Fall apart eye of round roast is literally all that - tender, flavorful, and fall apart! Slowly braised in tomato and red wine beef gravy with mushrooms, onions, and carrots - a must-make!
You'll ❤️ Fall apart eye of round roast
"A melt in your mouth eye round roast the whole family will love - the perfect Sunday supper!"
Oh the gravy. One of my favorite parts about this recipe is the delicious smoky sweet gravy it creates from its juices, beef stock, red wine, and extra seasonings. Goes well with crusty bread or mashed vegetables.
Tender! Even though a round of eye roast is a lean cut of meat, it can easily be braised low and slow and will ultimately end up super tender and fall apart in your mouth! 🙂
🥘 What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients and equipment you will need to make this fall apart eye of round roast :
Olive Oil or Butter - use olive oil or butter or a combination of both.
Pot Roast Seasoning - I highly recommend my pot roast seasoning as it's easy and much healthier than what you can find in your local store. If you prefer you can also substitute a packaged seasoning mix or even beef onion soup mix.
Beef Round of Eye Roast
Baby Bella Mushrooms - you can also use white mushrooms.
Garlic - fresh chopped garlic or jarred garlic will do just fine.
Herbes de Provence Seasoning - this is an unsalted herb blend you can easily find in the grocery store.
Beef Stock or Broth
Red Wine - we used cabernet sauvignon but any favorite wine will do, including a sweet wine!
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Equipment and tools needed to make this round of eye pot roast recipe:
- 6-8 Quart Dutch Oven - with a tight lid
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measure Spoons
- Large Wooden Spoon
- Large Tongs
- Can Opener
🔪 How to Make It
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making fall apart eye of round roast:
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
Sprinkle the roast with pot roast seasoning mix. Be sure to cover all sides.
Heat your butter in your dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Once your pan is hot and the butter is bubbling, you can place the roast in the pan and sear all sides for 5 to 6 minutes.
Once all sides are seared, transfer the roast to a plate. ( You will add this back after the remaining ingredients are cooked).
Add the mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic to the dutch oven and saute for 5 to 6 minutes.
Add the beef broth, cabernet sauvignon, tomato paste, and herbes de Provence.
Stir until the tomato paste has entirely dissolved.
Place the seared round of eye roast in the dutch oven and place the cover on tightly.
Put the dutch oven into the preheated oven for 2 hours. Turn the roast oven after 2 hours then continue cooking in the oven for another 1-1/2 hours or until easily pulls apart.
Add more beef broth and adjust seasoning if needed.
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve pot roast recipe:
- Serve in a bowl over the vegetables, then top with gravy.
- Garnish with chives, green onion, or parsley.
- This dish goes great with rice, bread, mashed or roasted - potatoes, cauliflower, or sweet potatoes.
Meal idea! Serve over buttery mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower with this blue cheese wedge salad and crusty bread.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Substitute chuck roast, rib roast, or a brisket roast. You could also use a pork butt roast.
- Use different vegetables. You could replace fresh onion with frozen pearl onions and add potatoes. If you add potatoes be sure to add at least 1/2 cup more beef broth as they will absorb moisture.
- Use Italian seasoning instead of the French herbes de Provence.
💭 Top Tips
- Once the roast is cooked, please remove it from the dutch oven and allow it to rest for 15 minutes before cutting to help the roast re-absorb the juices!
- If the gravy ends up too thick, or too much liquid is lost in the braising process, add more beef broth.
How to store it
Let the roast cool before placing it into an air-tight container for leftovers. You will want to store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to reheat it
The easiest way to reheat this roast is in the microwave in individual portions. Cook covered on low power for 1 to 2 minutes until warmed through, stirring halfway through.
How to freeze it
Freeze your leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 6 months! I recommend dating your container on a piece of tape to track the length of time in the freezer.
Because round of eye roast is extra-lean it can be tough if not cooked properly. It is best roasted in the oven until it reaches medium-rare and is still sliceable, or in a slow cooker or braised slowly until it is fall-apart tender. This cut of meat can easily be cooked and is best cooked low and slow.
Round of eye roasts are good for slow cooked or braised pot roast recipes. You can also marinate 24 hours before then roast in the oven. If cooked to medium rare it is still quite tender. Leftovers can be used in soups, stew, casseroles, and even beef hash.
✔️ More Beef Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious recipe with beef, check these out:
- How To Cook A Prime Rib Roast (Prime Rib Recipe)
- Italian Beef Roast Crock Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Mongolian Beef and Broccoli
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup
⭐ Let's Connect
Fall Apart Eye of Round Roast
- 1 4 to 6-quart Dutch oven (with lid)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons pot roast seasoning
- 2 ½ pounds eye of round roast
- 16 ounce bag of baby carrots
- 8 ounces bella or white mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 large sweet onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon dried herbes de Provence
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cups red wine (we used cabernet sauvignon)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Season the eye of round roast, covering all sides with the pot roast seasoning.
- Heat the butter in dutch oven on medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, and the butter begins to bubble, sear the roast on all sides for 5 to 6 minutes then transfer it to a plate.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic to the pot and saute about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add beef broth, cabernet sauvignon, tomato paste, and herbes de Provence. Stir until the tomato paste has dissolved.
- Place the roast back in the dutch oven and cover with a lid.
- Braise in the oven for 2 hours. Turn roast over then cover and return to the oven for anoth 1½ hours or until the roast is fall apart tender.
- Season to taste
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Substitute a chuck, rib roast, a brisket roast, pork butt, or pork shoulder.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve over mashed potatoes, riced cauliflower, or egg noodles. Garnish with sour cream, chopped scallions, or parsley.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™