Chicken Fajita Casserole is a super delicious and EASY Mexican recipe! Full of all your favorite classic fajitas flavors, but it's a tasty casserole. Yum. Only 8 ingredients and one pan from stovetop to oven. This keto chicken fajita casserole recipe is family-friendly.
- Watch how to make Fajita Chicken Casserole
- You'll love this keto Chicken Fajita Casserole Recipe!
- Fajita Casserole ingredients
- How to make Chicken Fajita Casserole
- How to serve Fajita Casserole
- How to store Fajita Chicken Casserole
- Keto Chicken Fajitas casserole tips
- Fajita Chicken Casserole FAQs
- ✔️ More Mexican Recipes
- More Recipes You Will Love
- ⭐ Let's Connect
- Keto Chicken Fajitas Casserole
Watch how to make Fajita Chicken Casserole
You'll love this keto Chicken Fajita Casserole Recipe!
"This chicken fajita casserole recipe is amazing!! My whole family LOVED it. It will even be a hit with non-keto people. Thanks! " -Shannon, Pinterest
Classic Fajitas - But It's a Casserole
Classic stovetop fajitas turned into a delicious casserole that your whole family will love. Tender chicken with homemade fajita seasoning, blended with shredded cheese and veggies makes the perfect dinner. Serve with a side of cauliflower rice or tortillas for the rest of your family.
This easy Chicken Fajita Casserole is a perfect weeknight meal to make (weekends are good too! LOL). Only 8 ingredients, can you believe it? I think it's total comfort food. Comfort food is great during a crazy weeknight don't you think? 🙂
One Pan Skillet Dinner
While you can use any oven-proof skillet, I love to use my cast-iron skillet for this chicken fajita casserole. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, transfer to a baking dish.
Keto Chicken Recipe
With healthy fats and low carb vegetables, keto chicken fajita casserole is a great option if you follow a ketogenic diet.
You can increase healthy fat content by adding avocado or cooking in additional olive oil. You can also substitute chicken thighs for chicken breasts.
Fajita Casserole ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this healthy chicken fajita casserole.
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Thighs - boneless skinless thighs, but you can also use chicken breast too!
- Bell Peppers - use any favorite color. I love using different colors.
- Yellow Onion - While I used a yellow onion, you could also use a sweet, white, or red onion.
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning Recipe or Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe - you can use either healthy seasoning mix. I highly recommend you make your own seasoning mix - it's easy, inexpensive, and much healthier than store-bought.
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - use mild or sharp shredded cheese - whichever you prefer. Substitute pepper jack cheese if you it spicy!
- Optional for Serving: avocado slices, shredded cheese, guacamole, fresh cilantro, or salsa. Don't forget hot sauce for the spicy lovers! 🙂
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How to make Chicken Fajita Casserole
Here's how to make this easy chicken fajita casserole:
Cook The Chicken
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Preheat olive oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Saute the chicken thighs (or chicken breast) until done.
Tip: the safe cooking temperature of chicken is 165º
Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
Saute Onion and Peppers
Add onions and peppers and saute until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes, or until cooked to your desired tenderness.
Add The Seasoning
Add chicken back to the pan.
Stir in the fajita seasoning, sour cream, and cream cheese. Mix well.
Sprinkle the top with the shredded cheddar cheese and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
How Do You Cut Chicken Breast for Chicken Fajitas?
For traditional fajitas, cut chicken breast into thin 1/2" strips sliced horizontally, cutting against the grain.
Keep in mind that the smaller the pieces, the quicker they will cook so you may need to shorten your cooking time as recommended by the recipe instructions.
How to serve Fajita Casserole
Here's how to serve this easy chicken fajita casserole:
"I love this warm flavorful, slightly spicy, chicken fajita casserole balanced with the cold crisp freshness of a simple green salad. " -Kori
Meal idea! Serve chicken fajita casserole on its own, with cauliflower rice, or in flour or corn tortillas (or a low carb keto equivalent). Serve a simple fresh side salad with Avocado Dressing.
What toppings go on chicken fajitas?
Typically people top their fajitas with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa or taco sauce, and avocado slices or guacamole. Of course, this is all a personal preference!
