How to make blue cheese dressing for the most rich and creamy, delicious salad dressing EVER. Start with a good blue cheese and fresh ingredients (only 7) - you won't believe how something that's so quick and simple, is that TASTY!
- Watch: How to Make The Best Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- Why You'll Love This Blue Cheese Dressing
- What is Blue Cheese Dressing?
- Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients
- How To Make Blue Cheese Dressing
- How to use Blue Cheese Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe Variations
- Top Tips for The Best Blue Cheese Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dressing FAQs
- ✔️ More Salad Dressing Recipes
- 📋 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
Watch: How to Make The Best Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
Why You'll Love This Blue Cheese Dressing
"An easy blue cheese dressing that is so fresh and delicious you'll wonder why you've been buying bottled dressing all these years!" 😉 -Kori
It's Delicious and Healthy
There is no bottled dressing that tastes as good as homemade blue cheese dressing. You can feel good about serving this healthy salad dressing - there are no preservatives, chemicals, or unpronounceable ingredients!
Simple and Easy
This is seriously the best blue cheese dressing. Not only does it taste phenomenal - it is super easy to make and tastes WAY better than store-bought dressings. I will never buy blue cheese again.
Keto Salad Dressing
Is blue cheese dressing keto? Yes! This is a perfect low carb blue cheese dressing and works perfectly if you're following a keto diet. With only 1.2 g net carbs you are gonna love this!
14.9 g fat | 4.1 g protein | 1.2 g net carbs
What is Blue Cheese Dressing?
Homemade blue cheese dressing is made of blue cheese crumbles, sour cream, heavy cream (or sometimes buttermilk), usually vinegar or lemon juice, salt, pepper, and some favorite herbs. The ingredients vary with each recipe. Of course, bottled dressing contains a lot of preservatives.
Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this homemade blue cheese dressing recipe:
- Crumbled Blue Cheese - use any favorite American blue cheese, other common types such as an English stilton, French roquefort, or Italian gorgonzola.
- Sour Cream - regular, fat free, or low fat can be used.
- Heavy Cream - all heavy cream can be used or combine it with a lower fat half and half.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar - apple cider vinegar or lemon juice can also be used.
- Garlic - fresh garlic has the best flavor, but in a pinch, garlic powder can be used.
- Fresh Chives - for best flavor use fresh chives. Dried chives can be used if fresh are unavailable. It is best to let the dressing refrigerate for the flavors to blend if you use dried.
- Kosher Salt - sea salt and table salt can be used, add it to taste. Less salt has been used in this recipe to start with and should be added to your taste preferences.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make Blue Cheese Dressing
Here's how to make blue cheese dressing - you won't believe how good it is. 🙂
Prep all ingredients.
In a small bowl, mix blue cheese crumbles, sour cream, heavy cream, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, chives, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
To add more tang use more vinegar.
If the dressing is too thick for your liking, use milk to thin the dressing further.
Serve immediately over lettuce or a wedge salad - or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
How to use Blue Cheese Dressing
Here are a few ways to serve this homemade blue cheese dressing recipe:
Besides being a perfect dressing for loose-leaf lettuce, it makes a wonderful blue cheese wedge salad - add crispy bacon, diced tomatoes, chives, and anything else you think you'd like. A wedge salad can be made with iceberg lettuce or even romaine.
Meal idea! Serve a fresh green salad and this dressing as a topping for a pan-seared ribeye steak. It makes a fantastic sauce for steaks!
It makes a fabulous dip for raw vegetables, salty chips, and even fries!
Drizzle it on a loaded baked potato with butter, bacon, and cheese.
Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe Variations
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Lower the fat by using less heavy cream and adding fat-free half and half. Fat-free or low-fat sour cream can also be used.
- Use crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola. Feta cheese or goat cheese can also be substituted.
- Add a little Worcestershire sauce.
- Garlic powder can be used instead of raw garlic.
- Additional fresh herbs may be used such as fresh parsley, thyme, etc.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Increase the tang with more vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add spice with some red pepper flakes.
Top Tips for The Best Blue Cheese Dressing
- Dressing can be served right away or refrigerated to blend flavor.
- Adjust any ingredient to your preferences - make it thick or thin, tangier, add more or less blue cheese, and adjust the salt and pepper if you like.
- The dressing will thicken once refrigerated. Add additional cream, milk, or half and a half until it reaches the desired consistency. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
Blue Cheese Dressing FAQs
YES! Blue cheese dressing is keto. This is a perfect low carb blue cheese dressing and works perfectly if you're following a keto diet. With 14.9 g fat, 4.1 g protein, and 1.2 g net carbs you are gonna love this!
Yes, substitute equal parts heavy cream or buttermilk.
Blue cheese is very low in carbs. 1 ounce has only 0.7 g carbs/net carbs. It is perfect if you are following a low carbohydrate or keto diet.
Lot's of things go well with blue cheese dressing! Salad, of course, is the first thought! Blue cheese goes really well with beef, so any roast or steak is amazing with blue cheese dressing. It's also perfect as a dip for veggies or classic buffalo wings, and a topping for potatoes and fries.
You can lower the fat of this blue cheese dressing by using low-fat sour cream, you can reduce the heavy cream slightly and substitute some half-and-half or milk. Too much half-and-half or milk will make it runny so add slowly.
✔️ More Salad Dressing Recipes
Here are more delicious salad dressings I think you might like:
- Catalina French Salad Dressing (Sugar Free)
- Low Carb Keto Italian Dressing Recipe
- Thousand Island Dressing (Keto & Low Carb)
- Avocado Dressing (Vegan Salad Dressing)
- Authentic Tzatziki Recipe (Keto Low Carb)
- Keto Ranch Dressing | by Hidden Valley Ranch
Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
- 6 ounces blue cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chives
- pinch of salt and pepper adjust to taste
- In a small bowl mix blue cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, chives, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. If the dressing is too thick use milk until the desired consistency is reached.
- The dressing will thicken once refrigerated. Add additional cream, milk, or half and half until it reaches the desired consistency. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
This homemade blue cheese dressing recipe is so easy to make and tastes SO much better than bottled store-bought. This dressing is low carb and a keto salad dressing recipe too. An easy recipe that is perfect for your next salad. Bleu cheese dressing makes a great dip for veggies and chicken wings, and a topping for steak, YUM! #bluecheesedressing #saladdressing #ketosaladdressing #keto #lowcarb #bluecheese #easyrecipe #salad
Leave a Reply