Steak butter is a must-make topping for your next steak! Imagine this - A juicy steak cooked to perfection with a pat of slowly melting parmesan herb garlic butter drizzling down the side. Oh my. YES, please!
- Watch how to make Garlic Butter for Steak
- Why you'll love Garlic Herb Butter for Steak
- What is Steak Butter made of?
- Garlic Butter for Steak Recipe variations
- How to Make Steak Butter
- How to serve this Garlic Butter Recipe for Steak
- Steak Butter Recipe tips
- Steak Butter Recipe storage
- Steak Butter FAQs
- More Recipes
- Garlic Butter Recipe for Steak
Watch how to make Garlic Butter for Steak
Why you'll love Garlic Herb Butter for Steak
"What I love about this butter for steaks is how simple it is to make yet it adds a punch of flavor to a steak. It's seriously good and will take your steak to a whole new level. Also, try it on popcorn, bread, baked potato, pasta too! I promise your family will LOVE this." -Kori
Tons of Flavor
Whether you serve it on filet mignon, t-bones, ribeyes, or what have you - this compound butter adds amazing flavor and moisture to the outside of your steak.
You'll love this easy steak butter. Make in only a few minutes, with eight ingredients. You'll wonder why you haven't made this before (especially when you read my "How to Serve" section below) - it's good on many many things.
Low Carb and Keto
This is a perfect low-carb and keto recipe as it adds the necessary healthy fat to offset the protein from the steak.
When you are following an eating plan you want to eat something flavorful and satisfying - this steak butter is IT.
You can find the full nutritional analysis at the bottom of the recipe card.
9.9g fat | 0.6g net carbs | 1.3g protein
Want to know what you can and can't eat on a keto plan? Check out my keto food list
What is Steak Butter made of?
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make steak butter. For exact amounts, see recipe card! 🙂
- Salted Butter
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Chives - you can also use dried
- Fresh Parsley - dried is fine too
- Fresh Thyme - dried will work.
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
What butter is best for cooking steak?
Keeping in mind that butter has a very low smoke point, so it is best to melt the butter and baste the steak instead of searing it in butter. The best butter for basting is clarified or ghee because they have less milk solids and therefore, have a higher smoke point than non clarified butter.
Garlic Butter for Steak Recipe variations
Here are a variety of ways you can make substitutions or customize your steak butter:
- Use different cheeses. Use finely grated or crumbled blue cheese, goat cheese, cheddar, any favorite cheese
- Use dried herbs or fresh herbs. My rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon of dried herbs = 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs.
- Experiment with different herb combinations.
- Try adding worcestershire sauce for a more robust flavor. Start with only 1/2 to 1 teaspoon. A little goes a long way.
- Lemon zest and lemon juice would give it a zing. Or even lime.
How to Make Steak Butter
Here's how to make steak butter. 🙂
For a printable recipe with full ingredients, see the recipe card below.
Okay, let's get to making our delicious flavored butter:
Mix All Ingredients
In a small bowl add the butter, parmesan, chives, parsley, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
Roll In Plastic Wrap
Lay butter on plastic wrap and shape into a log that is approximately 1-1/4" in diameter with flat ends.
Wrap tightly in the plastic wrap then refrigerate until it is hard (usually about 1 to 2 hours).
Divide and cut the butter into 10 parts.
Place a pat of steak butter on top of resting steaks. Loosely cover in foil and finish resting the steaks as desired.
How to serve this Garlic Butter Recipe for Steak
This unique butter recipe ain't just for steaks! There are a lot of delicious ways to serve this Steak Butter recipe:
- Let it slowly melt over a resting steak, or serve it as an already melted butter and dip the steak bites into it.
- Melt it over pasta or rice.
- Melt it over a burger.
- Slather it over corn on the cob or other favorite vegetable.
- Melt it and drizzle it on popcorn. THIS IS REALLY GOOD!!
- Serve on a baked potato, cornbread, a roll, or fresh bread.
- Brush on french bread and toast to make the most yummy garlic bread.
Steak Butter Recipe tips
- All herbs should be finely chopped.
- Cheese needs to be finely grated.
- Make extra and freeze it for later.
Steak Butter Recipe storage
Steak butter can be store for up to 1 week in the fridge but can be refrigerated up to 6 months in the freezer. Slice the butter into pats before freezing so you can easily portion out what you need.
Can I freeze Steak Butter?
Yes! You can easily freeze this. I frequently make a double batch so that I can freeze some for later. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 12 months.
How long will this Garlic Butter Recipe for steak keep?
This recipe will keep up to one week if you used fresh herbs, several weeks if you used dried herbs.
Steak Butter FAQs
There are a couple of reasons you might want to use butter for steaks. The butter gives the outside of the steak moisture. The main reason, however, is the taste. Just like someone would want to use might add steak sauce or other condiments, it adds a different flavor profile that is so delicious!
Store the garlic butter for steaks in an airtight container for up to one week, longer if you use dried herbs.
By the way, you can freeze what you don't use and pull out just the pats you need and let them thaw before using.
Yes! This recipe is keto and has only 0.6g net carbs (0.8g carbs), 9.9 grams of fat, and 1.3 grams of protein.
As you know, when eating protein it's always hard to get the right protein to fat percentages. This garlic butter for steaks is a great way to add healthy fat.
Basting provides flavor, moisture, and color without the risk of butter burning due to it’s low smoke point.
Flavored butter, any butter, adds extra moisture. Flavored butter is a great way to season with herbs, cheese, and garlic.
Many restaurants will baste a steak in butter which adds a lot of flavor, color, and moisture
Here are several sauce and seasoning recipes that you might enjoy:
- Best Fajita Seasoning Recipe
- Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix
- Copycat White Chicken Chili Seasoning Mix Recipe
- How To Make BBQ Sauce From Scratch (Sweet BBQ Sauce Recipe)
- Spicy 'n Sweet Pepper Relish (No Canning)
If you made Steak Butter, I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!