How to store Fajita Chicken Casserole
Store any leftover fajita casserole in an airtight container up to 3 days. This recipe does not freeze well as the pepper become very watery and the dairy often separates.
Can I Freeze Chicken Fajita Casserole?
Yes, definitely! That's one of the best things about this casserole. You can portion out meals, and freeze it in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Chicken Fajita Bake makes amazing leftovers for lunch!! So much flavor and a great change-up from soup and sandwiches.
Keto Chicken Fajitas casserole tips
- Use boneless chicken thighs or breasts that have been cut into uniform sizes (approx 1" to 2" in size, or you can do 1.2" strips if you prefer)
- Cook the onions and peppers to your desired tenderness. Some people love them crisp-tender; others love them completely soft.
- Cook the chicken to 165º - the safe internal cooking temperature.
- Since most of the recipe is cooked, you only need to bake the casserole to get the cheese bubbly and heat the inside. No more, no less. 🙂 Technically, you don't even have to bake this casserole, but you won't have that nice ooey gooey melted cheese on top!
- If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, just cook chicken, peppers, and onion according to the recipe. Stir in the dairy. Put the mixture into a casserole baking dish, then top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake.
Fajita Chicken Casserole FAQs
The USDA recommends that chicken should be cooked to 165º degrees. I always check the temperature of my chicken with an instant read thermometer. Here is a link to their Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart.
Chicken fajitas are very healthy! With plenty of nutrients, healthy fat, protein, and fiber you will feel satisfied long after your meal is over.
Amazingly, each serving of this chicken fajita bake (keto low carb) has over 100% of your day's vitamin C, 35% Vitamin A, 30% zinc, 23% calcium, and is loaded with Vitamin B's! 48% Vitamin B12, 45% Vitamin B6, 44% Vitamin B3, 41% Riboflavin B2.
Where are all these vitamins coming from? Well, the fats are coming from the chicken, olive oil, cheese, and sour cream. The calcium is mostly coming from the cheese and sour cream, but the bulk of the remaining B's, Vitamin A , and Zinc, are coming from the bell peppers.
Here's a super interesting article about peppers from WebMD:
Pepper Power: Nutrition and Other Benefits
Fajitas without tortillas and contains approximately 10 grams of carbs per 1 cup serving.
✔️ More Mexican Recipes
Here are some delicious dishes to make! I've included a mix of Mexican-inspired keto chicken recipes, as well as beef, and even shrimp tacos!
- Zucchini Ground Beef Taco Casserole - one of the best taco casserole recipes!
- Chicken Fajita Soup (Crockpot + Instant Pot) - Fajita flavor packed into a heart creamy soup!
- Birria Tacos with Consommé - serve this as a stew! So delicious.
- The Best Low Carb Keto Shrimp Tacos - Oh how I love these. Super easy and quick to make.
- Low Carb Chicken Enchiladas (Keto Zucchini Enchilada Boats) - these are a fun way to use up all the zucchini coming out of the garden!
- Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers (Keto Stuffed Peppers) - one of my top recipes and a family favorite dinner idea!
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup) - the #1 soup on the website! 🙂
More Recipes You Will Love
⭐ Let's Connect
Keto Chicken Fajitas Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 (4 to 6 ounce each) boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 4 bell peppers (sliced (vary the colors to make it pretty!)
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 recipe or package fajita seasoning mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- optional for serving: avocado, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Over medium heat, saute the chicken in olive oil until chicken is done. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onions and peppers and saute until tender.
- Add chicken back to pan and stir in taco seasoning, sour cream, and cream cheese. Mix well.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
Chicken Fajita Casserole (Low Carb and Keto) is a super delicious chicken casserole recipe AND an EASY Mexican recipe! One-pan from stovetop to oven. Full of your favorite fajitas flavors, but in a tasty easy casserole. Yum. This keto chicken casserole is the perfect low carb meal for the whole family. An easy keto recipe for beginners too! #chickenfajitabake #chickencasserolerecipe #mexicanrecipe #keto #lowcarb #chicken #mexicanfoodrecipes #skillet #fajitas #tacotuesday #dinner #casserole