With this air fryer bone in chicken thighs recipe, perfectly seasoned and cooked chicken is possible - and it's SUPER simple! With only 7 ingredients and less than 30 minutes, you'll love these delicious chicken thighs with their smoky paprika and garlic seasoned crispy skin and extra juicy inside.
- Why should you Air Fry Chicken Thighs?
- Bone In Chicken Thighs (Air Fryer) Ingredients
- How To Cook Chicken Thighs in Air Fryer
- How to serve Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Thighs
- Storing Chicken Thighs (Air Fryer Recipe)
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs (Bone In) FAQs
- Bone In Chicken Thighs Air Fryer Recipe
- More Recipes To Check Out
Why should you Air Fry Chicken Thighs?
Juicy. Who doesn't love juicy chicken, I ask? The beauty of bone in chicken is that it's so easy to achieve that perfectly juicy inside.
This recipe is SUPER Easy and you'll have it on the table in less than 30 m inutes. You'll need only 7 ingredients - chicken and a few seasonings to create the rub.
Crispy. If you love crispy chicken skin with perfectly balanced seasoning - these bone-in chicken thighs are a dream.
Bone In Chicken Thighs (Air Fryer) Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make air fryer chicken thighs:
- Bone In Skin On Chicken Thighs: I love how inexpensive bone in chicken thighs are!
- Garlic Salt: A combination of regular salt and garlic powder may be used if you don't have garlic salt.
- Smoked Paprika: If you haven't tried smoked paprika you will be in love. Its a staple in my pantry and it adds a wonderful smoky taste.
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Oregano
- Onion Powder
- Ground Black Pepper
Substitutions and Variations
Bone in chicken drumsticks, wings, breasts, and quarters may be substituted. Adjust time as needed and cook until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees.
Play around with your favorite herbs to adjust the seasoning - this is a very flexible recipe. As a time saver, you can also use an off-the-shelf salted seasoning blend such as barbecue seasoning dry rub, cajun seasoning, taco seasoning, etc.
How To Cook Chicken Thighs in Air Fryer
Here's how to cook chicken thighs in air fryer:
1. Mix all seasoning ingredients.
2. Rub seasoning over dry chicken thighs.
3. Preheat the air fryer and place the thighs in the basket.
4. Air fry for 12 minutes, then turn over and cook until done. Let rest before serving.
What is the best temperature to air fry chicken?
It is best to air fry chicken between 375 and 400 degrees. You want that balance where it's hot enough to cook fast and crispy - but not so hot that it's burning, particularly with bone-in chicken (which takes longer to cook than boneless.)
How long to Air Fry Chicken Thighs?
Air fryer chicken thighs should be cooked for about 20 to 25 minutes at 380 degrees, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
How to serve Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Thighs
Serve bone-in chicken thighs with any of the following:
- Caprese Salad with Cherry Tomatoes
- Blue Cheese Wedge Salad Recipe
- Balsamic Glazed Carrots in Air Fryer Recipe
- Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Dill Pickle Slaw
- Buttery Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Crock Pot Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese - not low carb
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 🙂
Storing Chicken Thighs (Air Fryer Recipe)
Once cooled, store leftover chicken thighs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. After cooking, the thighs can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs (Bone In) FAQs
Yes, aluminum foil can be used in an air fryer, but always check the manufacturer's recommendations before using it. You want to avoid blocking the airflow of the air fryer.
An air fryer uses convection to circulate hot air, which helps food to cook faster and more uniformly than a standard oven which bakes from the bottom only. If your oven has a convection setting, this is the same function as an air fryer.
To achieve perfectly crispy skin in an air fryer, follow these simple steps.
Start by preheating your air fryer to the desired temperature, usually around 400°F (200°C).
Next, ensure the food you're cooking, such as chicken, is dry. Pat it down with a paper towel to remove excess moisture, as this will help in achieving a crispy texture.
Then, lightly brush the food with a thin layer of oil or use a cooking spray to promote browning and crispiness.
Place the food in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring that there is enough space for air circulation. Avoid overcrowding, as it can lead to uneven cooking.
Finally, cook the food for the recommended time, flipping it halfway through for even browning. Keep a close eye on the cooking process to prevent overcooking or burning.
Bone In Chicken Thighs Air Fryer Recipe
- 4 bone-in skin on chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl mix together all the seasoning ingredients.
- Dry the chicken thighs with paper towels, then rub seasoning over the chicken thighs. (Tip: for best flavor, place the chicken in a plastic bag and refrigerate 2 hours -up to 24 hours - this is optional if you're in a hurry).
- Preheat the air fryer to 380℉. Place chicken thighs in the basket, skin side down.
- Air fry for 12 minutes, then turn over and cook an additional 10 minutes until done. Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165 ℉.
- Remove chicken to a plate, cover with foil and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Bone in chicken drumsticks, wings, breasts, and quarters may be substituted. As a time saver, you can also use an off-the-shelf salted seasoning blend such as a barbecue seasoning, cajun seasoning, taco seasoning, etc.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with a green salad, coleslaw or steamed veggies.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™