This crockpot pot roast is so easy to make! With a blend of Italian-inspired flavors, mushrooms, onions, diced tomatoes, and a delicious tender chuck roast slow-cooked in a rich and delicious beef gravy - you're gonna love it. (P.S. Instructions for making in a slow cooker or Instant Pot are provided! ;))
Why You'll Love This Crockpot Roast
There are so many reasons to love this crockpot pot roast recipe. Besides being easy to make, it's a great kid-friendly dinner, can be made ahead of time, and it's low carb and keto approved! Yay!
Easy Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Recipe. This is an easy pot roast recipe! This recipe's slow cooker version is a dump-and-go, fix-and-forget recipe. The instant pot version is still easy, but there are a couple more steps to work through.
Family Dinner. This crockpot pot roast is the perfect kid-friendly dinner idea! Serve with their favorite vegetable and a side of pasta with marinara - or pasta with butter, parmesan, salt & pepper.
Meal Prep and Freezable. You can prep this recipe ahead of time! I love to throw all my ingredients in the crockpot over the weekend and then keep in the fridge for a Tuesday or Wednesday easy weeknight dinner. After cooking, this recipe is freezable!
Low Carb and Keto. This chuck roast recipe is gluten-free, low-carb, keto-friendly, and has no added sugar. It's the perfect recipe for the whole family as it tastes wonderful, so everyone will enjoy it - even if they're not following a special diet.
Pot Roast Slow Cooker Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make slow cooker pot roast!
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
- Sweet Onion: use a yellow or red, whatever you have on hand.
- Mushrooms: I rotate between a standard button mushroom and baby bellas.
- Boneless Beef Chuck Roast
- Canned Diced Tomatoes with Basil Garlic and Oregano: regular diced tomatoes may be used or ones with fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Tomato Paste
- Seasonings You'll Need: garlic powder, dried Italian seasoning, beef bouillon base, kosher salt, and ground black pepper.
- Thickener: cornstarch or xanthan Gum
Be sure to pin this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
How To Make Roast Beef in Crockpot
This is intended as an overview only. For detailed instructions, please see the recipe card below. Enjoy!
1. Add all ingredients to the slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until the roast is fork-tender and pulls apart easily.
3. Remove the roast. Thicken the pot juices to make gravy. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
How To Serve
Serve over riced cauliflower or a favorite vegetable if following a low carb or keto diet. Serve with pasta, mashed or roasted potatoes if not following a low carb diet.
Garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil. So good!
Here are the best tips for making slow cooker pot roast:
- Pot Roast typically becomes "fork tender" or "fall apart" at 180 degrees F. For more information, please refer to the USDA's safe minimum internal temperature guidelines.
- According to Instant Pot, a general guideline is to cook the roast 20 minutes per pound. So, a 3 lb roast for 60 minutes and a 4 pound roast for 80 minutes. Please reference the Instant Pot recommended cooking timetables for more information.
Yes. You can overcook a pot roast. An overcooked roast will be chewy, and some portions may have a very tough texture. A perfectly cooked pot roast will be fork-tender and fall-apart easily, but will also be juicy.
Using an instant-read thermometer, a fork-tender or "fall-apart" pot roast usually happens at around 180 degrees F. The minimum cooking temperature for a beef roast is 145 degrees F.
It depends upon the recipe. The crockpot version of this recipe does not need water. Enough liquids build up in the slow cooker from the meat juices, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions, that no additional liquid is needed. The Instant Pot version of this recipe needs 1 cup of liquid in order to pressure cook. You can use water, beef broth, or red wine.
A 4-pound pot roast will need to cook for approximately 8 hours to reach the desired temperature of 180 degrees F.
The minimum that beef should be cooked to is 145 degrees F. To be fork tender, a pot roast is typically cooked to a temperature of 180 degrees F.
Crockpot Pot Roast
- 6-quart slow cooker
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 8 ounces package mushrooms (sliced; I used baby bellas)
- 1 medium onion (halved then thinly sliced)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (plus extra to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper (plus extra to taste)
- optional veggies: ½ to 1 pound each baby carrots and potatoes (toss them in the bottom of the crockpot with the onions and mushrooms)
- optional for keto: add 2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil
- optional thickener: ½ teaspoon xanthan gum or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Slow Cooker Method
- Add all ingredients to the crock pot - vegetables first, beef roast on top, then tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beef bouillon granules, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and butter or olive oil (if using).
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling apart. Continue with the instructions for making gravy below if desired.
Instant Pot Method
- Dry chuck roast with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Select Saute setting, Medium. Add 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil to the pot. Sear meat on both sides until golden brown about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Set aside on plate.
- Add onions and mushrooms and saute until tender. Add roast back to the pot, then add tomatoes, tomato paste, beef bouillon, salt, pepper, 1 cup water or beef broth, italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Secure lid on pressure cooker. Set to Pressure Cooker, High for 80 minutes. When cooking is complete, use the quick release method to release steam.
To Thicken the Pot Juices
- Remove the beef roast, cover with foil and keep warm. Whisk 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water or, ½ teaspoon xanthan gum and 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Stir the mixture into the crockpot or pressure cooker. With the lid off and temperature on low (pressure cooker, saute low), continue cooking until the juices thicken to your liking. Additional thickener can be added.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Baby potatoes and carrots can be added for a complete meal. Add a spicy kick with sliced pepperoncini or red pepper flakes.
- LOW CARB AND KETO VERSION: Use 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil if desired (I usually do 3 tablespoons of each). Do not add potatoes or carrots. Use xanthan gum to thicken the pot juices.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, pasta, or riced cauliflower.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™