This pan-seared lamb steak recipe is fantastic! Tender lamb infused with Greek-inspired flavors then seared in a skillet in just a matter of minutes! Super easy. This recipe is gluten free, low carb, and keto.
❤️ This Lamb Steak Recipe
"One. Lamb has so much flavor. Two. Other than make the marinade these only take less than 8 minutes to cook! On a busy night what else could you ask for? (Besides a glass of wine, that is)" 🙂 - Kori
Lamb steaks in a matter of minutes - like less than 8 minutes of cooking time. Now that's quick!
I like to make the marinade the day before then add the lamb steaks so they are well flavored before I pan-sear them.`
This recipe is gluten-free, low carb, keto, and dairy-free - with no added sugar. Balance this meal with vegetables and you have the perfect healthy dinner for your family.
🥗 How To Serve
Ways to serve your lamb steaks:
- Serve with a side of steamed or roasted vegetables and some mashed potatoes or cauliflower.
- Lamb pairs well with a salad. Try this Greek Salad, or a fresh green salad with Creamy Dill Salad Dressing or Tzatziki Sauce.
🥘 What You'll Need
Here's what you'll need to make this pan-seared lamb steak recipe:
Lamb Leg Steaks - I used 1/2-inch thick lamb leg steaks.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Equipment and tools needed to make this recipe:
- 12" Skillet - my favorite pan to use is my 12" cast-iron skillet.
- Measuring Cup
- Instant Read Thermometer
🔪 How To Make
Here's how to make this pan-seared lamb steak recipe:
Prepare your marinade and gather your equipment.
Place lamb steaks in a shallow bowl or a plastic bag.
Pour the marinade over the top of the meat and place in the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes up to 24 hours.
Pan-Sear Lamb Steaks
Preheat oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat.
Place steaks in the pan and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side until lamb reaches your desired doneness. Note: if the pan gets too hot be sure to reduce the heat.
Remove steaks from the skillet and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes then serve.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to your pan-seared lamb steak recipe:
- Use lamb chops, lamb shoulder, or lamb leg steaks. If you have steaks or chops that are thicker than 1/2 inch - adjust cooking time and use a thermometer to test doneness. You will need to sear both sides at a higher temperature for about 1 minute 30 seconds minutes then reduce the heat.
- Skip the marinade and just season generously with salt and pepper.
- Season the lamb steaks with our dry rub then sear.
- Give your steaks a Tex-Mex flavor and sprinkle with a little chipotle seasoning.
💭 Top Tips
- Make-ahead tip: make the marinade and marinate the lamb the day before. Voila! All that's left is to pan-sear the lamb on the day you want to serve it.
How to Store
To store leftover steaks, let them cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. See reheating instructions below.
Reheat slowly in a microwave on 50% power or in an air fryer set at 325-degrees F until it is warm enough to your liking.
Can you cook lamb steaks in a frying pan?
Yes, absolutely. Cook your lamb steaks in a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of oil for 3 to 4 minutes per side over medium-high heat.
Are lamb steaks tough?
No, lamb is actually very tender meat. If your lamb steaks are tough it's more than likely because they were overcooked. Avoid overcooking by using an instant-read thermometer to test doneness. Remove lamb when your desired doneness is reached. Use the following chart as a guide:
Lamb Temperature Doneness Chart
- rare 120°
- med rare 125°
- medium 135°
- medium well 145° (USDA recommended)
- well done 155°
✔️ More Lamb Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious lamb recipes, check these out:
- Air Fryer Lamb Chops Recipe
- The Best Greek Burger (Gyro Burger)
- Lamb Stew (Instant Pot)
- Lamb Mince Shepherd's Pie
- Easy Lamb Korma
⭐ Let's Connect
Did you try one of my recipes and love it? Let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a 5-star rating and a comment 🙂
Pan-Seared Lamb Steak Recipe
- 16 to 18 ounces lamb leg steaks (½" thick)
- ½ cup lamb marinade
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Prepare your marinade and gather your equipment.
- Place lamb steaks in a shallow bowl or a plastic bag.
- Pour the marinade over the top of the meat and place in the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place steaks in the pan and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side until lamb reaches your desired doneness. Note: if the pan gets too hot be sure to reduce the heat.
- Remove steaks from the skillet and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes then serve.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use any lamb marinade, dry rub, or seasoning that you choose
- TOP TIPS: Marinate for a minimum of 2 hours up to 24 hours; use a thermometer to test doneness.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with a side of vegetables or a green salad.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™