These Italian Baked Chicken Thighs are so juicy and flavorful plus they're crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. A quick and easy recipe for any day of the week. This bone in chicken thigh recipe is gluten free, low carb, and keto too!
You'll ❤️ Baked Italian Chicken Thighs
"A simple baked Italian chicken recipe that's super easy to make and is loaded with flavor. The whole family will love these!"
Flavorful! These baked chicken thighs are coated in Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese making them so tasty - it also creates a wonderful crispy skin on the outside - with juicy delicious dark meat on the inside!
Super easy. This recipe is made with only a few simple steps and 8 ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry already!
Healthy. Bonus! These baked chicken thighs are keto, low-carb, gluten-free, and paleo! No flour is used.
Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe Ingredients
Here are the ingredients will need to make these oven baked chicken thighs:
- Butter - the butter is used to crisp up the skin, but you can use olive oil instead.
- Bone in Chicken Thighs - leave skin on
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese - use the finely grated kind as it is used as a coating in this recipe.
- Italian Seasoning - a very common unsalted herb blend.
- Garlic Salt - a combination of salt and garlic powder may also be used.
- Ground Black Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes - adds a little spice to the recipe.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make Baked Chicken Thighs
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making these Italian-style baked chicken thighs:
Make Coating Mixture
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a small mixing bowl or plastic bag combine the parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic salt and pepper.
Coat The Chicken
Brush the bone in skin on chicken thighs with olive oil, then place in the bag (one at a time) and coat with seasoning mixture. Set each piece on a plate.
Melt Butter Heat Baking Sheet
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place 3 pats of butter on the sheet. Place in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the butter and heat the pan.
Remove the hot pan from the oven and place each piece of chicken skin side down on the baking sheet, in the butter.
Bake chicken thighs for 35 minutes, remove from the oven and turn the thighs over.
Return to the oven and bake for 10 to 12 more minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches (165°F).
How To Serve Parmesan Chicken Thighs
Here are a few ways to serve this recipe:
Garnish. fresh herbs such as basil or parsley make lovely garnishes.
Make it chicken parmesan. You can also serve it with your favorite pasta and red sauce! Add some mozzarella cheese on top. Keto followers can serve with zucchini noodles and a sugar free marinara sauce.
Also goes well with roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or a loaded baked potato.
Here are a few ways you can vary this baked chicken thighs recipe:
- Instead of chicken thighs, use breasts or drumsticks. Pork is also a great substitute.
- Instead of Italian spices, try giving it a Mexican twist and use taco seasoning mix, or chipotle seasoning to your coating.
- Omit the butter and substitute olive oil. Note that you still need to pre-heat the pan and oil
💭 Top Tips
- By cooking the chicken thighs skin side down in a pre-heated pan with butter makes the skin crispy - like it was fried.
- Adjust any seasoning to taste.
- Try cooking your chicken thighs in your air fryer as well! Cook at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes and flipping halfway through and continue cooking until done.
- Chicken is done when its internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F when measured with a meat thermometer.
Be sure to pin this to Pinterest for later! 🙂
Store leftover chicken thighs in an air-tight container in your refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat covered, in the microwave on 50% power until the desired temperature is reached.
Italian seasoning is delicious on chicken. Other complimenting flavors are lemon, paprika, onion, and garlic.
It is best to cook chicken at 400 degrees F. Cooking chicken at a higher heat and a shorter amount of time will allow the chicken to be very juicy and tender.
You should not cover chicken thighs when baking because they need to be exposed to dry hot air in order to crisp up the skin.
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs (Italian-Style)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teasoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl or plastic bag combine the parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Brush chicken thighs with olive oil, then place in the bag (one at a time) and coat with seasoning mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place 3 pats of butter on the sheet. Place in oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the butter.
- Place each chicken piece skin side down on the baking sheet, in the butter.
- Bake for 35 minutes, remove from oven and turn the thighs over.
- Return to the oven and bake for 10 to 12 more minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches (165°F).
- Serve and add more seasoning to taste.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Substitute chicken breast, steak, pork, or fish.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with basil and parmesan cheese. For a full meal, serve with a side of pasta and marinara sauce along with a green salad with Zesty Italian Dressing.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
More Bone in Skin on Chicken Thigh Recipes
Check out these delicious bone-in skin on chicken thigh recipes: