and zesty, it tastes just like chicken enchiladas - only better! As I mentioned above, start with mild, and each person can build their heat with a green hot sauce or additional green salsa.
Slow Cooker, Instant Pot, or Stovetop
Our family loves Mexican-inspired recipes, and having an easy one-pot Mexican meal that can be made in your slow cooker, pressure cooker, or on the stovetop is just the ticket. Chicken enchilada soup is the perfect solution for cooking on a busy weeknight!
To get the soup cooking, you literally dump your chicken, soup, and sauce in and cook all day. Later, you add the half and half and cheeses to melt. So easy
Low Carb and Keto Soup
This is a deliciously creamy low-carb and keto chicken enchilada soup. There are no added carbs from tortillas, beans, or corn in this soup.
You can use heavy cream or half in half in this recipe. The rest of the fat mainly comes from the chicken, cream cheese, and Monterey jack. This makes for a creamy, cheesy, and very hearty soup.
Using chicken thighs instead of chicken breast will increase healthy fat, as well. To decrease the protein you can use less chicken.
fat 19.7g | net carbs 5.5g | protein 30.8g
Ingredients and Tools
Here is what you will need to make creamy chicken enchilada soup in your slow cooker or Instant Pot:
See the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the full ingredient list, quantities, and instructions. 🙂
- Chicken breasts or thighs
- Green enchilada sauce - use 1 recipe of our homemade green enchilada sauce (it's so delicious and easy to make) or a 28 oz can of store-bought!
- Chicken broth
- Half and half (or heavy cream)
- Monterey jack cheese
- Cream cheese, cubed and softened
- Green salsa (salsa verde)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: avocado, green onion, sour cream, cilantro
How To Make Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add chicken breast or thighs, green enchilada sauce, and chicken broth. Cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Add half and half, jack cheese, cream cheese, and green salsa. Turn the crockpot to warm and stir until the cheeses are melted.
- Add chicken back to the pot.
- Use hot sauce or additional salsa to taste. Delicious topped with avocado, cilantro, green onion, and sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
Here are a few extra tips for making sure that your green chicken enchilada soup comes out perfect:
- To add heat, use more green salsa or a green chili hot sauce.
- Make sure your cream cheese is very soft before adding it to the soup. Cold cream cheese will not melt very well. You can even soften it in the microwave before adding it to the soup.
- For best "meltability" (yes, I made up a new word), always grate your own cheese. Pre-packaged grated cheese is coated in potato starch, which helps prevent sticking in the package. Unfortunately, this also keeps it from melting very well.
Can I make this soup in an Instant Pot?
Yes. Here's how to make Instant Pot Green Enchilada Chicken Soup:
- Cook your chicken on high pressure with 1 cup of broth for 8 minutes. Do a quick release after 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Set Instant Pot to saute medium, and add remaining broth, shredded chicken, green enchilada sauce, salsa, and heat until warm.
- Add cheese and remaining ingredients. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!
Can I make green enchiladas soup on my stovetop?
Yes! Here's how to make Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup on your stovetop:
- In a large stockpot, add chicken and broth.
- Simmer until the chicken is done and can easily be pulled apart.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Add shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, half and half, jack cheese, cream cheese, and green salsa to the pot. Stir and heat soup until it is warm and the cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with additional green salsa, hot sauce, and sour cream on the side. Enjoy!
What is the difference between green enchilada sauce and red enchilada sauce?
Red enchilada sauce is made with red tomatoes, red chili peppers, onions, and other spices. Green enchilada sauce is made with green chili peppers and green tomatillos, onion, and other seasonings.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes. This soup can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe, airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat slow. Fats from the dairy may become separated; add additional milk or cream as needed.
What is green enchilada sauce made of?
Typically green enchilada sauce is made of spicy and mild green chili peppers, tomatillos, onion, garlic, cumin, and other seasonings.
Can I lower the fat in this recipe?
Yes. You can use fat-free half and half and you can reduce the cheese to 1 cup without sacrificing taste.
How can I increase the fat in this recipe?
Adding olive oil and additional cheese will increase the fat in this recipe. You can also use heavy cream in place of half and half. Topping the soup with avocado and sour cream will also increase the fat.
Mexican Soup Recipes
Here are a few of my favorite Mexican inspired soup recipes:
More Soup Recipes
More delicious soup recipes I think you'll LOVE:
- Instant Pot Low Carb and Keto Chicken Soup
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup with Beer Brats (Keto Instant Pot Recipe)
- Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- Easy Tomato and Basil Soup (Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Soup)
- Easy Pumpkin Soup Recipe (Low Carb and Keto Pumpkin Soup)
⭐ Stay Connected
If you tried Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup, be sure to let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Creamy green enchiladas chicken soup is so tasty and easy to make in your Instant Pot or crockpot. Chicken enchilada soup is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. Easily adapted Instant Pot recipe so you've got even more options. A perfect Mexican recipe for taco Tuesdays! The best keto soup! #keto #mexican #soup #tacotuesday #slowcooker #crockpot #lowcarb #sugarfree #healthychicken #instantpot #chicken #chickensoup #dinneridea #healthyrecipe #enchiladas #souprecipe #easyrecipe