Chipotle crema is quick to make and is flavor bold and beautiful. From the spiciness of the chipotle peppers paired with the creamy mellowness of the sour cream and finished off with sweet sugar and zesty lime - this easy sauce is sure to become your go-to condiment in the refrigerator!
❤️ Why You'll Love This
"This creamy chipotle crema is perfect to add to any Mexican dish. I love this on tacos, quesadillas or any of your favorite Mexican meals. It adds the perfect amount of flavor and creaminess that you'll crave in every dish moving forward."
What I love most about chipotle cream is how few ingredients are needed to make it! Well, that, and how delicious it is. You'll find most of the ingredients in your pantry, and it mixes in less than five minutes.
You'll get a mixture of blended flavors to give your taste buds a heightened flavor. The chipotle peppers add a perfect amount of smoky spice to this crema. The lime zest and lime juice add the perfect touch to bring a zesty brightness to the chipotle crema.
- Make it keto: use a sugar substitute for the sugar to make this recipe keto.
- Trying to stay low carb and low fat? There are many low carb plain greek yogurt options in your local grocery stores that you can use in place of regular sour cream.
- Make it vegan: use a plant based cream substitute.
🥗 How To Serve
There are many options for serving chipotle crema! Here are some great ideas
- Make baked chicken and use this chipotle lime crema over top to add a lot of flavor to a basic dinner.
- Serve it over tacos, burritos, tostadas, steak, enchiladas, chili, soup, and more.
- Use this as a dipping sauce, and serve at your next party with tortilla chips.
- You can also use this crema as a dressing on your favorite salad. My suggestion would be a taco themed salad with fresh bell peppers, onion, tomatoes, shredded cheese and topped with tortilla strips.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this creamy chipotle crema recipe:
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo - we used canned chipotle in adobo for this recipe. It is easy to get at your local grocery store in your Mexican food section with the other canned goods.
- Sour cream - feel free to use alternatives for your cream base. I suggest Mexican crema, plain greek yogurt, or a plant based based option if you need something dairy free or vegan.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Ground Black Pepper
- Granulated Sugar - you can also use a sugar substitute to make this sugar free
Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions!
Equipment and tools needed to make this chipotle lime crema:
- Medium-size Mixing Bowl - use to complete recipe
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Zester or Microplane
- Small Cutting Board
- Small Chef Knife
- Mixing Spoon
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to your chipotle sauce:
- If you are unable to find canned chipotle in adobo in your grocery store you can substitute chipotle powder for the flavor and spice in the recipe. The chipotle in adobo adds extra flavor and spices to the crema.
- If you like a spicy sauce, add additional chipotle peppers or more of the chipotle sauce from the can, chipotle powder or red pepper flakes before blending for additonal spice.
- If you want it milder, use only one chipotle pepper and remove the seeds before chopping.
Here's how to make this chipotle crema recipe:
For complete instructions, please see the printable recipe card below.
Start by prepping all the ingredients.
Add all prepared and measured ingredients to a small mixing bowl.
Stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready for use.
Adust crema thickness and seasoning to desired preferences.
💭 Top Tips
- Make this crema sauce as thick or as thin in consistency as you like. Using Mexican crema will make it thinner.
- Increase heat by adding more chipotle peppers or the sauce found in the can.
- Decrease heat by removing the seeds from the pepper before chopping.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Yes! You can make this dish ahead of time! I make this crema and store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for the week.
How long will this Chipotle lime crema keep?
As long as you store this in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, it will keep for at least four days.
Can you freeze this crema?
I would not recommend freezing. Because this recipe uses dairy, when frozen and then thawed, the sour cream will break and separate.
✔️ More Seasoning and Sauce Recipes
If you are looking for more seasoning and sauces, check these out:
- Enchiladas Sauce Recipe
- Smoky Sweet BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Spicy 'n Sweet Pepper Relish (No Canning)
- Avocado Dressing
- Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe
- Chipotle Seasoning
- Best Fajita Seasoning Recipe
⭐ Let's Connect
Did you try one of my recipes and love it? Let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a 5-star rating and a comment 🙂
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (finely chopped)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice and zest of ½ lime (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning (optional, but adds amazing flavor!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon table salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute (with a 1:1 sugar ratio)
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Season to taste and serve.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- Substitutions: Increase heat by adding more chipotle peppers. Use plain greek yogurt, Mexican crema, or a vegan substitute in place of the sour cream.
- Top Tips: The creme will thicken slightly in the refrigerator, dilute with a little milk or water. If you want a runnier crema to start with use Mexican crema as a base instead of the cream.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve this chipotle-lime crema with grilled pork, chicken, fish, or beef. Also goes great on tacos, enchiladas, burritos, tostadas, and nachos.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™