This air fryer chicken breasts recipe is one of my first and favorite air fryer recipes that I made and fell in love with! It is super quick--only 20 minutes with just 8 simple ingredients. You'll love how juicy, tender, and delicious they are! Low carb, paleo, keto-friendly, and gluten-free for the win!
You will love this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe
Dinner in 20 Minutes! One of my favorite ways to cook chicken breasts is in the air fryer--it's the quickest way to fully cook your chicken without drying it out. Make some quick sides like a salad or veggies for an effortless meal.
Juicy and Tender. The air fryer cooks quickly by using convection cooking, where hot air circulates through the fryer. This helps keep your meat juicy on the inside and super tender---all the benefits of frying chicken without all the grease.
Healthy! This recipe is low-carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free, and high in lean protein. Meal prep for your work week or make for a quick weeknight meal for the family.
Air Fried Chicken Breast Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make air fryer chicken breasts:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: in this recipe, I used 4-6 ounce chicken breasts. You can make more or less as needed - adjust other ingredients as needed. If you cook more than 4 of this size, you will need to cook in batches so as not to overcrowd the fryer.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: you can substitute with a different preferred oil if you want.
- Italian Seasoning: this seasoning blend typically has oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, and sage. Use your favorite blend in this recipe.
- Garlic Salt: I use garlic salt in this recipe instead of regular salt.
- Onion Powder
- Ground Yellow Mustard: this is found near the seasonings in your local grocery store.
- Ground Black Pepper
Time saver tip! You can use a store-bought salted dry rub and skip all the seasonings in this recipe. Just follow the rest of the recipe. Don't forget the olive oil.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to pin this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
Substitutions and Variations
Use any salted store-bought, or homemade seasoning blend you would like to in this recipe.
Adjust any seasoning amounts in this recipe as desired.
Use boneless skinless chicken thighs if preferred. Adjust your cooking time until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Prepare your chicken breasts a day or two ahead of time and seal them in an air-tight container, and place them in the fridge until ready to cook. This will infuse the chicken with a stronger flavor.
How to Cook Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making air fryer chicken breasts:
1. Mix all the seasonings in a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl, toss chicken breasts with olive oil, then sprinkle with the seasoning--coat evenly. (For more flavor, you can do this a day or two ahead to marinate).
3. Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F. Place chicken breast in the air fryer basket and cook for 7 minutes. Turn over and continue until chicken reaches 155 to 160 degrees F (about 3-5mins). Remove from the air fryer and tent with foil and rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
What temperature should I cook chicken in the air fryer?
Chicken breasts can rapidly dry out in an air fryer. You should cook the chicken at 375 degrees F. Testing with an instant read thermometer, remove the chicken about 5 to 10 degrees cooler than the final 165 F serving temperature, cover with foil and let rest about 10 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken will continue to rise as it sits.
How long to cook chicken breast in air fryer
Based on the size of your chicken breast will determine how long it will take to cook to a safe temperature. I start by turning the breast over after 7 minutes. I will typically cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or just until the internal temperature reaches 155 to 160 degrees. Remove them and cover them with foil for 5 to 10 minutes to allow them to rest and finish cooking so that the serving temperature is 165 degrees F.
How to Serve Chicken Breasts in Air Fryer
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with your favorite veggies, such as air-fried Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, or broccoli.
Serve with a delicious, simple side salad.
Looking for meal inspiration? Serve alongside this fresh strawberry goat cheese salad with maple balsamic vinaigrette. Perfect for the summer when fresh fruits are in season!
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts Storage
Once cooled, store your leftover chicken breasts in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can freeze them as well (great for grab-and-go meal prep) for up to 3 months.
Air Frying Chicken Breast FAQs
Yes! That is how we cook this recipe. As long as you are cooking your chicken and serving it at an internal temperature of 165 degrees, it is safe.
I find that if you pull your chicken from the air fryer when it reaches 155-160 degrees F and then tent it with foil to rest for 5 to 10 minutes when done, it finishes cooking and reaches 165 degrees F. It results in a super juicy and tender chicken breast!
You do not have to spray it before you put it in the air fryer. In this recipe, we do toss the chicken breasts with olive oil and then add the seasoning so this helps seal the chicken.
It is possible that it is overcooked. If you cook it for too long or at too high of heat, this will dry out your chicken breast quickly and then will result in a tough, chewy piece of chicken.
Undercooked chicken is the most likely reason your chicken breast is rubbery. Making sure you have the right temperature is key to a safely cooked chicken breast. If you undercook your chicken, it may result is a more rubbery texture. Undercooked chicken is unsafe to consume and may result in a food bourne illness. Safe-to-eat chicken should have a final internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Air frying is handy because it cooks so much faster than an oven and uses less power. However, there is no right or wrong answer; chicken breast in an oven is just as tasty - it's all a personal preference.
Chicken Breasts in Air Fryer
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded to equal thickness)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix all the seasonings in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl toss chicken breasts with olive oil then sprinkle on the seasoning rub, making sure to coat evenly. (Note: this can be done as early as 2 days before and it's a great way to flavor and tenderize the chicken even more.)
- Preheat the air fryer to 375℉. Place chicken breast in the basket and cook 7 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue air frying until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 155 to 160 degrees F, about 3 to 5 minutes more. (Note that the safe cooking temperature is 165 degrees F, but after removal it will continue to cook - and dry out. If you remove at 155 to 160 degrees and tent with foil, the temp will continue to rise up to the safe temperature - and still be juicy.)
- Transfer chicken breasts to a plate and cover with foil. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Any store-bought salted seasoning blend will work as a substitute for the seasonings in this recipe.
- TIPS: Chicken breasts will dry out quickly. Watch them carefully and remove when their internal temperature reaches 155 to 160 degrees. Tent with foil and allow them to sit about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a tossed green salad or a favorite air-fried vegetable such as brussel sprouts, cauliflower, or broccoli.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™