20+ best chaffle recipes to make today! From savory to sweet, breakfast to dinner, and dessert - we've got you covered. Chaffles are super popular low carb and keto recipe for a reason - they're easy, taste amazing, and are a perfect substitution for bread.
Watch: How to make Keto Chaffles
What Is A Chaffle?
A chaffle is a low carb and keto take on traditional waffles but made with egg and cheese and cooked in a waffle iron. There are many delicious variations of cheese waffles, from sweet to savory, that you can enjoy!
What Is the Difference Between a Waffle and a Chaffle?
A basic chaffle is made with egg and cheese. A waffle is traditionally flour based. Those following keto have adapted the basic waffle recipe using almond or coconut flour.
In many cases, the waffle and a chaffle will have similar ingredients so the terms are used interchangeably.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
Why You Will ❤️ Chaffles
The Perfect Bread Replacement
Bread is a hard thing to give up, so whenever delicious recipes come along that gives you a taste and feel for bread, everyone's going to get excited - include me!
Easy To Make
It's so easy to make chaffles! With a basic recipe only having egg and cheese and cooked in a waffle iron a it couldn't be any easier to make!
Perfect For Any Meal
Enjoy a chaffle for any meal! From sweet to savory, there are unlimited possibilities for making.
Low Carb and Keto Waffles
Although there are many many variations on how to make a chaffle, the basic is just egg and cheese - it is therefore keto-friendly and low carb.
Fix these any way you want that you know your family will love. Kids love chaffles!
How to serve a Keto Chaffle
Once you have the basic foundation, there are so many ways to serve basic keto chaffle recipe!
Wrap chaffles around a cooked hot dog, bratwurst, chicken sausage, or Italian sausage.
Replace a hamburger bun or sandwich bread with two keto chaffles for a very tasty low carb option.
A cheese waffle makes a perfect pizza crust and top with sauce and your favorite pizza toppings. See below for instructions!
Make a breakfast sandwich with an egg, cheese, and ham or sausage.
Add bagel seasoning or garlic and parmesan to make garlic parmesan chaffles.
How To Make A Chaffle
This classic basic chaffle recipe can be used in many of the below recipes - it's super easy to make!
- Small 6 to 8" Waffle Iron or a Mini Waffle Iron (Dash Mini Waffle Maker) - note that a mini waffle maker will make 2 small waffles, and a regular waffle iron with make 1.
- Small Bowl
- Freshly Shredded Cheese - use cheddar cheese, mozzarella, jack, pepper cheese. Freshly grated cheese melts better than pre-grated cheeses.
For exact ingredient quantities and full instructions, please see the printable recipe card below.
Preheat waffle iron to the highest setting.
In a small bowl add shredded cheese and mix well.
Pour mixture into the waffle iron and cook until the outside reached your desired crispiness. Serves 1 person
Note: if using a mini waffle iron this recipe will make 2 chaffles. If using a standard waffle iron, this will make one.
Easy Chaffles Recipe
Here are five super easy chaffle recipes that I make on a regular basis! Each recipe is a variation of the basic chaffle above. I hope you give them all a try! 🙂
Check out these chaffle recipes and get inspired! All recipes are low-carb, gluten-free, and ketogenic - with no sugar added.
So delicious! The addition of cumin and chili powder into the chaffle batter is a fun and delicious idea!
Super simple and extra cheesy. Very similar to my egg crust pizza only with cheese added into the crust. So good!!
- Basic Chaffle Recipe - see the recipe card and use shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Pizza Sauce - if following a keto diet, make sure it is sugar-free.
- Mozzarella Cheese - freshly grated
- Pepperoni - use bacon, ham, Italian sausage, or any other favorite.
- Optional - use any favorite pizza toppings.
Preheat oven to broil. Make your basic chaffle according to the instruction above, using mozzarella cheese and Italian seasoning.
Place chaffle on a small baking sheet or pizza pan. Top with pizza sauce, then mozzarella, then pepperoni. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Be careful not to burn! Serves 1
BBQ Pulled Pork Chaffles
This recipe may be keto-friendly, but it is family-friendly too. My family went nuts over this!
- Basic Chaffle Recipe - see recipe card (mini or standard size)
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork - use 1 serving per keto waffle. The recipe is super easy!
- Optional For Serving - keto barbecue sauce and coleslaw.
