Chipotle seasoning is a fantastic blend of 8 seasonings and spices, including a "secret ingredient" that will surprise you! This amazing combination of spices drives the sweetness, heat, and smokiness in this all-in-one seasoning mix. Use it as a marinade, general seasoning, or dry rub - anywhere you want a smoky chipotle Tex-Mex flair!
❤️ Why You'll Love This
"Not only does this chipotle seasong mix taste delicious the smell is is off the charts amazing too! Only 5 minutes and 1 step (toss it all in a bowl) - it's a super simple way to really pack smoky, spicy, sweet flavor into your dish!"
Who knew that making your own homemade chipotle seasoning could be so simple? This chipotle seasoning proves that five minutes of measuring and mixing a few spices into a mixing bowl is not only super easy - but results in something unique and tasty!
Since it's so easy, be sure to make extra! You can store this chipotle spice mix for up to 12 months in an airtight container.
As simple as making homemade blended seasoning is, you can start experimenting in the kitchen and make your own delicious blends!
This seasoning is so delicious it will probably become one of your top go-to seasonings. You will love the taste it will give to your dishes.
This chipotle spice mix has a sweet, smoky, and medium spice profile from the interesting yet unique spices.
Making your own seasoning mixes at home is much healthier - you know what you are putting in it, can control the salt level, the spiciness, and there will be no "unpronounceable" ingredients (aka chemicals and preservatives).
- This chipotle seasoning is gluten free, low carb, keto, vegan, sugar free, and dairy free.
- Watching your salt intake? No problem. Feel free to remove as much or as little salt you prefer from the mix. As mentioned above, you may want to try Himalayan sea salt which is richer in minerals (not lower in salt though), or you could try potassium salt which is lower in salt..
How To Use Chipotle Seasoning
You can use chipotle seasoning in so many ways! Here are just a few ideas:
- As dry rub on beef roasts or steaks, chicken breasts or thighs, pork roasts and ribs, and just about any vegetables.
- Use as a marinade. Add about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of the seasoning in with a 5 to 6 cloves of minced garlic, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of worcestershire. Cover your protein and marinate your heart out.
- As a seasoning. Do you like your french fries seasoned? Why not keep a shaker of house chipotle seasoning at the dinner table. Instead of using salt and pepper on your proteins or vegetables, jazz up the meal with some chipotle seasoning.
- Use in soups and/or chilis.
- You may also season dips, sauces, and casseroles too!
- I love using this seasoning as a rub for my smoked pork shoulder that I make for company. The slow, low heat of the smoker impacts the flavor of the rub and drives the flavor much more into the protein.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this chipotle seasoning mix:
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Kosher Salt
- Seasoning Salt - Often used for chicken, french fries, and fried foods, seasoning salt brings depth to this chipotle mix because it contains many flavorings including chili peppers, parika, and tumeric.
- Chinese Five Spice - Yep. It's our "secret ingredient"! While it's typically used in Asian cuisine, I promise that you will love it's flavor. It has a sweet, yet warm, licorice flavor with a bit of spiciness. Chinese five spice contains: star anise, cloves, cinnamon, fennel, and sichuan peppercorns.
- Chipotle Chili Powder - Is a mildly spicy seasoning made with dried and smoked jalapeno peppers.
- Smoked Paprika - Is very tame in heat due to the mild peppers used to smoke and be dried over oak fires. These peppers get very smoky in flavor, yet sweeten in time.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Oregano - A woody perrenial plant used in Spanish and Latin American cuisines to bring earthiness.
Equipment and tools needed to make this seasoning:
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to your Chipotle Seasoning:
- For those who would prefer only a little spice, I have found that chili powder makes a very nice substitute for the chipotle powder. It is much less smoky in flavor, but will definitely come through for those picky eaters.
- For more sweetness, add 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
- A quick way to add more spice is to use red pepper flakes.
- Need to double or triple this? No problem! Use the recipe card below to double or triple with a click of a button.
Here's how to make this Chipotle Seasoning:
By the way, it takes longer to find the spices in your cabinet than it does to make this seasoning. Or maybe that's just my spice cabinet? LOL! 🙂
For complete instructions, please see the printable recipe card below.
Measure and Assemble
Add measured ingredients to a small mixing bowl.
Whisk spices together until thoroughly mixed.
Serve and Store
Use as a rub or seasoning on proteins, vegetables, or on dishes such as casseroles, soups, or chilis - anywhere you want to add the chipotle style.
Store any extras in an airtight container.
- When making a seasoning mix, always use the freshest seasonings, spices, and dried herbs as possible - especially if you plan on making extra to store and use later.
- If you enjoy this seasoning and want to make a larger batch: it makes approximately 6 ounces. You can double, triple, or quadruple to whatever quanitty you need. For convenience, use the ingredient multiplier in the recipe card. Store the spice mix in airtight jars or containers for up to 1 year.
- Feel free to use an aggressive amount of seasoning when you rub your proteins, as the salt content is half the amount than that of the other seasonings.
Can I substitute other dried pepper powders?
Yes, you may, but do remember that chipotle powder has a very specific taste profile. Using different dried pepper powders will result in a different taste.
How long can I store my chipotle Seasoning?
This chipotle seasoning will stay fresh for up to 12 months if you store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
How can I make chipotle seasoning mix less spicy?
To make this chipotle seasoning less spicy:
- Start by halving the chipotle powder and after finishing the recipe, give it a taste. Add more spice if needed. Remember, you can always add more but you can't take it out.
- If you used less chipotle powder, the seasoning may have less of a smoky taste. You can increase the smokiness by adding extra smoked paprika.
How can I make this seasoning mix spicier?
To add an extra punch of heat to this seasoning, here are my suggestions:
- Add more chipotle powder.
- Try a small amount of red pepper flakes (a little goes a long way).
- Add a little habanero pepper powder - that would most definitely drive that spiciness home for those who can handle it!
✔️ More Mexican Seasoning Recipes
Are you looking for more amazing Tex-Mex seasoning recipes? Check these out:
⭐ Let's Connect
If you have tried this Chipotle Seasoning, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Chipotle Seasoning Mix Recipe
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon oregano (dried)
- Add all ingredients to a bowl. Whisk spices together.
- Use as a dry rub, marindade, or general seasoningon your favorite protein, or in your favorite recipse. Store any unused portion in an air-tight container for seceral months.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- SUBSTITUTIONS: This recipe is more of a medium spice. For less spice use less chipotle powder and increase the smoked paprika slightly. For more spice, add more chipotle powder or add red pepper flake. With red pepper flakes, you can adjust the heat without compromising the flavor of the seasoning/recipe.
- TOP TIPS: For best flavor, always use the freshest seasoning, herbs, and spices, especially if you are making extra for use later. If stored in an airtight container in a dry pantry, this can keep up to 1 year.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve on beef, chicken, pork, and seafood. Also, try it on french fries, in sour cream to make a spicy dip, or on a favorite vegetable! Use in soups and casseroles.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™