Make basic cheese waffles according to the recipe card. Top with warm BBQ pulled pork and coleslaw. Drool-worthy for sure! Serves 1
Sloppy Joe Chaffles
Sloppy joes made in the slow cooker topped on a delicious classic chaffle is the BEST and very kid friendly!
Make your basic chaffle according to the instructions above. Top with warm sloppy joe mixture and coleslaw. Oh my gosh- so good! Serves 1
Instant Pot Brats on a Chaffle Bun
An easy way to cook bratwurst is in an InstantPot/pressure cooker - and it takes only a few minutes! Brats wrapped in a chaffle bun - Heaven!
- 5 Chaffles - made with cheddar cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) Package Bratwurst - any favorite flavor (regular, beer, jalapeno, etc)
- 1 cup Water - broth or even low carb beer can also be used.
Set bratwurst in Instant Pot, add 1 cup water and secure lid. Select High pressure, 5 minutes cook time. Once cooking is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for approximately 7 to 8 minutes, then do a quick pressure release. Once the valve drops, carefully remove the lid. Leave brats in the pot until chaffles are ready.
This is optional, but you can pop the brats on the grill to get the nice grill marks and charbroil taste if you like!
Make your basic chaffle according to the instructions above. Because these are wrapped around the brat like a bun you don't want these too crispy. They are done when they are slightly crispy outside, but still flexible. Serve wrapped in a warm chaffle. Top with favorite ingredients - sauerkraut, mustard, ketchup, mayo, etc. Serves 5
Tip: make your chaffles while the brats are cooking. Keep them warm in the oven until ready for use.
More Chaffle Recipe Ideas
Here are popular chaffle recipes from your favorite bloggers! From sweet to savory, breakfast to dinner, and dessert - all the keto recipes you need!
Depending upon which recipe you are making you may need a belgian waffle maker and additional ingredients such as baking soda or baking powder, coconut flour, almond flour, cream cheese, butter and sugar free syrup, etc.
- Savory Chaffle | by Copy Me That
- Keto French Dip Chaffles | by Kasey Trenum
- Corn Dog Chaffle Recipe | by Low Carb Inspirations
- Keto Chocolate Chip Chaffle | by Kasey Trenum
- Keto Vanilla Twinkie Chaffle | by Low Carb Inspirations
Keto Breakfast Chaffles
- Cinnamon Roll Chaffles | by Stay Snatched
- Egg and Cheese Hashbrown Waffles | by Yellow Bliss Road
- Chaffles Benedict | by Cluttered Kitchen
- Pumpkin Chaffles | by Keto Focus
Keto Dinner Chaffles
- Oreo Keto Chaffle | by Butter Together Kitchen
- Keto Whoopie Chaffle | by Low Carb With The Carrs
- Keto Lemon Chaffle | by Low Carb Inspirations
- Pumpkin Pie Chaffle | by Yellow Glass Dish
Chaffles can be refrigerated or frozen up to 4 months if stored in an airtight container or freezer safe bag. If you have multiple to freeze, separate each one with parchment paper. Place in a toaster to reheat and crisp when ready to serve.
Chaffle Recipe FAQs
There are 2 grams of carbs in a chaffle.
Chaffles can be enjoyed the next day by reheating in a toaster or air fryer to crisp them up.
A basic chaffle is made of only 2 ingredients - an egg and shredded cheddar cheese.
Chaffles will be soggy if they are not cooked long enough. Properly cooked chaffles will be golden and slightly crispy on the outside but will remain somewhat flexible and not totally crisp on the inside - but they should never be soggy.
A basic chaffle made of an egg and cheese has 19 grams of protein.
More from Seeking Good Eats
Basic Keto Chaffles
- 1 small 6" to 8" waffle maker (makes 1 larger waffle)
- or, mini waffle maker (A dash mini waffle maker, makes 2 waffles)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup freshly grated cheddar cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or jack cheese are all fine)
- Note: if using a mini waffle iron this recipe will make 2 chaffles. If using a standard waffle iron, this will make one.
- Preheat waffle iron to the highest setting.
- In a small bowl add grated cheese and mix well.
- Pour mixture over the center of the hot waffle maker and close lid.
- Cook until the outside is to your desired crispiness.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: See our post above for making taco, pizza, instant pot bratwurst, bbq pulled pork, and sloppy joe chaffles - plus more!
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Use as a bun for sandwiches, sloppy joes, tacos, burgers, hot dogs, and brats.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™